“wonderful!”

Scandic Palace Hotel
Ranked #24 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at this beautiful hotel. Excellent location, very old with a modern twist to it. Cannot fault the room we had, lovely view over the square. There is maintenance work nearby, I think this is for the metro but we were not disturbed by any excessive noise. Plenty of choice for breakfast which should suit any appetite. Would recommend for any type of trip, business, couples, family etc.

Room Tip: Room located at the front
2  Thank suech19
PalaceHotelCph, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear suech19,

Thank you for staying with us, as well as submitting your feedback!

I am very thankful to read, that your stay with us was a success, and hope you will be returning to Palace Hotel Copenhagen again soon!

I wish you a very nice summer!

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,323)

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Everything about this hotel is great. Owners should be aware of young professionals which give their best to meet requests of their guests. Special thanks goes to Ms Jette Rafn. I strongly recommend this hotel.
Velibor Milosevic, Montenegro

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Velibor M

Dear Velibor M,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback! I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will indeed pass on your positive comments about our staff!

I wish you a very nice summer and hope to see you back!

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here before but with the extreme modernization of everything around, Copenhagens Palace Hotel from 1910 remains one of the best hotels in town without skimping on modern necessities.
The rooms are beautifully designed. The shower had frosted glass doors as did the seperate toilet. With the lights turned on in these rooms they gave the perfect lighting in the rest of the room.
Our room (307) had a balcony overlooking the square Raadhuspladsen. Right now there is a lot of building going on down there but with double balcony doors, we didn't hear a sound.
The shopping street Strøget is just around the corner and the entrance to the amusement park Tivoli is a 5 minute walk across the square.
Theres a bar/café down in the lobby with big comfortable chairs and even some regular tables and chairs. A "fireplace" mounted on the wall helped make for the perfect spot for a nightcap!
I love the atmosphere and friendly staff here and will definately be back again!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear D_Julio_Stockholm,

Thank you very much for visiting!

- And as well for sharing such detailed and positive feedback! I appreciate feedback of both kinds, however I am of course happy to see we have met your expectations!

I hope to see you back again soon, and wish you a great summer.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here with my partner for a long weekend. Like many of the recent reviewers I have mixed feelings about this hotel. The location is perfect for sightseeing, very close to museums, the parliament, shops, lots of places to eat nearby. It is also just a 5/10 min walk from central station so very easy to get to the airport. Some staff were very friendly (such as those in the bar), others on reception less so. The hotel does have a lot of charm, for example we had a bright, modern room with a small balcony looking out onto the lure players statue.

However, during our stay there seemed to be a lot of maintenance work going on. Maybe we were just unlucky, but the first morning we were awoken by drilling above us. We could also hear the lift clunking throughout the night so earplugs were essential. Maybe these issues are to be expected in an old hotel but they did spoil our experience somewhat.

A few other niggles-

The iron in the room was very poor, even by hotel standards. Maybe it is time for the hotel to upgrade these. The kettle had seen better days too.

The shower and toilet were in different rooms which was fine, however the glass sliding door on the toilet did not fully close leading to a lack of privacy!

We had only one comfortable chair in the room, another by the desk was not good to sit on for more than a few minutes at a time.

Breakfast was only average for the price paid.

Overall, it was a convenient base but if we return to Copenhagen we would try a different hotel.

1  Thank Angela D

Dear Angela D,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and a well for sharing this valuable feedback!

I am very happy to read, that the service in the bar was friendly and welcoming, however equal as sad to learn, that this was not the overall impression!

We work hard to deliver each and every time, somehow unfortunately, we did not succeed this time for which I apologize!

In spite of your observations I still hope to see you back at Palace hotel Copenhagen - I will assure you, we can deliver much better!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. On the plus side, the hotel has a great location and the staff could not be more friendly and helpful for the most part. All of the staff speak English and are normally quite responsive to any request one might make. The hotel is old but the rooms have been renovated and have modern features.

My biggest problem was the lack of air conditioning. Even with it cool outside and no heat running in the room, my room got rather warm at times which meant I had to open the balcony door quite a bit. Sheets on the bed were not changed once during my four-night stay. And the towels are small and paper thin, not like the plusher variety one might expect from a nice hotel. I noted that bathroom floors are not mopped by the maid staff which given the type of tiles in use, they may want to think about.

I thought the breakfast was only OK for the money paid (165 DKK per day). They had less to choose from than at other hotels and the food was not as fresh. The bacon and eggs were so cold one day that I skipped the breakfast altogether my final day even though I had paid for it in advance. And I do not understand why they can't serve Kellogg's Corn Flakes when every other hotel in the world has this on their buffet. That have an organic cereal selection that will not appeal to conventional tastes. The bacon had been in the pan for so long that it was extremely hard. This is an area they could definitely improve on.

The hotel does not have bellman which I also found strange. A hotel of this caliber should have a bellman.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jon5839
PalaceHotelCph, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Jon5839,

Thank you very much for choosing Palace Hotel Copenhagen while visiting Copenhagen!

I am greatfull for your positive feedback on the service you have recieved from our Team Members - we try our outmost to make any visitor feel warmly welcome.

Unfortunately I recognize your stay overall dit not meet expectations - I sincerely apologize for this and your comments are currently being followed up in the concerned departments.

I do hope you will trust us enough to visit once again, should you ever go to Copenhagen again!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I wish Trip Advisor would give an option other than a 1 through 5, as I would probably rate this hotel about a 3.8. The things it does well, it does very well, and then there are some things that leave me questioning.

Starters, Jakob who works there three nights a week at the Bar is absolutely an amazing person. If you get a chance, go speak to him. He is a wealth of knowledge on the City. Most of the front desk staff are also very, very nice. There is a young Inuit man from Greenland who is also very, very friendly to speak to. All speak very good English so communication isn't a problem.

Rooms are very modern and comfortable. They are also fairly sized for European standards. The bathrooms are also decent sized. Yes, the building is older, yes, the hallway carpet looks a little worn. But keep in mind the amount of wet feet that tramples across this carpeting year in and year out. We watched them rug shampoo the carpeting every day we were there, just to keep it clean. Buffett is very good as others have said (expensive). Also, the hotel is ideally located in the Indre By (center of the City) making it convenient to everything. Bed was very large king, comfortable with plenty of pillows, plenty of English television choices, as well.

The hotel is easy walking distance to quite a few attractions in the City, has a big mall across the street from it, easy access to train stations and, sits along side of a major walkway for pedestrians that has every kind of food possible to eat at. I would recommend walking down to the Taverner Halle [sic] which was very interesting to see.

Downside of hotel - my biggest issues were with parking and the bathroom. Parking is non existent. I drove around for 1/2 hour one night trying to find a space. The website says ample parking around the hotel, but there is no parking lot and there is no parking. Plan on this ahead of time, as there really is no parking in Copenhagen. Tough to find. Next issue is the bathroom - in the shower they have an electric towel heater that made me paranoid. If it shorted out while I was in there, it goes without saying. The other issue was the shower has a stand up shower wand and a rainfall shower head. The shower head in in the center of the shower but the shower door is way too small. It allows the bathroom to flood. I also was paranoid the electric towel warmer would short out if it got wet. It was in the shower, not outside. The water is also very, very hot, so be careful when you turn it on.

The bed is very comfortable, the issue, they give you one blanket that is not very big. These are just minor complaints. Overall, I would come back again in a heartbeat to the hotel and to the city.

If you stay here, about 3 minutes away is restaurant Puk, absolutely amazing food. Also, there is a 7/11 on the corner if you forget anything. Is an easy 20 minute drive into the airport to the hotel, and, there is a little grocery store (Netto) just down a few minutes. If you turn to the right out of the hotel and go about three blocks, Netto is on the left. Has everything you may need.

Again, I would stay here again. Loved a lot about this hotel.

Room Tip: I was in 421 and had a long walk from the elevator. I would try to go with a room closer just for c...
2  Thank jmoonesq

Dear jmoonesq,

Thank you very much for you kind and detailed feedback on your stay with us!

Especially your praising comments on Jakob in the bar and John a the reception warms greatly.

In terms of parking I agree, this is a general hassle in Copenhagen to visitors trying to find an available spot. - On the positive side, we are at the moment securing private parking spaces to our guests, making sure it will always be possible for our residents to park close to the hotel.

When it comes to douvets, we do have many King Size beds offering full bed size douvets. At anytime our guests a more than welcome to have one or more douvets - please do contact the reception and it will be delivered to your room instantly.

I hope to see you back at Palace Hotel Copenhagen anytime soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here twice in the short SPG period, just after renovation, and four times after becoming part of the Scandic empire.

What meets the eye is most always beautiful. A Magnificent old building, in the extreme centre of the city. The rooms are bright, an many of them (influence by SPG platinum and Scandic Top Floor upgrading) very large. When you realize that you have to leave the shower, where no place to hang towels are found, dripping wet over the hall, to enter the "bathroom" where the towels are kept, you realize that people designing hotel rooms never stay there themselves.
Lamps also dysfunctional, need to get up from bed to shut down (!)

Breakfast buffet is sumptious and leaves nothing to wish for. It's very elegantly laid out, but expensive. Be sure to have it included in your room price ( less expensive). Staff ranging from "very unintrested" to "rather keen on helping"

The general rating more influenced by looks and BF

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank onobond

Dear onobond,

Thank you very much for staying with us, as well as taking the time to supply valuable feedback!

Indeed the property is blessed with a fantastic chapter of interesting stories in the history books, being a landmark in Danish hotel industry.

We try, and work very hard to preserve the surroundings, in order to keep the building both modern and respectful to the history of the place.

Not always a modern touch is positively appreciated however I do hope the rainforest showers are widely accepted - your comment on towel placement is very relevant, and we will change this as it makes perfect sense.

Thank you again for your feedback, and hope to welcome you back to Palace Hotel Copenhagen anytime soon!