“Quirky hotels, just needs curtains!”
Review of Ibsens Hotel

Ibsens Hotel
Ranked #20 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Berks
“Quirky hotels, just needs curtains!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Nice hotel in a good central location. The metro is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and goes directly to the airport. You can easily walk to sights like the mermaid from the hotel. There is also a food hall and nice pub close by.

Likes- very quirky, not your average clinical run of the mill hotel
- central, safe location
- spacious rooms
- Quiet for a main city
- large wet room

Dislikes- lack of curtains- we stayed up in the eaves of the building and there was only an ill fitting blind, with NETS at the other two windows. this meant the room was very light at night.
- carpet could do with a shampoo

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy to hear you had a good stay at Ibsens Hotel :-) Also, thank you for the feedback regarding the curtains. We are just about to make small renovations all over the hotel with for instance new shower curtains in the bathrooms, more wardrobe space etc., so I will tell my colleague in charge of the renovation to take a look at the curtains as well! We are actually also just about to change a new series of amenities, so hopefully you will like this as well :-)

I hope to see you back at Ibsens Hotel sometime soon!

Best regards,
Stine Jørgensen / Ibsens Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I thought this hotel was very good and I didn't have a problem with excessive noise on the 3rd floor. You could hear some noise from the street, but it's a city centre hotel. Very well located near Norreport Metro station which is only 13 minutes from the airport! I have to say, although we booked a 'Large' bedroom (size was OK) the bathroom was only about a metre square! Everything was clean and worked well though. Cosy hour from 5-6pm gave free glasses of red wine in the lounge area, a nice touch although it wasn't particularly cosy! The nearby market was amazing and had great places for coffee, pastries and full meals - don't miss Bottega della Pasta for the best fresh pasta you will ever eat.

Room Tip: Other people suggest higher floors are better. I would maybe suggest booking a large or extra large...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I would like to clarify this is a great hotel. I can't comment on the in house restaurant or the breakfast because I haven't opted for them, however the rooms have got some nice features to them (6th floor have painted wooden beams throughout), plus TV range was broad (we had the 3pm Saturday English Premier League kick off amongst the channel offerings) and nearby are a lot of convenience stores and reasonably cheap bars (at least by Copenhagen standards). Norresport station is also very close by, plus the free WiFi is extremely welcome.

No problems with the noise, but please be careful with the location as the TripAdvisor app puts the place two miles away, so please check other sources for the location first! Not a disaster, but wasn't great after a day of traveling.

Staff are brilliant including giving a great and tailored recommendation for where to go for the day, with all of the receptionists speaking fluent English (as well as most of the locals to be honest).

I would clarify that a) you don't get a bath, albeit it is a full on wet room and b) the double bed is actually two singles pushed together, but with a couple of extremely effective mattress toppers (one memory foam), so it not immediately noticeable and certainly not a problem for me.

The hotel is a great balance of location, quality and price, which is exactly what I needed from it, which is what my recommendation is based on.

1 Thank IOMThorpe
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy the hotel was just what you needed :-) Next time, if you would like a bath, I can recommend our corner rooms (junior suites), which have bath tubs and a shower.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Asker, Norway
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good location, within walking distance to the tourist centre. We booked a Family room (2+2), but the actual room was nothing like what was shown on the photos.

Likes:
- Location
- Price (not cheap, but cheaper than similar hotels in the same part of the town)
- Very nice bakery at the end of the bloc (forgot the name)

Dislikes:
- Lack of wardrobe in the room
- Extremely soft pillows
- Not the best housekeeping
- Breakfast in a separate building
- Expensive public parking on the street (if you can find a spot).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy you have taken your time to share your experience :-) As I do not know where you have booked your stay, I am not sure which pictures you have seen. However, on our website we try to show the variety in our rooms, despite this being a bit challenging, as having an old historical building means having many paculiar corners and shapes. You are always more than welcome to ask for a new room or request for a specific room in advance, if you have special preferences. On our website, we have also described the reason why we for instance have chosen not to have a big closet in the rooms.

The name of the bakery is Bageren i Nansensgade (the bakery in Nansensgade) :-) Normally, breakfast is in the lobby, but during Christmas when you stayed here, we offered our guests an upgrade to the 4-star breakfast buffet at Hotel Kong Arthur just across the courtyard.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience! I hope to see you back :-)

Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My second stay at the Ibsen's Hotel in Copenhagen.

This time I had to stay a whole week on business.

Rooms are small, but modern. No air condition. No minibar. No proper workspace for your Laptop.

Also, there is no guest computer to use, so bring your own.

No doubt that Ibsen's Hotel have the best beds in any Copenhagen Hotel, and no doubt that the location is perfect, regardless what your agenda is.

Breakfast charge is DKK 125,00, which is outrageous by any European standard.

All the "extras" the Hotel claim to have - though they apparently seem free of charge - cost extra.

My room had a hand wash which didn't work from day one. It was stuffed, and the water didn't run out.

I then mentioned it to the staff who promised to take care of it. Of course nothing happened.

Day two I asked them twice politely to do something about my hand wash which was essentially useless. Again - no action taken.

Day three I ask again politely, thinking that they will now do something, but no, again no action.

Wednesday late afternoon I complained for the first time, asking them to do something about the bloody hand wash NOW, but I was arrogantly told off by the receptionist who apparently couldn't deal with it.

Thursday afternoon, day before I was leaving, someone made the hand wash work.

I seriously question if this is Scandinavian efficiency at large?

Had I been an American, British or German tourist, staff would have clapped their heals together immediately and solved my issue. But being a native Danish living abroad, I was given an arrogant snob attitude.

Besides, this Hotel have cleaning staff and staff controlling the rooms everyday, so if these people really do their job, how could they not identify things that don't work in the rooms?

Go here for the location, forget everything about service, because it doesn't exist.

Room Tip: The rooms to the street may have a better airflow, given there is no aircon.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for coming back to Ibsens Hotel! I am sorry to hear you did not feel well treated here during your second visit. I am very surprised, though, that you had this experience with the staff, so could you please contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk stating your reservation number? Then I will look into the matter immediately. Also please elaborate on which free of charge extras you think were not free of charge.

As this was your second visit, I must say I wonder why you are surprised about the no air con, no minibar and small rooms. As we are a 3-star hotel, this is completely in line with our star qualification. If for instance a minibar is important to you, I can recommend you to visit our 4-star sister hotel Kong Arthur next door. Just a small note; as both hotels are carbon neutral, clearly stated on the web site, we do not have air con at either hotels. Besides being bad for the environment, this is only required for 5-star hotels.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Ok there aren't any wardrobes but if you are only staying for a night or two this isn't a major issue! The hotel is very easy to get to just 5 minutes walk from Norreport Metro and 10 minutes from the city centre. Reception staff were very helpful and our room was comfortable and clean (not very large but we hardly spent any time in it so it didn't matter). Breakfast was just right for us. We also ate at the Tapas restaurant which is part of the hotel - very good and we had live flamenco guitar and dancing to accompany the meal! Would stay at Ibsens again if visiting Copenhagen

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience! I am very happy Ibsens Hotel was just what you needed :-) We changed our breakfast concept medio March, so I am very happy to learn you like our new concept!

I hope to see you back, next time you are in Copenhagen.

Best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed for a week on a recent business trip. I booked it because of the convenient location, which turned out to be not too convenient as there is no parking.
On arrival turns out they have no wardrobes in the rooms. There where 2 hooks on the wall, and only one hanger!! I had to ask reception for more hangers, but even that did not realyl solved it. I stayed for a week! You bring a bit clothing for a week...
The bathroom was the size of one shower cubicle. I could sit on the toilet and wash my hands an have a shower at the same time. The toilet was converted into a shower by pulling a courtain to try to stop the toilet paper to get wet---which did not always worked either.
They only put shower gel in my bathroom on the 3rd day, gladly I had my own.
There was one little shelf 30cm wide to put things on it, that was it. And it was dusty as well.
There was some kind of green slime around my tab at some point, which was probably cleaner left over. (I hope...)
The bed's are super soft, if you like that its perfect for you; I had back pain after a week.
The internet was super slow as well, which is a bit annoying if you have to work and try to connect to the office. I also tried to skype my family at one point but gave up as the connection was too bad.

The breakfast was average, not a big selection but ok.
Very friendly staff in the breakfast room though and at the reception.

We went to the italian? restaurant one of the evenings, but the staff there was a bit rude so we did not go again.

Parking is an absolute nightmare in this part of the city. You pay a lot of money for the hotel parking space or you can drive around for an hour trying to find something. But that seems to be a general issue in Copenhagen. Parking impossible or expensive.
Next time I would book a bit away from the city centre, as the city is anyway quite small, and then prefer to have better parking and cheaper hotel. (which has a wardrobe in the room)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheep81
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for taking your time to elaborate this much on your experience :-) It seems like the hotel was not exactly what you were looking for. However, I will like to make up for a few misunderstandings.

Beside from our convenient location with a 5 minute walk to Nørreport metro station, we have our own parking lot just behind the hotel with 50 parking spaces. You enter the parking lot via the address Nansensgade 49.

I totally understand that the wardrobe with the design boxes and Muuto Dots is not sufficient when bringing a lot of clothes. The style of the hotel is Scandinavian minimalism, and we have decorated the hotel to capture the essence of our neighborhood. If you prefer a more traditional hotel and would still like to stay in this area, I can definitely recommend our 4-star sister hotel Kong Arthur next door.

I hope your business trip went well and that you had a great experience in Copenhagen :-)