“Welcoming and helpful”

Ranked #6 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming and helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for his birthday at the beginning of February. The hotel replied promptly to my emails checking the reservation and arranging a birthday surprise bottle of wine in our room. When we arrived we were met by the marvellous Sean who was warm, witty and friendly. The wine was in our room as planned, together with a lovely handwritten note wishing my partner a happy birthday, plus some fruit and chocolate.

The room wasn't large but it was spotless. Bed was comfortable and we didn't hear a thing from the street outside, though I could imagine that with the window open there would be some noise. There were some...let's say, lively...street life and some shops selling interesting items in the neighbouring streets, but I never once felt threatened or uneasy. I might have felt slightly differently as a woman travelling solo, but the area is well lit and busy so it wouldn't put me off. It's very close to the station and Tivoli as well as some good restaurants.

Breakfast was delicious, with pastries, coffee, cheese, pate, breads and fruit/yoghurt/seeds and so on.

Staff all spoke excellent English and gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble. Overall, we had a great time and would recommend this hotel - in fact we are planning to return later in the year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZDBarklow
Karen N, Owner at Andersen Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for an excellent review and for choosing your birthday celebration at Andersen Boutique Hotel.

We are always happy to help organising your trip beforehand. The Danes like to plan restaurants visits well in advance. We recommend making dinner reservations beforehand and then change it upon arrival if needed. You are more than welcome to contact us, we are happy to assist in any way.

Vesterbro is slowly changing from a run down area to a hip neighborhood. The Meatpacking Area is fun and offer some nice restaurants, nightclubs and art galleries. Restaurant Kul (Coal) is the newest restaurant with great reviews. Mikkeller Beer Bar is located next street and you may also enjoy Mikkeller at Andersen Hotel.

The complimentary Breakfast is a cold Buffet. Thank you for your compliments.

We are pleased to hear you will be back later this year and we all look forward to see you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aarhus, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed in January 2014. I arrived in horrible weather a Monday evening. Having only had a sandwich in the late afternoon, I wanted a light meal. The inventory in the room said that sushi could be ordered from the lounge bar. Great, I thought and went down. Alas, the receptionist told me, this was not possible, but the sushi bar was only 50 meters away. So I went to get my overcoat, mittens and hat and ventured into the street - only to find that said sushi bar was closed on Sundays and Mondays. Well, the area was packed with restaurants and cafes, so I found another place. Upon my return to the hotel, I told the receptionist that he should not bother to send more guests to the sushi bar. He said he was terribly sorry about this. I said "never mind, I got some good food anyway". But then he replied that this was his fault, and he gave me half a bottle of white wine to take to the room as compensation . Overall, the staff was very friendly. On the flip side, I would say that the room was pretty cold, in spite of the heating being turned up to max - and there was no heating in the bathroom, and the mattress was too soft for my bad back. But overall, a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the yard, not the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SmallDane
Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We truly appreciate any feedback as we always try to improve our services. All guest reviews and comments are valuable tools used in this proces.

Unfortunately, many restaurants in Copenhagen are closed Sunday and Monday. I am sorry you had to experience this, but trust our Receptionist will remember this includes Bento. We are making a Restaurant list of where to go on those days.

The room heating has been controlled and we trust all rooms are warm and cozy. You are always welcome to inform the Front Desk of any concerns you may have. We have some small handy heaters to use on the cold and extremely windy days.

We look forward to welcome you back in the future.
County Donegal, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We booked this hotel after reading numerous reviews of many hotels on Tripadvisor & had a stay that exceeded our very best expectations. I contacted the hotel by phone & e-mail several times before our stay & on all occasions my queries were answered in full, instantly.
No more than 2 to 3 minutes walk from Central Station, the hotel was easy to find. As soon as we entered the foyer the tone for our stay was set with a warm & very friendly welcome from Sean at reception. A quick check in that was full of good relevant information & we were quickly in our non smoking room with a complimentary welcome bottle of wine, courtesy of Sean. The only negative of our stay was the size of the room which was definitely on the small side but we didn’t visit Copenhagen to spend all our time in a hotel room, so it was just a minor inconvenience for us. In the room, a very comfortable double bed with good quality bed linen, large wall mounted tv, wardrobe, safe, small fridge, large mirror, workstation, smoke alarm, folding luggage rack, 2 chairs, several lamps & carpeted floor. It was very clean, a nice temperature with good natural light & even though we faced on to a busy street, we had no issues with noise from inside or outside of the hotel. Light switches did not need the room card. There was no iron or ironing board in the room but when I asked at reception, I returned to our room with both with me.
The bathroom was also a bit tight for space but still squeezed in a large shower enclosure/shower curtain with very good water pressure & plenty of hot water, tiled floor, painted walls, plenty of towels, good quality toiletries, mirror, hairdryer & shaving socket. Towels & toiletries were replaced daily.
Breakfast was very good, continental style with cereals, cold meats, cheeses, fantastic breads, pastries, croissants, yoghurts, honey, jams, marmalade, peanut butter, toast, pickled herrings, boiled eggs, fruit slices, nuts, dried fruits, tea/coffee, flavoured teas, fruit juices & for the brave, Danish bitters to warm you all the way down to the toes. Stella that looked after the breakfast buffet was very attentive & exceptionally friendly & like every staff member that we encountered, ready to give tips on places to see & things to do.
At reception in the mornings & afternoons was Anna- Mette who, like Sean & Stella, was a font of great information, was exceptionally helpful & friendly & always took the time to have a word or two of advice & was always ready to give some great tips on her city.
The (free) wine hour, between 1700 & 1800, for hotel guests in the quirky & very comfortable foyer was a great opportunity to meet other guests & Sean (yes, him again) certainly went about entertaining everybody that was present. In the row of 5 tables that we sat at there were guests from The UK, USA, Mexico, The Netherlands & ourselves from Ireland.
Free coffee was available from the coffee machine in the foyer & there was a pc with free internet & printer, also in the foyer. We were given 2 room cards & the lift was controlled by room card at the ground floor. Prices for beers etc from the fridge in the foyer were reasonable by Copenhagen standards. There were 2 complimentary English language newspapers available, China Daily & a local Danish national. We checked out at midday on our final day in Copenhagen & left our luggage, free of charge, for several hours in the hotel’s left luggage room whilst we went off to finish our sight seeing.
The hotel, location wise, was perfect for exploring the city. As mentioned earlier, just a few minutes walk from Central Station & close to City Hall & Stroget. At the end of the street was a bus stop for the No. 26 bus which takes you, amongst places, to the Little mermaid. There were many restaurants in very close proximity to the hotel & Sean (yes, again), was available to recommend depending on your taste. He recommended a Thai restaurant to us, located within 2 minutes walk of the hotel, Wok Baren, where we had 2 excellent meals. If fast food is your preference there were many such outlets within easy walking distance, Burgerking, McDonalds, Hard Rock cafe etc.
Some information for anybody planning to visit Malmo. We spent one night there & travelled back to Copenhagen airport from there. Trains were every 20 minutes, took approx 35 minutes from Copenhagen to Malmo & cost us in total for both of us, 288 Danish Krone, Copenhagen Central to Malmo Central & next day return to Kastrup Airport.
I can’t really say enough positives about our stay at the Andersen Hotel. It was an excellent hotel with friendly & attentive staff & I’d give it more than 5 if the Tripadvisor ratings would let me. The best compliment I can give is to say that when we were leaving, it felt like we were saying goodbye to some old friends

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Gaildorfblues
Thank you for a very detailed, helpfull and brilliant review.

By sharing your wellwritten review future guests will know what to expect and get some great suggestions on how to explore Copenhagen.

The Wine Hour is a nice way to meet and mingle with other guests and our staff. We have changing Art Exhibitions in our Lobby Lounge and our guests are always invited to join the monthly vernissage, DJ events and much more.

We appreciate your kind words and compliments and I know my staff bring their regards and look forward to welcome you back.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have visited the Andersen Hotel a number of times, and you really get that "welcome home" feeling from the staff, who have always been extremely helpful. It's in a great location, an easy walk to both Nyhavn and The Lakes, and pretty much anywhere in between. With other hotels such as Nimb, the SAS hotel and Hotel Fox in a similar location, it's clear that Andersen is in the prime location for hotels in Copenhagen.

The rooms are always to the highest standard, and having visited this hotel very early on have actually improved on every visit - a clear sign that they are keen on improving every facet of service this boutique hotel provides.

Their concept 24 check in/out policy is always extremely welcome, especially if you are catching a late (or early) flight it's very handy having access to the hotel room until the actual time you're ready to leave the hotel, and I have not experienced it with many other hotels. Breakfast is also great; but being a smaller hotel there is not restaurant in house. This could be a problem if you were in the middle of nowhere, but in a city like Copenhagen it would be criminal to stay to eat in a hotel anyway.

Rather than an exhaustive recommendation for the hotel, I think it is pretty clear that for me Andersen is a hotel I will continue to use when visiting Copenhagen, for its friendly staff, fantastic rooms and brilliant location. I would encourage anyone to check out Andersen as their place to stay when visiting Copenhagen!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Sam A
Thank you for an excellent and very helpfull review.

Your recommendation is truly appreciated. It is reassuring when our regular guests notice our small ongoing improvements.

We listen to all reviews and guest comments and as a matter of this, we have decided to change the carpet in the Wonderful Rooms to wood floor. Furthermore, a small minibar selection is now available in all rooms.

Our Pop-up Wine Hour is becoming very popular and our guests enjoy the complimentary glass of wine and meeting new people. We are considering making the Wine Hour a permanent event.

We look forward to welcome you back next time you are in Copenhagen
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in January for 3 nights. It is a very short walk (2-3) minutes walk from central station, which is 12 minutes on the train from the airport. The room we had was very stylish and modern and clean with funky design such as hanging bedside lights. The manager, Sean was extremely friendly and helpful, and also Britt the lady on reception when he was not there was also very helpful and very friendly. There is a glass of wine everyday between 5-6 on the house which is lovely and a chance to chat to other guests as well as the management. This is very welcome as wine is generally expensive in Copenhagen. The bathrooms had green park toiletries, we had bathrobes and a double duvet. The rooms had TV's and Wifi. We booked a superior room. Breakfast was very pleasant and again the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating which made us feel very welcome.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen S
Karen N, Owner at Andersen Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for an excellent review.

It is nice to hear that you liked the design, the location and the cold breakfast buffet in Andersen Boutique Hotel.

It really makes up happy and proud when you praise the hardworking staff and management. We all work towards giving our guest a comfortable stay wirh a personal touch. A friendly attitude in a pleasant atmosphere is one way to differentiate from a chain hotel.

The wine hour is compliments of the hotel to our guests and we believe you appreciated meeting hotel guests and our staff.

We look forward to welcome you back
Antibes, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

The hotel is recently renovated and the staff is friendly, however, everything is not perfect. Most importantly, the rooms are very small, probably not more than 2 m2 of free floor space. You almost have to take of your overcoat before entering the room. And I didn't even ask for the cheapest category! The breakfast which is included in the price is also very basic, Dull bread, no warm dishes etc. You can easily find better value for money in the same neighbourhood, for instance at one of the Guldsmeden hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank steenandersen
Karen N, Owner at Andersen Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for a valuable review.

I am very sorry to hear you were assigned a small room and I apologize for the inconvenience.

It is always possible to talk to our friendly and helpful staff and change room. The building is old and the rooms vary in size, decor and layout. Some rooms have a bathtub and others a stand alone shower. We very much try to honor all prior requests and appreciate the communication with our guests.

It is with regret that the complimentary breakfast buffet did not live up to your expectations. Hence we always mention that the breakfast buffet consists of cold items and it is complimentary for all guests.

We hope you will stay with us again and we will have a large room ready.
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed in the Andersen Hotel just before Christmas, it's very close to the station, come out of the back end of the station (the end opposite the Tivoli Gardens) take a right and the first road on the left and then 100m along that road is the hotel on the right. So location wise it's very close to everything really, I wondered about being right in the middle of the red light district and it was a little lively of a night (I went for a long weekend so not sure how it is midweek) and I can imagine some people feeling a little worried or concerned with lots of ladies of the night and their pimps hanging around but I honestly didnt feel threatened in any way..

walking away from the red light area and it was a whole different world, 10 minute walk into the very centre but lots to see around the hotel.

Room was very nice, we were in the attic area and it was very comfortable with a nice big tv (although it had a very weird mix of channels)

All in all I would recommend the place to stay - staff very friendly and the happy hour of an evening was a nice touch, a free glass of wine in the bar/reception area made for a very pleasant atmosphere.

Room Tip: We asked for a room at the top and it seemed very quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Madmont
Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. All reviews and feedback is much appreciated.

The Andersen Wine Hour is becomming very popular. It is a nice opportunity to meet other guests, mingle and exchange ideas.

The rooms on the 5.floor are in the old loft of the hotel, hence the cozy ceiling. The pink and purple color scheme make it a true princess room. And thanks for the lovely pictures, they say more than many words.

Our central location is excellent whether you are staying for leisure or business. Hopefully, you had a chance to walk to the Meatpacking Area. Here you will find many restaurants, bars and Contemporary Art Galleries. We have changing art exhibitions at Andersen Hotel

We look forward to welcome you back in the future.