“Nice outdoor lunch area to see and be seen”

Restaurant Galionen
Ranked #469 of 2,731 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

1 of the lunch places along the whole row of cafés and restaurants. Food is typical at tourist prices as expected. The fried plaice with shrimps is nice. Club sandwiches are ok in sizeable portion.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Came here on a weekday during lunch when Nyhavn was very busy. Salmon, herrings, Carlsberg beer all tasted perfect.

1  Thank Emigre_grise
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were here on a Sunday evening in August 2014 to get good food. The place is in a very popular, and therefore also touristy area. However, looking at the prices, we expected decent food.
Unfortunately it wasn't decent. I had fishsoup and the rest of my family had mussels for the main course. Neither meal was satisfactory. The mussels tasted alright and were served nicely. However, all three servings came with a lot of empty mussels or mussels which didn't open. My sister counted them and she alone had 10 empty/closed mussels, which accounted for almost a third of her portion.
The fishsoup came with small pieces of salmon and little bits of shellfish as described in the menu. It wasn't exactly a big portion, I assume I would have got almost the same portion if I had chosen it as a starter. Again, looking at the price for the dish, I would have expected a lot more and better quality. The soup itself did not meet my expectations at all. When it was served, it already had a skin on it. Judging from the temperature of the plate, I assume that it was heated up in a microwave and left too long afterwards so that the skin could build up on it. I don't know the details of course, this was just my impression. The worst of all was, however, that I strongly suspect that the base of the soup was not prepared in the restaurant but tasted like it was bought in a big bucket ready to heat up and serve. You could taste the saffron in it, but it tasted like any other ready meal. The texture of it also added to this feeling.
Adding to the already disappointing experience, there were at least two short hairs in the soup. I stopped eating after finding the second one.
Some of the service staff were almost rude; they definitely did not make an effort to make you feel comfortable and welcome.
The fishsoup was priced at 199 DKK (~ £22.5, 28€). Even considering the excellent location, anything higher than the equivalent of £10 would have been strongly overpriced for the quality of the food.
If a foreign bank card (both debit and credit cards) was used to pay, an additional charge was added.
We didn't want to make a fuss and therefore just paid and left, but I can definitely not recommend this place. We were very disappointed.

1  Thank Wiebke S
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a great lunch for 18 persons. Good service, and friendly staff. Very good "stjerne skudd" and other dishes. Absolutely a place to take lunch in Nyhavn

1  Thank RogerOI
Reviewed 20 July 2014

our first day in Copenhagen, we were tired, hungry and thirsty. we found an outdoor table and sat down for lunch. location was fantastic - right on Nyhaven. beautiful scenery and we were there on a sunny day - life was beautiful. food was good. our party of 7 ordered a variety of items. the picky eater ate ice cream and fruit. wife had a burger, and it was good.

I wanted something authentic and local, and ordered a plate consisting of Plaice served 2 ways (fried and grilled), and some baby shrimps. the good was very good, although personally i found the fried plaice to be very fishy - moreso than the grilled, which is unusual. I assume this has to do with the fish, and not this restaurant. They had fantastic Carlsberg on draught, which made everything better.

it was rather pricey, as are all of the restaurants along Nyhaven. for instance, we paid 60 dkk for a draught beer, whereas we could buy a bottle of the same beer for 12 dkk at a convenience store near our hotel. Food was similarly marked up. I am glad we sat there - it is truly a fantastic spot on the globe - but in hindsight would have been better off (economically) just having a beer and then going elsewhere for food.

1  Thank the5allens