“Nice hotel but with issues”

Scandic Palace Hotel
Ranked #21 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
New Jersey
“Nice hotel but with issues”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The location of this hotel is what sells this hotel. You're right in the middle of everything and walking distance to everything else. We were able to check in even though we arrived around 11:30am which was great. We had a room with a king bed and while the beds were very comfortable, the blanket was smaller than the bed and we wound up sleeping next to each other in the center of the bed...strange. There is coffee and tea service, a refrigerator/mini bar, free wifi, and one complimentary bottle of water. Housekeeping could have done a much better job with respect to cleanliness. There was a glass door to the bathroom with smudges all over the door, toilet had stains and TV screen and surfaces did not feel clean. The shower is awkward, you can use either the handheld or the shower head mounted on the ceiling which is okay except, the drain in the bathtub was very slow so while you shower, you're standing in a puddle of dirty water. I called to the front desk to have this rectified and they came right away with a plunger, but it really didn't help much. My daughter in the next room said her shower also drained very slowly. We had a room facing the inside courtyard so we didn't experience any street noise, but you can clearly hear the clock chime every 15 minutes. Also troubling was the fact that we were located adjacent to the elevator bank. We heard banging noise from the elevator constantly. There are two elevators, one where you actually have to pull open a door to enter. we got stuck between floors for a few moments one evening taking that elevator. Service was very friendly at this property.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank chirish61
PalaceHotelCph, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2014
Dear chirish61,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and as well for forwarding your feedback!

I am happy to hear your room was available for an early check-in, housekeeping works very hard to secure this in the best possible way as our visitors abroad appreciate this when been travelling for any hours.

Unfortunately though that the bed sheet seemed to small, a clear mistake on our part!

In regards to your observations on the housekeeping standard, it is quite unusual we get this feedback - however please accept my deepest apologies for this, it clearly did not match our standards and expected levels of cleaning!

The elevators are "hot topic" - some people like them some don´t. The hotel is categorized protected landmark due to its fascinating history and architecture. For this reason some things are not to be changes - the elevators are here to stay, and we update them on regular basis with paint and new carpets so the look welcoming.

The elevators are old however 100% safe to use, this includes the very delicate and sensitive safety cells monitoring the doorway - if you get too close to the doors, they instantly as a safety feature stop the elevators for a short while.

I am really sorry if this was an unpleasant experience, however I can assure you, it it only there to ensure a safe ride.

I wish you all the very best and hope to see you back!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We only spent one night in Copenhagen on this trip so we chose the Palace Hotel so that we'd be close to everything in the centre. It's a very short walk to the main railway station (where the trains from the airport arrive) and close to Tivoli and the main shopping areas.

The hotel itself is very grand from the outside and the interior has been nicely refurbished. Our standard room was up in the roof of one of the side wings and quite small but comfortable. I was quite amazed that they'd managed to fit a large bath into the bathroom, a shower might have been more practical but (from reading reviews on here) apparently lots of people are deeply offended if their room doesn't have a bath. The sides of the bath are quite high so shorter people may have problems climbing in and out of it, there are handrails though.

Several of the fixtures in the room were broken, it's unclear whether the previous guests had been particularly clumsy or that maintenance isn't quite good enough. But the bed was large and comfortable and we slept well. The air conditioning didn't seem to be particularly effective, so we slept with the window open.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was quite OK but I wouldn't have paid 165 DKK/person for it.

The staff, especially at reception, were friendly and helpful.

Overall a perfectly OK hotel but not as fancy as the exterior would lead you to believe.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the internal courtyard are quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OrangeWindies
Dear OrangeWindies,

Thank you for staying with us while travelling to Copenhagen!

I am very happy to read you overall enjoyed your stay with us.

- Regrettable some fixtures seems to have been broken, this is simply not good enough, however I can assure this is not our normal standard as things when broken or in need of replacement happens from day to day.

Copenhagen this summer has been unusually hot with temperatures climbing above 30+ for several days straight. We do have centralized AC however I must admit for a shorter period this summer, the system was working overtime due to the unusually hot weather.

I am happy to let you know we have decided now to include breakfast in all our rates, being a positive add on to many of our visitors.

I wish you all the very best and hope to see you back with us again.

St. Peters, MO
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just recently stayed at this hotel from June 22nd-24th, 2014 before starting a Baltic Cruise.
I am a travel agent and took a group of 24 people to this hotel. Gave the hotel a total of 24 room nights from my group stay.

We arrived early at the hotel (around 11am) after a red-eye flight from the USA. 2 of the rooms were available at that time for check-in for my group. Other rooms were available for check-in at that time should we have wanted to pay an additional 200 DKK per night per room to get a room with 2 beds over looking the main square with a small balcony, instead of our standard room with 1 king bed overlooking the interior courtyard. The majority of my group declined the offer and waited for our regular rooms to be available later in the afternoon. As a group leader I was a bit disappointed that no one from the hotel's sales team left me a welcome note to say hello and welcome us to the hotel. I thought maybe this was overlooked because we checked in on a Sunday but no note of welcome or thanks came on Monday either. I think this is the 1st time in escorting groups for well over 20 years that I didn't get at least a note from the hotel manager or sales manager upon arrival.

The rooms are nice and spacious and we had a room over looking the interior courtyard on the 3rd floor. Bedding was soft and we were able to sleep with the windows open for a cool breeze. Interior facing rooms where mine was didn't have any noise. Front exterior rooms could be louder if you have your balcony doors open because the square is a busy popular area. Also, there is outdoor dining & seating in front of the hotel where people can gather, have drinks or coffee and smoke.

The breakfast buffet was adequate, not the largest I've encountered throughout traveling Europe but they managed to have something for everyone. If the hotel is full, then seating for breakfast can be tight. We waited 10 minutes for a table on our 2nd morning there. They have a great espresso/latte machine in the dining area so you can serve yourself cappuccino's.

Take the time to go up to the top floor via elevator, exit the elevator and turn left down the hall to the far end you'll find a door that leads to the roof area where there is a catwalk and you can see some great views of the city from up there.

The hop on & off bus office & main stop are just 2 short walking blocks from the hotel. Tivoli's main entrance is just a block and a half away from the hotel. The side gates are across the street from the hotel.

Great dining & shopping options right near hotel so you can walk to all of these. You cannot walk to everything in the city from this hotel but if you use the hop on & off bus, it's a great way to see the sights of the city.

I had arranged a group transfer from the hotel to the ship via the hotels concierge staff. The bus arrived late and when he did arrive he parked way down the street from the hotel (and across the major street). Too far away for my handicap people to walk with luggage. The driver did not have the group name under our group but instead had the name under the concierge or bellman. So the driver is standing there outside the hotel around our group attempting to CALL the concierge on the phone, we couldn't get him to walk into the hotel to address the concierge and then it took 10 minutes for us to convince the concierge to come outside on the sidewalk and speak to the bus driver...I found him a bit rude when we requested that he come out to speak with the driver to see if indeed he was there for our group (which he was). It wasted time just sitting there because 2 people couldn't communicate when they were literally less than 50 feet away from one another.

One person in my group had a 2nd floor room facing the interior courtyard (different corner than where mine was located) and had a issue with noise from the trash trucks that arrived VERY early in the morning. She addressed the issue with the front desk staff and got no satisfaction from them what so ever. I doubt she will recommend this hotel to anyone.

Bottom Line- It's a nice hotel in a great location with clean comfy rooms but it does lack the customer service levels that I would expect from this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank cruisegaldiane
Dear cruisegaldiane,

Thank you very much for staying with us this summer, and as well for withing us your feedback!

- I really appreciate the trust you have shown us by placing your group of 24 at the hotel, and as I can understand from you review, you had an overall successful stay!

Please accept my apologies for the lack of an in-room welcome greeting - I normally do this, also to a wide extend for our individual travelers. I regret, I am unable to get a reasonable replay back as to why this did not happen this time.

I am very happy to see the rooms in most cases have been appreciated - the one room facing the old part of Copenhagen with exception. All rooms facing this side of the hotel will soon undergo careful upgrading when it comes to exterior doors and windows, that will be upgraded with double layered glass, in order to eliminate the "city sounds".

When it comes to service, we are normally receiving so much positive feedback - we work very hard to secure each and every guest experience, why I am puzzled why you had this experience with our concierge team.

I will take immediate action to resolve this, please extend my sincere apologies to your traveling group for this unsmooth handling.

All in all, a mix og both good and bad experiences - as we strive to deliver the absolute best, I hope you will consider to visit once again, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly at the hotel can I be of assistance.

I wish you all the very best and thank you once again for placing your group with us this summer!

Sincerely Yours,

Naantali, Finland
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This historical hotel has absolutely perfect location. Right there in Town Hall Square, you can see Tivoli from your window/balcony, main railway station few minute walk away and main shopping street (pedestrian only) Stroget starts almost from the main entrance of the hotel. Not the cheapest hotel, but considering friendly service, tasty breakfast and especially that location, we probably will go back

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
PalaceHotelCph, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Dear Ville S,

Thank you very much for visiting, and as well for posting your feedback.

It seems as if you had an enjoyable stay, and hope indeed to see you back with us again.

All the very best,

Farmingdale, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Palace. Although the staff was helpful you should check with the hotel before booking to make sure that there is no festival that will be held in the square in front of the hotel. We were "lucky" enough to have a big Turkish heritage festival that went from 12 noon to 12 midnight. Loud music the whole day and night. Yes you are not in the hotel room all day, but sometimes after a day of sightseeing there are times you want to take a little nap before dinner. Not going to happen. At least the hotel gives you earplugs. I told my travel agent that we were not happy and she said usually the hotel will tell her about any concerts etc. I guess they lost the memo on that one. The rooms were spacious but sparse as I guess would be normal for a Danish hotel, no frills. There was no bellhop to take up your luggage. We did get breakfast with the room which was fine. It is in a good location near the Tivoli and Stroget Street, but I think after exploring, the Ingleterre would have been more to our liking even though that hotel is more expensive, it would have been a better fit for us.

Room Tip: If there is a festival ask for a room in the back of the hotel. It may help a bit.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
PalaceHotelCph, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Dear Barbara S,

Thank you very much for staying with us even if the festival was disturbing to you.

A few times a year Copenhagen host festivals as you experiences, where loud music and people hit the streets.

I regret you didn´t have the best impression of the hotels surroundings, and hope you will visit once again when things are - as they normally are - much more easygoing and quiet.

Sincerely Yours,

Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I agree with all the positive reviews - lovely old historic hotel that has been pleasantly updated, great location, tasty breakfast, good air conditioning, yada yada yada. What really stood out was the wonderful reception staff. I usually don't notice or comment on this but these young women were so helpful and fun! They made our three night stay very pleasant.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Meg46,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and as well for your positive review.

- We work continuously and hard to be always the very best within service, and I am really happy to read you had a good experience with the Front Desk staff.

I wish you all the very best and hope to see you back soon!

Oslo
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nice enough. However, there are a few drawbacks.

Cleanliness: the bathroom did not feel clean. The toilet was dirty deep in the bowl and where the flushing water comes out. this was very visible and not delicate at all. The shower also needed a good scrubbing in particular the actual shower heads which were grimy and not pleasant. Housekeeping needs to up their game in this hotel, my thoughts went immediately to this shower head being a possible cause of illnesses (legionella etc., I am not a medical professional) for someone unlucky.

Breakfast: The breakfast was ok, not very interesting. I wish they would have served fried eggs instead of just boiled and the scrambled made from powder. We had the breakfast with the room, but I cannot imagine how anyone would be interested in paying 160 kroner for that. The glasses were tiny and you had to run to and from the water and juice machine in order to not be dehydrated.

In general: the rooms were small but ok. The staff were friendly and gave good recommendations for restaurants. The hotel is as central as it gets, however the city hall bell chimes every 15 minutes from 8 am until midnight, not a pleasant feature of the hotel.

I am not sure if I would pick this hotel again. It wasn't bad, but they have some issues that they would benefit from improving on. Even though it is an old hotel it does not have to actually be old.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Madeleine S,

Thank you for staying with us - reading your comments however, I regret we did not meet your expectations.

Copenhagen is challenged by the degree of hardness in the drinking water supply, causing lime scale to build. We are working very hard to minimize the effect, by scrubbing our bathrooms on daily basis - it might not look perfect, however I can promise you our bathrooms are clean!

- Legionella we are testing for by law, and have never in the history of the hotel, had any issues.

In terms of breakfast, we now offer our buffet free of charge to all guests - we normally receive lots of praising words about selection and taste as we offer both ecological selections, hot and cold servings as well as home made bread.

- Dehydration is indeed not a good thing, and you are more than welcome to take two glasses at the same time, and as many times as you like.

I wish you all the very best and hope to see you back again.