“Great at what it can control, but issues with what it cannot”

Scandic Palace Hotel
Ranked #19 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
New York, NY
“Great at what it can control, but issues with what it cannot”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The Palace was the more expensive and centrally-located of the two hotels I stayed at in Copenhagen. It is a 100-year-old facility that is in the old courtyard-style design, and maintained quite beautifully inside, with redesigned modern rooms. Staff executes at a very high standard. The rooms are not especially lavish on amenities or size, but feature a high-quality bed, free Internet access, stylish and functionally great bathrooms, and earplugs.

You'll note that last item, because you may well need them. The Palace is located in the absolute heart of downtown, albeit not a part I'd necessarily consider the "best" part. For a New Yorker, I would compare this area to Times Square -- a chain- and tourist-heavy commercial district near the maximally popular tourist sites (Tivoli Gardens) and the trashiest/corniest of international chains (Ripley's Believe it Or Not is next door; Burger King is next to that and McDonald's is around the corner). On Saturday night, a Danish hip-hop concert raged until midnight. Fireworks also shot off on Friday and Saturday night. Expect church bells up until midnight and then starting again at 8 a.m.

The Palace can't be blamed for its location, of course, and the earplugs and a fairly well-watched door help to mitigate the issues. But it's not a relaxing location at all; it's best chosen by those who want to have a relatively equidistant walk to most of the things you might want to see -- it's as easy to walk to Vesterbro and Nordbro as it is to jaunt to the palace and other sites in the south.

Among things the Palace can be blamed for, the only one that requires serious attention are the very dated and slow elevators, which are next to useless. Get a courtyard room on about the third or fourth floor and be prepared to walk.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are a must. Plan to walk however many flights you will be taking to your room, unles...
2 Thank jlb3
PalaceHotelCph, Manager at Scandic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2014
Dear jlb3,

Thank you for staying with us - I see you in general have been pleased to stay with us, however a hip-hip concert have disturbed the peace.

Summertime in Copenhagen can be a bit hectic, and when placed in a central location like ours, occasionally the normal peaceful atmosphere can be discussed.

I sincerely hop you will visit again, and trust you will find, that even in a central location the neighborhood of Scandic Palace can be quite relaxing and peaceful.

The Scandic Palace is categorized protected landmark due to it´s unique history in Danish architecture, and for this reason we are not allowed to change out the elevators - they are however 100% safe to use, and painted on regular basis in order to have a proper look.

I wish you all the very best.

Sincerely Yours,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for four nights. We booked the larger King Superior Plus room designed for families. It was great to have the extra space. Our room faced the square but the noise did not disturb us at all. The doors to the balcony are double so they work well to keep the noise out. Didn't try the restaurant but the service and drinks at the bar were great. Even though the construction is not the nicest thing to look at the rest of he view is great. We were at the end closest to the worksite and that did not bother us at all. Maybe we are used to the much busier and noisier construction sites in Hong Kong!

Only issue was we were assigned the wrong room type at check in but this was quickly sorted.

Internet works quite well and you don't need to constantly reconnect your iPads and iPhones as is the case with many hotels.

Great of couples or families on vacation!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darcy M
Dear Darcy M,

Thank you very much for staying with us, I am happy to read you had a great base while exploring Copenhagen.

The construction site up the street is the Metro station being build - when completed the nearest station will be within 1 minutes walk of the hotel, a fantastic feature for our visitors exploring the city by train.

I wish you all the very best,

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Palace Hotel was a superb hotel. Its location is very centric. It cannot be any more centric: it is steps from Stroget and right in front of the Town Hall square and Tivoli. This is the center of Copenhagen.
The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful- knowledgeable about Copenhagen and Denmark. The hotel interior design is very classy, clean, boutique-ish. The room was clean, beautiful, with a nice balcony facing Tivoli and the Town Hall. The bathroom was 2 separate rooms: one for the shower and the other the sink and toilet. I really liked this: the bathroom design was extremely slick and modern. Very modern and dark design. The shower was the best I have been...very relaxing, HUGE shower. The room had central A/C. I would definitely stay here again if I return soon to Copenhagen (hope so).

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with a balcony. Request one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gabriel V
Dear Gabriel V,

Thank you for staying with us at Scandic Palace, and as well for posting such positive and wonderful feedback.

I am delighted to read you had full value of your Copenhagen visit - please look us up, should your travels ever go to Copenhagen again!

Sincerely Yours,

Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We chose this hotel since it is in the Scandic hotels family and we were thrilled with what you get for the money. The location is great: easy 5 minutes walk from the train station, right off of the main shopping street, across the plaza from the Tivoli park... The only thing a bit walking distance are the Metro stops but one of them is being built as we speak right in front of the hotel, so hopefully it will be finished soon. And even though we had the construction facing window we heard no noise from the street.
We booked the hotel via scandic.com website. I find the site the best way to book a Scandic hotel as they often offer rooms not available elsewhere especially if you are a travelling family of four, and a chance of prepaying the whole room gives you a significant discount plus 20% off on food items at the hotel's restaurant. In addition, if you get their membership you collect the points that quickly amount to a free stay with very little limitations.
Our room was specious, clean, with the largest shower I've ever been in. Even though it was facing the City Hall and the busy square around it, the room was not noisy at all. The room came with free breakfast and Wi-Fi. The breakfast was great and the kids even got an extra treat each morning from the service staff: crapes with nuttella. Needless to say the kids were in heaven. Wi-Fi worked without a glitch.
Each floor in the hotel had a small seating area right off of elevators which was fun for sipping a drink. One of the hotel elevators was looking older than the other and quite funky, more like an old clunky submarine with which the kids had a lot of fun.
One can also rent bikes at the lobby but the choice is rather limited to adult bikes only. I wish we could have rented a bike with a box for the kids, but for that we had to walk about 30 minutes to the place that provides the bikes for the hotel. Even with that trouble I still highly recommend renting bikes and exploring the city that way.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marija D
Dear Marija D,

Thank you very much for staying with us, it looks as if you had a great stay with you family including fun rides in our own "submarine".

As the hotel is categorized protected landmark, this is a feature we are not able to change, however I am happy to see it didn´t bother you.

- It is a great suggestion with a "box bike" for the kids, I will definitely explore the possibilities of this!

Thank you once again for staying with us - you are more than welcome to see us back if visiting Copenhagen again.

All the very best,

Chevy Chase, MD
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Our stay at the Palace Hotel was a mixed bag. The good: the location is unbeatable; the air-conditioning worked great. Rooms were, with one glaring exception, well-equipped, though very sparsely decorated (this is probably a style choice, which I could take or leave). Bed was extremely comfortable. The so-so: if breakfast isn't included in your room rate, it will appear pricey for a so-so buffet (over $30/pp). The bad: the drain in the bathtub was clogged and, even though we informed the front desk staff, it was not fixed, which made showering unpleasant. When we pointed out that the problem had not been repaired, the front desk staff said that maintenance staff was told and claimed to have fixed it, leaving me to surmise that the maintenance staff is not the most diligent. While the front desk staff apologized, they offered no adjustment or compensation. A small thing, but a hotel with the aspirations of this one should do better.

1 Thank KenCC
Dear KenCC,

Thank you very much for visiting and as well for posting your comments!

- I am pleased to let you know we have now decided to include breakfast in all our rates, now being able to offer the same lavish breakfast buffet at complementary basis to all guests staying with us.

Please accept my apologies about the clogged bathtub and poor action to solve it, I will address this to out maintenance crew immediately.

I hope to see you back again, and until then I wish you all the very best.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We travelled to Copenhagen to celebrate our wedding anniversary and chose Palace Hotel mainly because of its location and the good reviews here on Tripadvisor. I couldn't agree more with all the positive things people have written here, we absolutely loved the hotel!

Originally we had made a reseravtion for a standard room. As I had read that they have them both twin and double, I contacted the hotel before our trip to ask for a nice and quiet double room. We got a kind reply very fast saying that a they had reserved us a nice double room. This small gesture had already made us feel welcome, and the excellent service just continued as we arrived: when we finally arrived at the hotel we found out that we had been upgraded to a king superior - the surprise was heart-warming, especially as it was a special day for us.

As we arrived very early in the morning our room naturally wasn't ready, and we were also kindly offered a chance to upgrad to a junior suite, but that would have cost us a bit extra. We decided to go with the king superior and we didn't have to regret a bit. The 1st floor room was spacious, clean and airy, and it was definitely located in the quietest part of the hotel. The bathroom was spacious, too, and we both loved the bath tub. Extra points for Palace hotel for the proper toilet paper which usually by no means can be taken for granted. All the basic amenities were found in the room including hairdryer, iron and ironing board, safe deposit box, minibar and tea/coffee making facilities. Air conditioning worked perfectly and was very efficient in cooling the room.

The breakfast was full of options for all tastes, personally I preferred the traditional scrambled eggs with bacon, sausages, grilled tomatoes and potatoes - the beans I skipped. The bread selection was wide and there were also various types of cheese, cold cuts and vegetables available. Cereals and muesli were also available with milk and/or different types of jams. Fruit selection included melon (cantaloupe, water and honeydew), fresh pineapple, slices of oranges and grapefruits. With coffee (or tea) you could enjoy nice Danish pastries. Juices were tasty, although I would have preferred a bit bigger glasses for the drinks as the buffet room got a bit crowded from time to time and getting in just for a refill felt somewhat overwhelming. However, we managed to time our breakfast during the more quiet hours, got a table straight away and did not have to queue too long for anything.

And finally, a word about the location. It couldn't be better. Strøget, the pedestrian street with numerous shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants is just around the corner. Tivoli, the amusement park, is right across the city hall square and the central station is only a short walk away.

I would definitely choose Palace Copenhagen again and can easily recommend it to anyone.

Dear kippelssiini,

First of all congratulations on your anniversary, I am very happy you chose us to be part of this important celebration!

Thank you as well for the positive and praising feedback - I will share this with my teams, I know for sure they will appreciate it!

I wish you all the best of luck onwards and hope to see you back at Scandic Palace in near future.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel was in the best location. You could walk to everything, from restaurants to shopping, to sightseeing . It is a big old hotel with lots of history and character. The breakfast Buffett was excellent and so was the staff. The bellman brought me to three different rooms where I chose the large room with a balcony right in the center of the hotel overlooking the square. It had a large separate shower and separate toilette area. It was only an upgrade of 20 DK. Next to nothing for a great view and lots and lots of space.

1 Thank krochetwo
Dear krochetwo,

Thank you very much for staying with us, it seems like you had a great time here.

Copenhagen has so much to offer, and the view from our City Hall Square rooms is definitely worth trying when looking for vibrant city life.

I hope to see you back, and wish you all the very best.