“Conveniently Located Hotel”

Ibsens Hotel
Ranked #21 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
“Conveniently Located Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in a "medium" sized room, which was fairly small. Despite it's size, the room was comfortable enough, although the 3/4 double bed did seem to get smaller night by night. The bathroom was clean with a wet room shower. The light in the bathroom was good for putting on makeup, something in my experience is quite rare. We didn't experience any noise issues during our stay, which is always a plus. There are luggage storage facilities in the basement of the hotel.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Norrebro metro station, making it extremely convenient to get to and from the airport (15 minutes each way). You need to purchase a 3 zone single ticket. The ticket machines in the airport accept notes, but the ones in the city only accept coins and cards.
There is a food market just by the metro station, which has lots of options for breakfast and lunch. We found this to be reasonably priced in a very expensive city. The hotel is in a good place to explore and there are plenty of food and drink options within walking distance. If you like your beer, we recommend the Norrebro Brewhouse which is about a 15 minutes walk away.
Our only slight complaint is that the room did not have a wardrobe, just 3 hangers around the walls and open shelving at the foot of the bed for folded clothes, which we realised was very dusty when we put on our clothes on day 2.
We would recommend this hotel, but if we returned we would opt for the bigger room.

2 Thank AnnaNickB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is quite central with metro, s-train and lots of bus nearby. It's 10min walking to the main shopping area and conveniently close to most sights. The room size and cleanliness level are ok (we didn't like the curtain in the shower...). The breakfast is good but could have greater variety. Staff friendliness is fifty fifty.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Berks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Nice hotel in a good central location. The metro is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and goes directly to the airport. You can easily walk to sights like the mermaid from the hotel. There is also a food hall and nice pub close by.

Likes- very quirky, not your average clinical run of the mill hotel
- central, safe location
- spacious rooms
- Quiet for a main city
- large wet room

Dislikes- lack of curtains- we stayed up in the eaves of the building and there was only an ill fitting blind, with NETS at the other two windows. this meant the room was very light at night.
- carpet could do with a shampoo

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy to hear you had a good stay at Ibsens Hotel :-) Also, thank you for the feedback regarding the curtains. We are just about to make small renovations all over the hotel with for instance new shower curtains in the bathrooms, more wardrobe space etc., so I will tell my colleague in charge of the renovation to take a look at the curtains as well! We are actually also just about to change a new series of amenities, so hopefully you will like this as well :-)

I hope to see you back at Ibsens Hotel sometime soon!

Best regards,
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I thought this hotel was very good and I didn't have a problem with excessive noise on the 3rd floor. You could hear some noise from the street, but it's a city centre hotel. Very well located near Norreport Metro station which is only 13 minutes from the airport! I have to say, although we booked a 'Large' bedroom (size was OK) the bathroom was only about a metre square! Everything was clean and worked well though. Cosy hour from 5-6pm gave free glasses of red wine in the lounge area, a nice touch although it wasn't particularly cosy! The nearby market was amazing and had great places for coffee, pastries and full meals - don't miss Bottega della Pasta for the best fresh pasta you will ever eat.

Room Tip: Other people suggest higher floors are better. I would maybe suggest booking a large or extra large...
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I would like to clarify this is a great hotel. I can't comment on the in house restaurant or the breakfast because I haven't opted for them, however the rooms have got some nice features to them (6th floor have painted wooden beams throughout), plus TV range was broad (we had the 3pm Saturday English Premier League kick off amongst the channel offerings) and nearby are a lot of convenience stores and reasonably cheap bars (at least by Copenhagen standards). Norresport station is also very close by, plus the free WiFi is extremely welcome.

No problems with the noise, but please be careful with the location as the TripAdvisor app puts the place two miles away, so please check other sources for the location first! Not a disaster, but wasn't great after a day of traveling.

Staff are brilliant including giving a great and tailored recommendation for where to go for the day, with all of the receptionists speaking fluent English (as well as most of the locals to be honest).

I would clarify that a) you don't get a bath, albeit it is a full on wet room and b) the double bed is actually two singles pushed together, but with a couple of extremely effective mattress toppers (one memory foam), so it not immediately noticeable and certainly not a problem for me.

The hotel is a great balance of location, quality and price, which is exactly what I needed from it, which is what my recommendation is based on.

1 Thank IOMThorpe
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Ibsens Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy the hotel was just what you needed :-) Next time, if you would like a bath, I can recommend our corner rooms (junior suites), which have bath tubs and a shower.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Asker, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good location, within walking distance to the tourist centre. We booked a Family room (2+2), but the actual room was nothing like what was shown on the photos.

Likes:
- Location
- Price (not cheap, but cheaper than similar hotels in the same part of the town)
- Very nice bakery at the end of the bloc (forgot the name)

Dislikes:
- Lack of wardrobe in the room
- Extremely soft pillows
- Not the best housekeeping
- Breakfast in a separate building
- Expensive public parking on the street (if you can find a spot).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy you have taken your time to share your experience :-) As I do not know where you have booked your stay, I am not sure which pictures you have seen. However, on our website we try to show the variety in our rooms, despite this being a bit challenging, as having an old historical building means having many paculiar corners and shapes. You are always more than welcome to ask for a new room or request for a specific room in advance, if you have special preferences. On our website, we have also described the reason why we for instance have chosen not to have a big closet in the rooms.

The name of the bakery is Bageren i Nansensgade (the bakery in Nansensgade) :-) Normally, breakfast is in the lobby, but during Christmas when you stayed here, we offered our guests an upgrade to the 4-star breakfast buffet at Hotel Kong Arthur just across the courtyard.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience! I hope to see you back :-)

Vilnius, Lithuania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My second stay at the Ibsen's Hotel in Copenhagen.

This time I had to stay a whole week on business.

Rooms are small, but modern. No air condition. No minibar. No proper workspace for your Laptop.

Also, there is no guest computer to use, so bring your own.

No doubt that Ibsen's Hotel have the best beds in any Copenhagen Hotel, and no doubt that the location is perfect, regardless what your agenda is.

Breakfast charge is DKK 125,00, which is outrageous by any European standard.

All the "extras" the Hotel claim to have - though they apparently seem free of charge - cost extra.

My room had a hand wash which didn't work from day one. It was stuffed, and the water didn't run out.

I then mentioned it to the staff who promised to take care of it. Of course nothing happened.

Day two I asked them twice politely to do something about my hand wash which was essentially useless. Again - no action taken.

Day three I ask again politely, thinking that they will now do something, but no, again no action.

Wednesday late afternoon I complained for the first time, asking them to do something about the bloody hand wash NOW, but I was arrogantly told off by the receptionist who apparently couldn't deal with it.

Thursday afternoon, day before I was leaving, someone made the hand wash work.

I seriously question if this is Scandinavian efficiency at large?

Had I been an American, British or German tourist, staff would have clapped their heals together immediately and solved my issue. But being a native Danish living abroad, I was given an arrogant snob attitude.

Besides, this Hotel have cleaning staff and staff controlling the rooms everyday, so if these people really do their job, how could they not identify things that don't work in the rooms?

Go here for the location, forget everything about service, because it doesn't exist.

Room Tip: The rooms to the street may have a better airflow, given there is no aircon.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for coming back to Ibsens Hotel! I am sorry to hear you did not feel well treated here during your second visit. I am very surprised, though, that you had this experience with the staff, so could you please contact me directly at stj@arthurhotels.dk stating your reservation number? Then I will look into the matter immediately. Also please elaborate on which free of charge extras you think were not free of charge.

As this was your second visit, I must say I wonder why you are surprised about the no air con, no minibar and small rooms. As we are a 3-star hotel, this is completely in line with our star qualification. If for instance a minibar is important to you, I can recommend you to visit our 4-star sister hotel Kong Arthur next door. Just a small note; as both hotels are carbon neutral, clearly stated on the web site, we do not have air con at either hotels. Besides being bad for the environment, this is only required for 5-star hotels.

I look forward to hearing from you!