“Excellent location for exploring”
Review of Ibsens Hotel

Ibsens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
UK
“Excellent location for exploring”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our room was located against the central light well so I cannot comment directly on people's issues of noise however our travelling companions who were against the street said that noise continued throughout the night with traffic and pedestrians at all hours.
The public areas of the hotel are finished to a high standard, the reception staff were all friendly and extremely helpful. The room was a little disappointing as the quality finish outside didn't continue through the door, plug sockets were few and one didn't work at all, there was a cable running across the ceiling to the main room light that drooped loose. The bed itself was comfortable and we slept well, the location is excellent for exploring Copenhagen, most things are within walking distance, the only time we used transport was to get to the zoo.
We found the cost for hotel breakfast to be very high so each day headed to the Torvehallerne covered market with its bakeries and coffee shops which were much better value.
I would recommend this hotel, we found nothing wrong with it, just things that could be finessed.

Room Tip: The internal room had no noise issues.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sattamassagana
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience :-) I am very happy you will like to recommend our hotel, thank you! If you will like to elaborate on what to be improved, you are most welcome to contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk with your feedback. This will be much appreciated.

Stine Jørgensen / Ibsens Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We had a junior suite, which we received because we had booked to stay in the Hotel Kong Arthur (sister hotel behind the Ibsen) on our first night, but for some reason, they had overbooked. So we stayed here for one comfortable night. (went back to Kong Arthur in the morning!) Large bed, all the facilities you need, but the wardrobe was very minimalistic and of the "open" variety, with no doors - is this an Ikea thing?

Shower and bath in a large sized bathroom, with a sofa, chair and lots of lamps. Room felt a bit like something out of Ikea, but had a very comfortable feel.

We breakfasted at the Kong Arthur (because of the overbooking, we were allowed free breakfast), as the selection was better, but the food at the Ibsen Hotel was not bad too!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank osalinda
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely area with restaurants and bars just 10 minute walk into very centre of city.
Quite stylish decor, however no chair in our room (walking past several other similar size rooms with open doors could see they had one and in some cases two!) with a few other things which are due to lack of attention to detail I won't go in to.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to either business users or couples wanting a slighter quieter area yet tourist attractions within easy reach. Really easy to get from the airport too! (Catch the metro to Norreport station costs about £4 yet hotel less than 5 mins walk from station)

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Loubird123
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy you will like to recommend our hotel to your friends :-) If you would like to elaborate on the details you noticed, you are more than welcome to contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk. I will love to hear from you. Hope to see you back!

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Firstly the location was fab, just a few minutes walk from the metro station in the centre, great location also for walking the city and site seeing on foot. Hotel staff are wonderful, friendly and the reception bar/lounge area is very nice. The room was a little disappointing, the bed was far too soft for me, and I slept badly the whole time we were there, very few electric sockets worked, so using the hairdryer or charging phones was limited although there were lots of sockets around. In our room there was a dropped down area with a desk and chairs, it didn't feel comfortable to sit around there and I personally would have preferred a wardrobe in that space rather than the hooks on the wall which didn't really work for me. It wasn't a comfortable room to hang around in which is just aswell as we spent our days walking around the city. Although breakfast was pleasant I missed normal tea, only coffee and herbal teas on offer. My partner missed cooked food a little as the options were cold sandwiches, yoghurts, smoothies, croissants. He does like something warm to start the day when we stay in hotels but what was on offer was healthy and pleasant enough. Cozy Hour is not to be missed, A free glass of wine in the lounge/bar area where you can mingle with other guests is a lovely idea. Plenty of food options nearby too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank ycart77
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! Thank you for mentioning the problem with the sockets. We run a monthly check on all rooms, but can I ask you to please contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk stating your room number? Then I will make sure this is fixed immediately, because of course the sockets have to work properly. I would hate it if I myself could not at least recharge my mobile :-)

I am glad you liked the hotel despite not being impressed by the room. It is true that the rooms are very minimalistic in design. This is to create the essense of the area we live in; minimalistic but stylistic. If you did not recognise the pieces of applied art in the room, the hangers are Muuto, the bed cover, pillows and desks are Hay etc. The beds are medium hardness Jensen beds. And I am happy to let you know we just changes our breakfast concept in to a more traditional breakfast with for instance bread and cold meat :-) I hope you will be back to try it and review it :-)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 19 March 2014

A nicely furnished, extremely well located hotel. The only negative was that the room was not very well insulated against noise from the corridor and the street. The street isn't actually very trafficked, but even a child running on the pavement below (and we were on the 4th floor) resonates loudly in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street for quieter rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Dursten
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hotel is in very good location near Norreport metro station.
I stayed in a medium room which had good beds, working table but very small bathroom.
You would hit the wall if you move faster inside there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad to hear you slept well :-) All of our rooms have high quality Jensen beds as it is very important to us that our guests get a good night's sleep. As for the room size, our Medium rooms are our large single rooms/small double rooms approx. 12-15 sqm big and with beds that are 140 cm wide. We like to think of these rooms as budget rooms for the lovebirds on city break who like to lay close :-) As we describe on our website, we have room categories larger than this; up to Junior Suites which are about 30 sqm with double beds (180 cm wide), so next time please feel free to try a larger room category :-)

I hope to welcome you back to Ibsens Hotel!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights in the middle of February 2014. The hotel is in a great location, a short walk from Norreport station which itself is 15mins from the airport on the Metro. The hotel appears to be in a large old building but decor and fittings are very modern Scandinavian. We stayed with two young children (4 and 2) and had booked a large room. Check in was painless and efficient and our room was ready even though we turned up well before the official checking in time.

The room we were given first however was very tired. There were markings on the wall and it felt a little dilipadated despite the modern furnishings. Not at all like the lovely rooms in the rafters we had seen in the pictures! However after my wife went down to reception to tell them they immediately gave us the choice of two rooms on the top floor. We chose the second room which was lovely with a slightly quirky layout but enough room to accommodate two fold up beds for the children.

All in all we had a great experience and the hotel proved to be very good value in what is supposed to be one of the most expensive cities. Oh, and don't forget the daily 'cozy' hour between 5 and 6pm when you get a free glass of wine and get to chill out in the large reception / dining area and, if you like, mingle with other residents and perhaps locals!

We'll definitely be heading back here if we're back in Copenhagen.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! So good to hear you had a great stay. I am quite surprised you were able to stay four people in a large room, though - we normally recommend at least an X-Large room for families. However, nevertheless I am very happy you had a good time :-)

Yes, the rooms with the wooden rafters are on the topmost floor (my favorite rooms, so charming), so cool you like them too. I am glad you got to stay in one of these - and yes, if you have any special room requests, please just ask. Then we will always do our best to meet your wishes.

I look forward to seeing you back at Ibsens Hotel!