“Good value in an expensive city”

Wakeup Copenhagen Carsten Niebuhrs Gade
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in Wakeup CopenHagen back in December 2013 and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a cheap place to stay. The price and location are the main draws of this hotel which makes it perfect for sightseeing groups or couples. Just a 10 minute walk to Tivoli Gardens and the train station is ideal for anyone hoping to see as much of the city as possible during their stay in Copenhagen. The rooms themselves are small but they are clean, modern and quiet, everything you could ask for from a base camp for your travels. My only negative would be the bed which was far from the comfiest we have slept in.
If you are looking to keep your trip to Copenhagen as cheap as possible, but don't want to sacrifice on a good nights sleep, look no further then Wakeup.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MattWood1312

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel was very good considering the price. Great value for the money. Service was very nice and the rooms were clean though a bit small. Highly recommended for budget travellers. The location is also very nice, only a few minutes from by bus from the train station with regular buses from right next to the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Usman K
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Im guessing that if you are reading this review you are not the type of person who looks to stop in luxury hotels but wants a clean and convenient place with private facilities at a reasonable price.
It is a bit odd that it is fairly central but there appears to be little around it in terms of restaurants etc unless you want to take a 10 minute walk. It suited it's purpose for me. I found it a quiet place with a comfortable night's sleep. The breakfast was perfectably acceptable. Its the sort of place that probably attracts school groups because of its value but the groups that were there did not disturb me in anyway.
Would I stop there again? Possibly as I don't think it is possible to find such good value any closer to the centre.

Room Tip: They appear to charge more for a higher room. As the reason you are staying here is for its value I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Michael E
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and for what we needed it was great. Was a great price compared to some hotels and was located very close to the train station and trivoli gardens. It was a great base to go explore the city, we walked everywhere, except from on the day we wanted to visit the Carlsberg Brewery. On this day we hired bikes from the hotel, which you get to use up until midnight.

The rooms are very clean and the bed was comfy. Perfect for crashing out in after a busy day. We were lucky to be on the 8th floor, in a corner room, meaning we had two windows (perhaps this made our room seem bigger). We had a view of the train tracks and out to the river. There was some construction work going on outside that woke me up one morning, but it wasn't a big problem in the scale of things.

Would stay here again on a future trip to Copenhagen.

Room Tip: High Floors are well worth the little extra for the view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren R
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel was perfect for my stay in Copenhagen. I especially liked the price. I did pay the upgrade fee to get an early check-in and a change to an upper floor. The view was spectacular and worth the extra bucks. The reception area was very business-like and not overly friendly. It is very close to Tivoli Gardens and the train station. The room was clean and comfortable. I did have a problem trying to find any food close by. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I would pay the extra bucks for the early check-in
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jayne S
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Rude management

I could give this hotel a few more stars for its location, for the "okayness" of the rooms, for the "alright" showers, for the easy-but-way-too-expensive-parkingfacilities.
But...! But, but,but.... I have been to WakeUp Copenhagen twice and both times, I have been completely chocked by the rudeness of the managing personal. Not the regular staff, 'cause they have all been friendly to me, only the managers.

The managers have on two occations proven to be very little capable of that serviceminded flexibility that is vital in case of unforeseen events.

On my second stay at WakeUp Copenhagen one manager and what I believe was an assistant manager (titles seem important to them) were completely unwilling to help me make up for a mistake that was clearly made due to their online booking system at the reception area. Even when confronted with the facts that the problem was on their part, the manager refused to pay me back the 100 something kroner for their mistake. Only pressured by me wanting to report the incident to Horesta, the manager decided to change her mind. All this for a lousy 100 something kroner!

So if you are planning a stay at a WakeUp Copenhagen, make sure you do not do anything - at all - to make the staff "have to ask the manager". Then you should be alright.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Wippin
Egefjord, Direktør at Wakeup Copenhagen Carsten Niebuhrs Gade, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Wippin,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience and stay at Wakeup Copenhagen. We are very sorry to read your bad review about our management and want to state in this forum as well that none of our staff is rude. If anyone appears strictly by confirming some rules which are non changeable or flexible this is part of our concept, but rude is different and unacceptable.
None of our management team has been contacted by you or appears to have spoken to you and to solve this happening we would like you to contact us personally and we will look up your case.
We are all working in the service industry because we would like all our guests to be satisfied, of cause this is not always the case, but at least we are a legitimate business and honest.
If anyone makes a mistake as you state we want to apologise directly to you – please give us the chance to look into this case from August 2013.

Best regards,
Team Wakeup

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I actually quite like the concept of this type of hotel where each room is like a pre-fabricated box with well designed, standardized fittings.

However, the WakeUp is just on the wrong side of minimalist, with no where to store anything (not a single draw or shelf). You are provided with 4 clothes hangers with a fixed rail to the wall, and that's it.

This means you have no where to store anything other that what you can place on the 4 hangers. Very strange.

The room is very tiny (we've now gone from a box to a capsule!). Bathroom is pretty funky as it's integrated in the room and surrounded with frosted glass. Might be interesting if you're sharing a room with someone you don't know too well! The water pressure is great - lovely power shower.

I stayed at the front of the hotel which overlooks the busy main railway track. "WakeUp Copenhagen?" - you're not kidding. Very poor sound proofing and the trains kept me awake. I was on the 7th floor as well! Ask for a rear facing room.

Breakfast was also minimalist and was a bit like a school canteen. Very poor choice as well. Bread, ham, pre-packaged cheese slice. Some basic cereals and that was about it.

Ok for a budget and it's a very clean, modern hotel. Just don't bring too much with you as no where to put anything !

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dancaz4

Dear dancaz4,
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Wakeup Copenhagen. We are sorry that you find our concept to “extreme”, but it is correct that our rooms are as you describe them.
We do only offer 1 luggage rack in each room as extra storage and try to visualise our rooms and equipment with pictures on our homepage.
You are always welcome to make a request about the location about your room and we will do our very best to fulfil it.
Regarding the breakfast – for only DKK 70,- for adults and DKK 35,- for children under 12, we consider it a good deal.
If you or other guest would like to have a little more variety we are located just next to Tivoli Hotel – so if necessary that would be an option for a price of DKK 170,-
Again we are sorry that you did expect more, but we are happy to hear you liked our main concept and modern bathrooms. We hope you all in all had a nice stay in our wonderful city and would like to welcome you back with us in the future.
Best regards,