“Terrible Hotel! Don't book it!”

First Hotel Esplanaden
Ranked #97 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
“Terrible Hotel! Don't book it!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

the worst thing was the cleanliness. We saw 5 different rooms because we were complaining and all of them had a few no-go's. Dirty sheets with dark hair and spots on it. Mold on the bathroom walls and the shower curtains. Dirty matresses. Altogether the Level of cleanliness was really bad. In the end they gave us their best room, the suite and it was better but still the cleanliness was a problem. When we checked out, we once again told the manager that we were disappointed about the condition of the rooms and she was sorry but explained, that this was just a 3stars Hotel. I think that that every Hotel no matter if it has 3 or 5 stars should provide a certain level of cleanliness. The Interior was ok and the staff was friendly, location was great but I would'nt recommend it. The worst Start for a nice City Trip!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank SheIlovesI2travel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I am not going to lie, I had my doubts when booking this hotel after some reviews were off putting. I arrived there with a friend and were happy. The room was on ok size for two people.
It was warm which I was happy with after being out there in the cold in january. Slightly disappointed with the size of the bathroom and interior I found it too small and a bit plain At night time after going out my friend and I used the facilities to get hot drinks and some fruit before going to our rooms. I liked that touch makng you feel homely. We had breakfast and it was good. Very good selection fruit salad, croissant, cereal, egg not just boiled scrambled too, sausage bacon. One of the best I have seen in a hotel for a while. I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. It is not far from the little mermaid statue , shops and restaurants. I will most definetly comeback.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Antananarivo, Antananarivo, Madagascar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I chose the hotel from photos from a website.The location was very good,in frond of a lake and park.Very very good breakfast,and also coffee and fruits available alla day for free!
The service was very good and the people were always available to help and to give you guide.
The hotel gave you the opportunity to rent bikes to travel around the city.

Room Tip: Rooms with window outside with view to the lake and park are better.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel several times and found the quality of the rooms to vary quite a bit (I booked a single). All were quiet and clean, most were ok in size with a double bed and relatively small bathroom, but some were very small - think of a small single bed with a little walking space next to it and a shower the size of a regular, square shower box cut in half along the diagonal.
I like the free coffee, tea, and fruits in the lobby, although recently the coffee is no longer free.

Room Tip: The top floor is not for tall people!
COPENHAGEN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

I chose the hotel because I had stayed there before. The hotel is very centrally located and, provided you take a room towards the back of the hotel, very calm. The buffet breakfast is great. Unfortunately the service depends on individuals at the registration. I arrive late at night. The room I was had not been cleaned, hair in the bed etc.. No apologies, I had to carry my suitcases myself to another room and felt that such situations must be handled better if they occur.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Lausanne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

The First Hotel Esplanaden is located near the Kastelet, the old military citadel near Oesterport. It is not exactly centered, but many attractions are within a reasonable walking or biking distance. The room was small but clean, the bathroom functional. It was quiet at night despite the rather large streets around it, so that we slept well (despite having a bit backpain due to the quite soft mattrass). Breakfast was OK, but nothing spectacular. All in all, it was alright, but not really worth the price (but Copenhagen is notoriously expensive).

Room Tip: Obviously, rooms on the backside are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Tallinn, Estonia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

It was suggested by WHO to stay there for a meeting, and that is why I wen there.
Terrible Hotel, unbelivabel that it is functioning in Copenhagen, during the 21st Century. The staff unpleasant, service terrible. NO SOAP OR SHAMPON in the bathrom. Was trying for 10 minutes to reach the reception by phone.....So whent dowan and On my question, where is shampoo, I was told that I need to buy it, as Hotel servie does not inlude it....Imagine, XXI st century with no soap in the bathroom. Nothing else is working in the room, and you need to be lucky, if found one electric plug which is working, so you can charge your mobile or use computer.

TERRIBLE< TERRIBEL HOTEL!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels