“Very good hotel centrally located”

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Copenhagen
Ranked #36 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This modern icon is a very good hotel for business or for exploring Copenhagen as a tourist. It is centrally located right across from the train station (though the area is not sketchy at all) and Tivoli Gardens. The hotel itself has been restored very nicely. Our room (310) was a family room and it was huge. It easily slept two adults and two children, and in a surprise, it had two bathrooms, which was really nice. The hotel staff were very helpful with all of our requests. The only issues I have are that the elevators are very small for a hotel of this size and thus there are often lines to get up or down, particularly when the frequent large tour groups are checking in or out. Second, while the food in the restaurant is very good, the menu is surprisingly limited. These are the only issue which keep me from giving the hotel an excellent rating.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 July 2011

The location and rooms were wonderful. Modern and quiet. But the service was superb. We will go back there again

Room Tip: Great bathrooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I spent a long weekend in Copenhagen and made my third visit to Radisson Blu Royal Hotel.

I love the location of the hotel almost next to the railway station, so it is easy to get there from the airport. I also think the hotel has a good location to many of the interesting sights, wonderful streets around the Roundtower, Tivoli, Stroget. The slight noise (the cncert) of Tivoli never botheres me. Well, after a long shopping day I was tired when I walked back to the hotel with my shopping bags from Nyhavn, but one can't get everyting.

The hotel is not a cheap one, but in Copenhagen nothing is really cheap. The price level is what it is and you get to accept it if you travel to Copenhagen. This time I had a club corner room on the 17th floor (if I remember right) and the view over the town and to Tivoli was wonderful! I was really willing to pay for it - but that is just once, next time I think I would no longer appreciate it that much. I was even able to see from my room to the sea and on a bright day see clearly Oresundsbron. Great! For the first time I also had a bathroom with big windows - and nicely the curtains as well - good e.g to take the shower :)

The room was of a good side for two people, but I do not really think one could live there properly if there were extra bed. Also, I do not know if the extra beds are even allowed in this hotel or if the rooms are strictly for one or two people. At least from one of the previous posters I understand that the front desk did not accept extra beds and to be honest, I understand it, but it is of course up to each party - if the rules of the hotel or local security rules allow it. Once I have stayed at this hotel in the single room and even if it is OK for one or two nights, I do not recommend it for a longer period, as it is very small.

The breakfast upstairs at Alberto K was delicious, but nothing to die for. It was included to my room price, but if it had not been, I think I would not have been willing to pay for it every morning.

The service in the front desk was once again most helpful. I had hoped that the service provided by consierge would have been more polite this time, but unfortunately it was not. They (those "older men" there) are not rude, do not get me wrong, but they make me feel like any of my questions would be the most annoying ones. They do answer, but are never friendly. OK, they help you for their work only, not for personal passion, but does it have to be so evident? And I go to ask for help from them once or twice during my visit only! What annoys me most is that the only time they have been more helpful was when I was there for work and they evidently treated me diffently only because I was there wearing a jacket and high heels. I think it is very unfair - and my holiday outfit is also elegant enough. I do not run there in loysy T-shirt and ripped of jeans. And even that should not make any difference!

What worried me most this time was that I left two bags (one suitcase, one smaller bag) to the consierge on my last day. I got the receipt of the suitcase with a mark of that I had left two bags, but no label was put into my smaller bag. When I asked for it, the consierge said it was not needed. They took my bags next to the door of the (locked) room with few other suitcases already there and for some reason allowed my bagd to be waiting there for some 45 minutes prior to transfering them to the locked room. I decided to stay in the lobby to wait for that I see the bags being moved from the lobby after I realized that after 10 minutes they were still there (the time I had used to queue and make my check out). I was mostly worried as the bags were next to the elevators and anyone passing by could have easily taken my smaller back at least. And last but not least, when I came to pick up my bags, the older consierges were too busy to react to me, but a nice bell boy came and picked my bags for me - except he needed me to point out my other bag, as it had no label in it!

But apart from consierge, I like the hotel, mostly because of it location and could very well return there.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MaijaH
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We did a family trip of 9 people (5 adults & 4 kids) for a European cruise out of Copenhagen and needed a hotel for a couple of nights to see a bit of the city before heading out on the cruise. We did alot of research as to the best hotels, and the Radisson Blu Royal came up as a the place to stay given the architecturally significant building and central location. The location is about all that is going for it - kitty corner to Tivoli Gardens. The rest is very dissappointing. The hotel and rooms are very dated. I understand that the 1960's style architecture is famous, but at the very least change the carpeting. I just didn't get a "clean" feeling when you walk around the hotel and the rooms. The rooms are tiny, the elevators cramped, and there's an old odour that permeates throughout the hotel. We had 3 rooms, all corner club rooms. Given that we had 9 people in our party, you would figure that it wouldn't be a big deal to get an extra cot in each room. Wow, were we wrong. The first night we had an extra cot because we had spoken with the maid staff who arranged it for us. When the front desk management got wind that we had an extra bed, the extra cot disappeared the next day while we were out. When we called about where the bed went, the front desk said that we were not entitled to an extra bed, so they took it away! We had young children who take naps in the afternoon, and we didn't have enough beds for them. The hotel management was not sympathetic at all, and indicated that the hotel would extra bill us for the extra bed, if they could find one! At this point, we were upset and the we called down three times to request an extra bed, but the front desk indicated that the rooms we were in could not accommodate an extra bed (even though we had one the first night!). Even the maids were sympathetic to our plight. We've done alot of travelling and stayed at many hotels, but this hotel management did not seem to understand the concept of customer service, and continually reverberated the "rules" of the hotel relating to extra beds. It's disappointing to see the hotel maids more concerned about good customer service compared to the front desk management. After this experience, we cancelled our post-cruise return stay at this Radisson and booked somewhere else. We got the sense that this hotel is being carried along solely by architectural reputation and the management staff is too complacent and not focused on customer service. Given that this hotel is one of the more expensive ones in town, I would be surprised if the hotel gets any repeat business, or if it relies solely on one-time vacationers to Copenhagen.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ggke
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We selected the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel for our trip to Copenhagen due to its handy location and its interesting history. It was really convenient to be able to walk up from railway station to the hotel in just a couple of minutes after coming into town from the airport. And we liked being located directly across from the Tivoli Gardens. Our room looked down onto the gardens and gave us a perfect view of the firework display over the gardens. We went to a concert inside Tivoli and loved the atmosphere in there on a summer evening. Our room-rate did not include breakfast and we went across the road to the information centre for breakfast each morning. They had a better value choice and it was a useful place to plan the day. We were interested in the Arne Jacobsen design style inside the hotel. Although we did not see the original room 606, which still features his original furnishings, his vision for the hotel was still evident in the current style and furnishing. Staying in this design hotel from the mid 20th Century made our trip to Copenhagen a little more distinctive and memorable. Overall, it was a very enjoyable stay and a pleasure to experience this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a high room looking over the Tivoli Gardens
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peltt
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Located across from Tivoli Gardens and convenient walking distance to major attractions the hotel was spotless in excellent condition and quiet. Rooms are large and unique in style. Staff was accommodating and breakfast buffet was very good with a wide assortment of baked goods, fruits and meats.

Room Tip: Ask for Tivoli view room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here for 3 nites before a Baltic cruise. Very nice overall. Easy walk from the central train station. You can take a fast train from the airport. I give it only a 3.5 star. Not 5 star.
2 complains is that the Breakfast at the hotel is very expensive, stay away. You can get very good coffees and pastries at the information center across the street. I do not like the outdated Danish decor of the hotel. Some may like it.

• Stayed: July 2011