Annex Copenhagen
Tivoli Hotel(Copenhagen)
US$343
US$316
  • Pool
Wakeup Copenhagen, Borgergade(Copenhagen)(Great Value!)
US$198
  • Breakfast included
US$195
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsshared bathroomcentral stationthe main hoteltivoli gardensnice loungebudget optionexpensive citysmall desktoilet and showerfree wifiplace to sleepten minute walktwo single bedsluggage roomcouple of nightscold cutsby foot
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Pleasant reception staff. Staff speaks English. Room was clean. Two lights were not working in my room but were tended to right away. Sink in room. Noise at 3:45 a.m. from rolling bins across courtyard. About the telephone, I did not know about the need to press and hold the button on the receiver in order for the person at the other end to hear me. I had several failed calls charged before accidentally discovering it. The TV remote didn’t have channel up/down buttons and went only to channel 29. Generous free wi-fi, 12 hrs per day. Given that some guests leave the toilets in disgusting condition, I will pay more for an ensuite next time.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LCNtraveller
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed in the Hostel/Annex part. OLD carpet, furniture and decor, but clean. Adjustable heat in each room.
Good location, walking distance to everything (no need for a metro-pass in Copenhagen).
The shared bathrooms were very clean, but i usually wear shower sandals just to be safe.
We complained about some loud neighbours one night and the staff took care of that problem right away.
Slept in past breakfast (ends at 10am)...
For budget travellers only.

Room Tip: Hotels rooms have ensuit and appear more modern Annex/hostel rooms are older and share a bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I stayed for 9 nights in the Absalon annex this December and am absolutely delighted with the place. The annex is the budget part of the Absalon hotel so you get to share all the facilities with the main hotel, including a fabulous lobby and reception area. The included buffet breakfast (which is quite lavish and includes cold cuts, cheese, jams, nutella, different types of breads and of course danish pastries) is an added bonus and gives you more value for money. The rooms are basic but very clean and quite well maintained. The soundproofing is not very good so you can hear people moving about in the next room but if you bring earplugs you should be fine. The shared bathrooms are also quite good and were kept quite clean by the staff. The free WiFi also worked quite well and was quite fast. The location is also a huge bonus. You are within walking distance of the central train station, the city hall and the Tivoli gardens. Given the standard of hotel prices in Copenhagen, the Absalon annex is an absolute winner in terms of its price-facilities balance and value. I was a bit concerned about the safety of the street at night as it is supposed to be a red-light district but apart from one or two odd prostitutes wandering about, I saw nothing else. The streets were filled with tourists and families all times of the day and night.
In short, if you are looking for a basic budget accommodation in Copenhagen, go for the Absalon Annex. You will not regret it. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the shared facilities. On the second floor where I stayed, these are rooms 201-203. I did not ask for one but luckily I got them.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed here for one night as a break in my train journey from Stockholm to Hamburg - solo girl in early 20s- in September 2011. Was apprehensive from some of the prior reviews of Absalon and also the Vesterbro district in general. I really didnt want to spend a lot of money on a quick overnight stop, so I wanted budget, and that takes you to this part of town. However I was plesantly surprised.
Location - really close to central station (and easy to find), to Tivoli, city hall, walking distance to national museum, Glypotek gallery and the tourist centre (check it out, free maps, brochures, get the Copenhagen Card)
Area - seriously, I come from Cape Town and felt much safer in Vesterbro than I do at home in the city. When it started getting dark there were some homeless junkie type people wondering around, but nothing sinister or threatening. Absalon is still pretty close to the main street, if you wonder further into the Vesterbro there are more tattoo shops and dingy bars, but where the hotel is its pretty chilled. Its actually quite a pretty street with nice building facades and lots of restaurants close by. I only felt a bit weird because I was a young girl walking around alone in the evening. However the next week when my friend and I were back in Copenhagen and went to a bar near the hotel, we were disappointed not to have seen more "red light activity" in the area. Felt very safe the 2 of us, saw like two prostitutes, no dealers, so not as bad as some people make it out to be..
Absalon Annex - one of the bonuses is that the ANNEX shares reception with the Hotel, so its got the service provided to the more upmarket hotel, there is ice cold water available, free internet at the lobby computer.
This also means that you get the same breakfast as the hotel guests - huge bonus!
This breakfast was a feast! all different types of tea, coffee, juice, then there was cereal and yogurt, bread, ham, salami, cheeses, philidelphia cheese, nutella, rolls and all sorts of different pastries as well. Definitely a good start to the day- would go back for the breakfast variety and standard, the dining room was also really nice and quite big to accommodate everyone.
The Annex rooms are in a section to the one side of the hotel, but still entered from hotel reception so you feel safe.
My room was TINY, but Copenhagen is expensive and space is money! however, it was clean and sufficient for my overnight stay. i could have stayed there about 3 nights and the size would have been manageable. there was a desk and cupboard, the bed was quite narrow, but it was still comfortable and I got a decent night's sleep. The decor is definitely outdated, there is nothing modern about the rooms, but if you are on a budget and want to explore this expensive city, its a decent clean safe place to stay. My section was fairly quiet, but the doors opening and closing are quite loud, so if it the rroms there were full it may have been noisier??
The bathroom, although old, was really big. Its a shared, but never had to wait long (but then like I said, my section wasnt full). the shower was clean and big. no complaints - and I was super apprehensive about shared bathrooms after the horror stories I had read about how they can be.
So all in all, I was very happy there. Would I go again? If I was on a budget short stop I definitely would. For what you are paying you are bonusing from the fact that it is affiliated to the hotel and the breakfast is of that standard. Maybe an upgrade to the hotel part, depending on my budget.
If you are looking for a hostel/backpacker vibe, this is def more of a hotel with a budget area with shared bathrooms ,than a hostel. there is no communal chill area to meet other travellers if you travelling solo and want that.. so keep that in mind.
Oh also, dont be alarmed, but when you check in they take your credit card and swipe it as a deposit, but with my credit card I still got a text to say a charge had been made. Then when I checked out they swiped the card again to make the charge. I was only charged on my card once, even though they swiped twice. I was worried they had made me pay twice, but they hadnt. THe second swipe was just to confirm the "pending" deposit swipe

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank TessaClare
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Basically what you are getting at this hotel is a hostel, breakfast, & wi-fi. I agree with other reviewers that the annex is pretty much a hostel. Absalon Annex is connected to the Absalon Hotel. You use the hotel's reception desk to check in. Once you cross through the door to the Annex things take a notch down or so as far as quality is concerned. It is isn't that bad but not great. We spent four nights there. Each floor in the Annex that we saw had 4 toilets and two showers for I think slightly over 20 rooms per floor. We never had trouble using a toilet but did have to go up to the next floor because the showers were occupied on our floow . The showers did work just fine. Water pressure and hot water were fine. The bad part is that on the second floor we could tell that the showes had not been cleaned in the 4 nights we were there because there was a somewhat large chunk of hair on top of the drain in one showers that was there the whole time we were there. The rooms are somewhat small but adequate. We felt like we were on an overnight train though as the twin beds were attached to both sides of the wall. You do have a sink in your room which helps when you have shared showers. The furniture is quite possibly 40 years old. The rooms have a small TV but no fridge. Our had a good size closet and a desk...... Breakfast was standard but good. It is served from 6:30 to 10:00. The bad part is that at 9 am when we ate everyone else was eating too and it was hard to find a place to sit. Also, the staff had trouble clearing tables and replenishing some food items. They did restock food right up until 10 am though..... Other notes about the hotel is that you could usually smell smoke. Either people were smoking in their rooms despite the sign that said it was a smoke free floor or that for years they allowed smoking and the smell is trapped in to the fixtures of the hotel. We didn't smell it in our room but once you went in the hallway you could smell it..... The hotel itself is in a good location for sightseeing being only a few blocks from the train station. However, it is in a somewhat seedy part of town. There are sex shops, a men's mission home a few blocks down, and what appeared to be some prostitutes milling around within a block or so. We even saw a man urinating in the street right by the entrance to our hotel one night and saw a few drunk people stumbling around.....The hotel staff were pretty friendly and were able to answer our questions regarding train options and allowed us to check out two hour late. Wi-fi also worked pretty well in our room although it was sluggish at times but it was free.......One other last note is that they do have an on-site laundry machine if you happen to be in need of one. It cost 30 Krone per wash and 20 per dry. Ask the hotel staff. It is in the basement. The price is comparable to what you would pay at the self serve laundry mat down the street.

In summary you could do worse and if you are used to staying in hostels of varying degrees of quality then you'll be ok but I would probably explore other options first. The price they are charging is a little bit high. We paid about $100 a night It should be more around $60 per night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple