“Great Touring Location”

Annex Copenhagen
Rye, New York
“Great Touring Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2006

The Absalon is located an easy five minute walk from Copenhagen's Central Station. Its location makes it great for touring both the city and the environs. The rooms are well kept and the breakfast comprehensive. The staff was helpful and friendly. Another plus was the availability of washers and a dryer on the premises.

• Stayed May 2006
16 Thank robert j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2005

I stayed in the annex. My room was the size of a cupboard with a very tiny bathroom attached. I was OK with that for the price, but I was not OK with my complete lack of sleep, despite having earplugs. My room was next to the lift and people tramped passed my wafer thin wall and door, talking until I caved at 3 am and asked to be moved. The staff were sympathetic, leading me to think that this must happen fairly often. I was moved to a nice room in the main part of the hotel where I finally was able to sleep. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay in that room for the next night and I was back in the annex, this time in a room without a bathroom. My lack of sleep the second night came from the very thin walls. I listened to my neighbour's TV blasting out the news until the wee small hours. I could hear every word the presenter said. i knocked on my neighbour's door and put a note under it. I called down to reception and then heard every word of his conversation when reception rang him. Arrrrgggggh, so loud.
The breakfast was nice and there was a luggage room where you could leave your stuff. Apart from this, it was a sucky sleepless experience (and I have stayed in some noisy places in my time).

• Stayed March 2005
13 Thank NorthWestLondoner
, Manager at Annex Copenhagen, responded to this review, 17 December 2005
The Absalon Annex is a 1-star property. It can be noisy at times as the walls are thinner than in the 3-star building. But there is no elevator next to any rooms in the Annex..... The Annex rooms are only accessable by a small staircase from the 3-star hotel hallway.

Huntington Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2005

Whatever you do don't stay in the Absalon Annex!! The Annex is connected to the hotel, but is a hostel. The rooms are dirty, smoky, and drab. The bathrooms and showers are disgusting!! We checked in at night and were sent to our hostel room and although we knew we booked a hostel, we had no idea how horrible the room would be. We returned to the front desk after 15 minutes asking to upgrade to the normal hotel area. They only had a deluxe room available and we took it! This room was great and it was hard to believe we were in the same building!! The only problem was that we had to move rooms again the next day since we hadn't booked this room in advance. That was fine, as long as I didn't have to go back to the hostel area!! There was some confusion to what was happening with our reservation though and I had to explain our situation over and over. This is why you must ensure your booking is for the hotel and not the hostel!! The breakfast is average, but very crowded and not a great selection. The location is decent, but if I stayed again I would stay in the Nyhavn area.

• Stayed April 2005
13 Thank TravelGirl604
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2004

Stayed here for 3 nights in Aug 04. There are a few different types of rooms here. They have a budget section of the hotel (Absalon Annex, some with bathroom, some without), and then better rooms in another area (Absalon Hotel). I stayed in the budget section in a single room. Overall, great value for money. The decor was from the 60s, lime green and the room a little small. Included was a tv with cable channels, closet to hang clothes and desk. The bathroom was better than expected, clean and included towels and hairdryer. Security seemed good, with swipe card to access rooms. The staff are excellent, very friendly and helpful. The location itself is good (5-10 min walk to the tourist sites and city centre), but it is right by the central station where you can get anywhere, and also easy to find. The place is a budget hotel, and I wouldn't go and expect to much, but I would stay here again, and would recommend it to the budget traveller.

• Stayed August 2004
15 Thank parisblue231
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2004

I stayed at the Absalon Hotel for 12 days, and my stay was enjoyable. I had a very small room, but that's fine - that's what I paid for!

The location is excellent, just a couple blocks behind the main train station.

The breakfast buffet is included in the price, and it was great. I rarely eat breakfast, but the breads, herring, cheese, etc. were delicious.

There are two computers just off the lobby for free internet access! I rarely had a wait for a computer. The morning's breakfast pastries were put in this room in the afternoon. Yum.

During the middle of my stay a large school group was in the rooms on my hall. They were very loud and tended to hang out in the hall. They were just being kids, but I couldn't deal with the noise. I went down to the desk and asked if I could be moved to another room. I didn't want to get the kids in trouble; I just needed quiet. The desk clerk was fabulous - she moved me to a much larger room for the rest of my stay.

I plan to stay here again!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lancaster, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2004

It wasn't easy finding something affordable in Copenhagen to match the cheap flight we got there on. This was a tourist class hotel which was pretty reasonably priced and offered good value for money. The rooms would not win a prize for innovative design, but ours was comfortable, clean and functional. It had a fridge too which we thought was useful.
Breakfast was the ubiquitous continental buffet with some interesting Scandinavian additions ...."pickled herring and raw onion anyone?"
The hotel was just down from the railway station, nudging into the red-light district. There were some sex shops and a few girls hanging about not far from the hotel, but we didn't find it offensive and it wasn't noisy at night. The area also offered some good cheap places to eat and was handy for the Tivoli Gardens too.
The staff were pleasant and spoke good English. We had a good time and would recommend this hotel.

17 Thank travelhilly
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2004

I stayed 3 nights at the Absalon, and I was basically satisfied. My room was tiny, and I had no private bath. Location is really good, very close to the main station. I paid 350 DKK per night, which is cheap for Copenhagen.

7 Thank Michael S