“For private rooms, there are better options...”

Generator Copenhagen
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here with a friend for two nights and we regretted not spending a bit extra to stay elsewhere. The place is fine, but it's basically like the Applebee's of hostels -- lots of perky decor and staff, but scratch just a little bit and you'll get to its corporate core. It felt like being in the Lego movie.

As you'll see on many of the other reviews (besides the great ones, of which I'm a bit suspicious considering how carefully they clearly monitor these reviews), the staff are hit or miss -- some are friendly and helpful, but many others seem secretly miserable and hate dealing with anything that deviates from the norm. They often seem more interested in being patronizing than helpful. I think you can get a sense of this if you look at all the comments they put on the poor and terrible reviews -- this is more or less the tone you ought to expect at the front desk. And they are (or at least claim to be) completely bound by whatever the computer will allow them to do for anything, so don't expect any kind of flexibility.

To be fair, the place is relatively clean, centrally located, and seems safe -- so if that's all you're looking for, you'll probably be satisfied. If this is your first time in Copenhagen, I think you'll be much happier somewhere else. I can't speak to the value of staying in one of the dorm rooms, but I definitely don't think it's worth the price for the private double room. If you get a deal online, you can go down the street or stay in a different part of town for the same price or even less. And even if you were to just walk in somewhere else, you'd only end up paying a bit more. I booked this place in a bit of a panic when I realized how much hotels were, but we stayed on the other side of town our third night there and had a much better experience (for 20 Krone more, plus that place had free coffee and pastries so it probably came out close to even -- you won't find anything for free at the Generator). I'll certainly never go back here and would discourage anyone I know, but I guess it just depends what you're looking for and what your budget is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Alison D, Receptionschef at Generator Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Luke W,
Thanks for your feedback. Our staff try their very best to give you a great experience here, that is our main aim, and it's a shame that you feel otherwise. Expect great service and happy vibes here. We will take your comments on board and hope you choose to check us out again next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,698)

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I feel I need to start this by saying that I don't often stay in youth hostels. However most accommodation standards are fairly universal, this is what I have aimed to list below:
Positives:
- very clean
- modern in both the bedroom and public areas
- great location, close walk to many nearby attractions
- overall staff are friendly and helpful
- great vibe, public areas are always busy and inviting
Negatives:
- be prepared to be in party Central (take earplugs.) we were on the second floor and the noise from the in house DJ and nearby street made sleep somewhat of a challenge
- we were lucky that the weather was quite warm whilst we were there. However the room had no fan or aircon so we had to rely on windows. With the previously mentioned street noise we were unable to sleep with the widows open and it felt like a sauna in the morning
- breakfast is 75k, whilst convenient it was nothing to rave about, we much preferred to head to a local cafe
Overall the stay ticked a lot of boxes, however there is still room for some improvement..

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Alice W,
Thanks for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the very clean rooms, design, location, helpful staff and great vibes allround. We very rarely experience days where aircon is needed, but will of course take your feedback on board. Your comfort is our priority! Thanks again, and look foward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a lot of hostels allready so I know a bit what I'm talking about and I can only say that your one is great! It's clean, huge but still cosy, friendly, bar included and so on. Yes, it's not the cheapest hostel, but I would say I spend this ~5€ more for a dorm bed, because it's worth it ;)
The beer could be a bit cheaper :p
Thanks for your hospitality and your daily activities are really a nice idea. Stay like that and I'll come back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PeterOrkus
Alison D, Receptionschef at Generator Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hi PeterOrkus
Thanks for your great review! We are happy to hear that you had a good time here, enjoyed the atmpshere, bar, friendly staff, and all the events. We look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Very trendy and loud [at night]. Lounging area is nice. PC's to use. Photobooth. You can rent bikes from them as well. There is a car park if you drove there. Live DJ's on the weekends. I stayed in a 6 bedroom bunker style with dedicated restroom for us. They had breakfast and dinner service but I didn't get a chance to try it. Close to the train station. Close to the Nyhavn. Close to city center with all the bars and clubs. Close to Strøget (Europe's longest pedestrian shopping area). Prices are reasonable considering how busy they were. The only thing that was slightly annoying was that the WiFi was cutting in and out in the room. From my experience, food and drinks can be pricey so be prepared.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Alison D, Receptionschef at Generator Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear atjig,
Thanks for your great review. Happy you enjoyed yourselves here and enjoyed the rooms and atmopshere. The free wifi is usually very strong, so if you are experiencing any issues, please do come see us in reception. Thanks for staying and hope to welcome you back here soon!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We arrived at 2 am in the night, the receptionist people were so friendly and kind, just forced us to wake up at 10 and join to the freewalk tour. We and my friend stayed in a 8 person mixed dorm, everything was fine. I would definetely recommend for the futures visitors to obey whatever receptionist people say..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Kerim Ufuk D
Thanks for the top marks! Happy to hear our night team gave you a big warm welcome and recommended our free walking tour. It is absolutely worth it! A big thanks from the team here and hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I was excited to book the Generator as our first accommodation on our month-long journey through Europe, but apprehensive as well. Generator did a great job as a hostel! My daughter and I had a private double room which was microscopic but clean, very functional, and very groovy. Breakfast (optional upcharge for each meal) was plentiful if basic, and tasty. Get there early to avoid big crowds. The breakfast/common area gets pretty lively and loud in the evening, so if you want a quiet evening, ask for a room on a high floor (we received one high just from pure luck). Great location, and a fabulous start for our journey---good neighborhood, and easy to walk anywhere.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mcgonagallmom
Alison D, Receptionschef at Generator Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear mcgonagallmon,
Thanks for staying with us. Happy to hear that we lived up to your expectations and more. We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you a great trip through the rest of Europe!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The front staff were efficient, helpful and friendly. The room, bathroom and toilet were spotlessly clean and really modern. Bed was comfortable. Room was actually fairly quiet as well. Wifi excellent, both in room and common area.

AVOID BREAKFAST at the hostel! Numerous reviewers have complained about it and I can confirm that, for us, it was a rip off.

We were treated very unreasonably by the guy managing the breakfast. We arrived at the breakfast area ten mins before it was due to close. We asked if we were in time to have breakfast and he responded "yes" and took the money. We then discovered there was no milk or yoghurt for the cereal and all the bread was gone. So our options were a plate of pure cheese and meat, or some dry cereal.

We assumed the breakfast guy hadn't realised almost all the food was gone. Fair enough - honest mistake. There was nothing really for us to eat so went back and let him know and asked for a refund. No worries - we can get our breakfast somewhere else today. To our surprise, he got angry and refused to give us a refund, and accused us of somehow doing the wrong thing. He argued with us and claimed he told us that "it is closing" and therefore we somehow just had to eat the cheese and meat and not get our money back.

But the problem was, he never told us anything like that. Furthermore, we were fully aware that breakfast was closing. But we we were *not* aware almost all the food was gone!

He refused to refund us the money we had just paid for the breakfast. Instead he put some meat and cheese on a plate and signalled that would be our breakfast - take it or leave it.

A refund for the price paid for breakfast is a totally reasonable request, given there was barely any food, and we didn't feel like eating a plate of cheese and meat.

I let him know that we didn't want the plate of meat and cheese. In the end, he still refused to refund us, but gave us some cheap cereal, yoghurt and juice. This was still not what we would have had from the buffet had it been properly stocked, but given we had asked for a refund twice, we were sick of wasting our time on this guy and gave up.

The other morning the breakfast was adequate. When there are no problems, it would be acceptable to most travellers. But when there is a slight issue, it appears that the default position is "the customer is wrong" and they just dig their heels in for no reason.

This tarnished our experience which would have otherwise been excellent. I feel I am being generous in giving an "average" rating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vandirk

Hi vandirk, I am concerned about your review. Can you please contact our Operations Manager Martin Christensen directly on martin.christensen@generatorhostels.com so he can have a full account of your experience and we can look into this. Thanks for staying with us and all the best.