“Average hotel, good location”
Review of Ibsens Hotel

Ibsens Hotel
Ranked #15 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good location, within walking distance to the tourist centre. We booked a Family room (2+2), but the actual room was nothing like what was shown on the photos.

Likes:
- Location
- Price (not cheap, but cheaper than similar hotels in the same part of the town)
- Very nice bakery at the end of the bloc (forgot the name)

Dislikes:
- Lack of wardrobe in the room
- Extremely soft pillows
- Not the best housekeeping
- Breakfast in a separate building
- Expensive public parking on the street (if you can find a spot).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy you have taken your time to share your experience :-) As I do not know where you have booked your stay, I am not sure which pictures you have seen. However, on our website we try to show the variety in our rooms, despite this being a bit challenging, as having an old historical building means having many paculiar corners and shapes. You are always more than welcome to ask for a new room or request for a specific room in advance, if you have special preferences. On our website, we have also described the reason why we for instance have chosen not to have a big closet in the rooms.

The name of the bakery is Bageren i Nansensgade (the bakery in Nansensgade) :-) Normally, breakfast is in the lobby, but during Christmas when you stayed here, we offered our guests an upgrade to the 4-star breakfast buffet at Hotel Kong Arthur just across the courtyard.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience! I hope to see you back :-)

Stine Jørgensen / Ibsens Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,195)

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My second stay at the Ibsen's Hotel in Copenhagen.

This time I had to stay a whole week on business.

Rooms are small, but modern. No air condition. No minibar. No proper workspace for your Laptop.

Also, there is no guest computer to use, so bring your own.

No doubt that Ibsen's Hotel have the best beds in any Copenhagen Hotel, and no doubt that the location is perfect, regardless what your agenda is.

Breakfast charge is DKK 125,00, which is outrageous by any European standard.

All the "extras" the Hotel claim to have - though they apparently seem free of charge - cost extra.

My room had a hand wash which didn't work from day one. It was stuffed, and the water didn't run out.

I then mentioned it to the staff who promised to take care of it. Of course nothing happened.

Day two I asked them twice politely to do something about my hand wash which was essentially useless. Again - no action taken.

Day three I ask again politely, thinking that they will now do something, but no, again no action.

Wednesday late afternoon I complained for the first time, asking them to do something about the bloody hand wash NOW, but I was arrogantly told off by the receptionist who apparently couldn't deal with it.

Thursday afternoon, day before I was leaving, someone made the hand wash work.

I seriously question if this is Scandinavian efficiency at large?

Had I been an American, British or German tourist, staff would have clapped their heals together immediately and solved my issue. But being a native Danish living abroad, I was given an arrogant snob attitude.

Besides, this Hotel have cleaning staff and staff controlling the rooms everyday, so if these people really do their job, how could they not identify things that don't work in the rooms?

Go here for the location, forget everything about service, because it doesn't exist.

Room Tip: The rooms to the street may have a better airflow, given there is no aircon.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for coming back to Ibsens Hotel! I am sorry to hear you did not feel well treated here during your second visit. I am very surprised, though, that you had this experience with the staff, so could you please contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk stating your reservation number? Then I will look into the matter immediately. Also please elaborate on which free of charge extras you think were not free of charge.

As this was your second visit, I must say I wonder why you are surprised about the no air con, no minibar and small rooms. As we are a 3-star hotel, this is completely in line with our star qualification. If for instance a minibar is important to you, I can recommend you to visit our 4-star sister hotel Kong Arthur next door. Just a small note; as both hotels are carbon neutral, clearly stated on the web site, we do not have air con at either hotels. Besides being bad for the environment, this is only required for 5-star hotels.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Ok there aren't any wardrobes but if you are only staying for a night or two this isn't a major issue! The hotel is very easy to get to just 5 minutes walk from Norreport Metro and 10 minutes from the city centre. Reception staff were very helpful and our room was comfortable and clean (not very large but we hardly spent any time in it so it didn't matter). Breakfast was just right for us. We also ate at the Tapas restaurant which is part of the hotel - very good and we had live flamenco guitar and dancing to accompany the meal! Would stay at Ibsens again if visiting Copenhagen

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience! I am very happy Ibsens Hotel was just what you needed :-) We changed our breakfast concept medio March, so I am very happy to learn you like our new concept!

I hope to see you back, next time you are in Copenhagen.

Best,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed for a week on a recent business trip. I booked it because of the convenient location, which turned out to be not too convenient as there is no parking.
On arrival turns out they have no wardrobes in the rooms. There where 2 hooks on the wall, and only one hanger!! I had to ask reception for more hangers, but even that did not realyl solved it. I stayed for a week! You bring a bit clothing for a week...
The bathroom was the size of one shower cubicle. I could sit on the toilet and wash my hands an have a shower at the same time. The toilet was converted into a shower by pulling a courtain to try to stop the toilet paper to get wet---which did not always worked either.
They only put shower gel in my bathroom on the 3rd day, gladly I had my own.
There was one little shelf 30cm wide to put things on it, that was it. And it was dusty as well.
There was some kind of green slime around my tab at some point, which was probably cleaner left over. (I hope...)
The bed's are super soft, if you like that its perfect for you; I had back pain after a week.
The internet was super slow as well, which is a bit annoying if you have to work and try to connect to the office. I also tried to skype my family at one point but gave up as the connection was too bad.

The breakfast was average, not a big selection but ok.
Very friendly staff in the breakfast room though and at the reception.

We went to the italian? restaurant one of the evenings, but the staff there was a bit rude so we did not go again.

Parking is an absolute nightmare in this part of the city. You pay a lot of money for the hotel parking space or you can drive around for an hour trying to find something. But that seems to be a general issue in Copenhagen. Parking impossible or expensive.
Next time I would book a bit away from the city centre, as the city is anyway quite small, and then prefer to have better parking and cheaper hotel. (which has a wardrobe in the room)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sheep81

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for taking your time to elaborate this much on your experience :-) It seems like the hotel was not exactly what you were looking for. However, I will like to make up for a few misunderstandings.

Beside from our convenient location with a 5 minute walk to Nørreport metro station, we have our own parking lot just behind the hotel with 50 parking spaces. You enter the parking lot via the address Nansensgade 49.

I totally understand that the wardrobe with the design boxes and Muuto Dots is not sufficient when bringing a lot of clothes. The style of the hotel is Scandinavian minimalism, and we have decorated the hotel to capture the essence of our neighborhood. If you prefer a more traditional hotel and would still like to stay in this area, I can definitely recommend our 4-star sister hotel Kong Arthur next door.

I hope your business trip went well and that you had a great experience in Copenhagen :-)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our room was located against the central light well so I cannot comment directly on people's issues of noise however our travelling companions who were against the street said that noise continued throughout the night with traffic and pedestrians at all hours.
The public areas of the hotel are finished to a high standard, the reception staff were all friendly and extremely helpful. The room was a little disappointing as the quality finish outside didn't continue through the door, plug sockets were few and one didn't work at all, there was a cable running across the ceiling to the main room light that drooped loose. The bed itself was comfortable and we slept well, the location is excellent for exploring Copenhagen, most things are within walking distance, the only time we used transport was to get to the zoo.
We found the cost for hotel breakfast to be very high so each day headed to the Torvehallerne covered market with its bakeries and coffee shops which were much better value.
I would recommend this hotel, we found nothing wrong with it, just things that could be finessed.

Room Tip: The internal room had no noise issues.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sattamassagana

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience :-) I am very happy you will like to recommend our hotel, thank you! If you will like to elaborate on what to be improved, you are most welcome to contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk with your feedback. This will be much appreciated.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We had a junior suite, which we received because we had booked to stay in the Hotel Kong Arthur (sister hotel behind the Ibsen) on our first night, but for some reason, they had overbooked. So we stayed here for one comfortable night. (went back to Kong Arthur in the morning!) Large bed, all the facilities you need, but the wardrobe was very minimalistic and of the "open" variety, with no doors - is this an Ikea thing?

Shower and bath in a large sized bathroom, with a sofa, chair and lots of lamps. Room felt a bit like something out of Ikea, but had a very comfortable feel.

We breakfasted at the Kong Arthur (because of the overbooking, we were allowed free breakfast), as the selection was better, but the food at the Ibsen Hotel was not bad too!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank osalinda
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely area with restaurants and bars just 10 minute walk into very centre of city.
Quite stylish decor, however no chair in our room (walking past several other similar size rooms with open doors could see they had one and in some cases two!) with a few other things which are due to lack of attention to detail I won't go in to.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to either business users or couples wanting a slighter quieter area yet tourist attractions within easy reach. Really easy to get from the airport too! (Catch the metro to Norreport station costs about £4 yet hotel less than 5 mins walk from station)

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Loubird123

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy you will like to recommend our hotel to your friends :-) If you would like to elaborate on the details you noticed, you are more than welcome to contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk. I will love to hear from you. Hope to see you back!