“A ruined stay”
Review of Hotel Christian IV

Hotel Christian IV
Ranked #20 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights Bed and Breakfast, paid for two nights Bed and Breakfast. I was very disappointed with the standard of the room we were given, room number 401. The carpets are extremely worn and the bathroom is very poorly maintained - however we had a wonderful stay until we departed. As we were unable to stay for breakfast, we had a taxi to the airport at 7.15am, we went into the breakfast room at 7am to find not all the selection of food available, the waitress was still setting up. We proceeded to make three rolls, with the only filling available (cheese) and was rudely told that we were not allowed to take out food. When I explained we were leaving and therefore unable to sit and eat she huffed and puffed!!! I went to reception to complain, a lady (who didnt look up from the computer during out "conversation") also said you cannot take food out. I politally pointed out that I had paid for this food and exited the building. We consequently sat outside in the cold feeling like shop lifters!!! and waited for our taxi. What a sad way to end what could have been a lovely weekend break, despite the very poor quality of the room this is the thing that I will remember from Hotel Christian.

Room Tip: Avoid room 41, very poor quality
4  Thank Paula C
ChristianIV, General Manager at Hotel Christian IV, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Paula C,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am sorry that this incident ruined the overall impression of your stay. It is true that we have a policy of not taking food from the buffet for later consumption. We simply want to make sure there is enough food for everyone whether early or later risers. We believe this is fair for all.
Our breakfast personale have sent their apologies to you via e-mail which I was under the impression that you accepted.

Respectfully,
Kasper Jorgensen

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I looked for reasonably priced hotels for quite a while before booking 3 nights at the Chistian IV. We arrived at 11:30 am and the manager on duty advised us that the single we booked was a very small room and that she did not think we would be happy with it. For a very small upcharge, we could have a double. We agreed. We found a clean but no frills room with a great window view of the courtyard. The Danish breakfast was very good and the coffee and cockies available 24/7. The staff was helpful and polite all day and night. The hotel is in a great location to sightsee located less than a block south of the palace and only a few blocks north of Nyhaven. One day we rented bikes from the hotel and were able to see most of the city. If you are looking for a good value and want to be in the middle of it all, this is the hotel for you.

2  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Very comfortable and stylish room in very pleasant hotel in ideal quiet residential and park location. Superb breakfast buffet, highlights of it were the unique and efficient cheese slicer, melt in your mouth pastry, healthy chewy buns and a wide assortment of preserves, fruits and cereals. Front desk staff was helpful and ambience was excellent. Guests were extremely friendly too which tells me that they also were enjoying themselves.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a weekend. I booked Christian IV based on the reviews I read.
I can't say it was bad, but I was expecting better for the price I paid.
The location is good - in a calm part of Copenhagen and close to the centre.
The breakfast was ok and you'll have coffee, tea and soft drinks available all day.
The rooms are far from being great - don’t expect luxuries.
It was definitely too expensive for what we got but I believe that’s the reality of Copenhagen – a beautiful but very expensive city.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was quite surprised when I opened my hotel room door and found a room about the size of a dorm room with about the same amount of ambiance. The lighting was meager which made the room even more depressing and there was barely space for me to open my carryon suitcase. On the positive side, the bathroom was nice and clean with great water pressure in the shower. The real clincher, however, was the bed. I have not slept (or should I say not slept) on such an uncomfortable bed since a trip to China ten years ago. I have never had back problems, but found I was developing them and literally could not get to sleep at night. I did catch a glimpse of some of the other rooms, which looked a bit roomier and friendlier, so maybe I just got the bad luck of the draw -- never stay in a single! The lovely breakfast room and hardy breakfast in the morning helped make up for the depressing room. The location is great -- on a fairly quiet street very close to the Rosenborg Castle and the King's Gardens which made for a delightful jog in the morning. The Danish people are friendly and welcoming; true to form, the staff was nice, but generally clueless about some of the hotel's amenities. When I asked about a fitness facility that was advertised on the website, two clerks seemed dumfounded and suggested that it should be listed in the hotel book in my room (I had checked, it wasn't). All in all, thits hotel is overrated. It could be a wonderful stay, but wasn't.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here (whether you travel alone or with a companion), I would ask for a doub...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor recommendations. We were very, very disappointed. The hotel is shabby and we were not made to feel welcome upon check-in. We were told that they didn't have anyone who could help us with our luggage. One of the guests there helped us stuff our bags into the miniscule lift. The room was tired looking and the beds were no more than camp style cots with a mattress about 2" thick. The pillows were lumpy and very uncomfortable. Our bathroom had broken tiles in it. Toiletries were miniscule and of poor quality. At one in the morning there was a very loud party in an apartment across the street. We called the front desk to ask if they could call the police. The man on duty told us he wouldn't as the police wouldn't come anyway. Around two in the morning we asked the front desk for the number of the police department. We called the police who immediately responded and broke up the party. We were finally able to go to sleep. The neighborhood is quite nice, although at night the street can be somewhat noisy. For this hotel to be considered a three star hotel is a fraud.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
3  Thank ecinreb2013
ChristianIV, Direktør at Hotel Christian IV, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Ecinreb2013,
First of all I am terribly sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay at our hotel. As a small hotel we take pride in offering personal service and care and therefore it hurts me to hear that we failed to live up to your expectations formed by good reviews on Tripadvisor.
I anticipate that you ordered an extra bed for your double room due to triple occupancy and therefore you would have received a rollaway bed for the third person. I apologize if the rollaway bed was not comfortable enough and up to the standard of our regular beds. I will check the state of our rollaway beds personally.
With regards to our night guards failure to react with a solution to the noisy people in the adjacent building to the hotel I am also truly sorry. He should of course have reacted to your first request. We will take the necessary action to avoid this in the future.
Although we are very sorry to hear about your experience, we are glad that you have directed your discomfort at us as it gives os the chance to improve our services.
Should we have the chance to win back your business please write my personally so that we can do everything in our power to make it up to you again.
Kasper Jorgensen

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed here for work and leisure. You are located right in the centre of the city. Perfect for site seeing, shopping and getting in and out of the city.
The hotel rooms were clean and comfortable.
The breakfast was really good and they hotel provides tea, coffee, pastries and biscuits throughout the day, which is a nice treat.
It is also relatively affordable by Copenhagen standards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business