“Free Copenhagen Tour (Of course tips welcomed!)”

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Copenhagen
Ranked #2 of 170 Nightlife in Copenhagen
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: For hundreds of years the Danes were an unstoppable force of warriors, explorers and settlers – uniting Scandinavia, discovering America and bringing terror to the shores of Europe. Today Copenhagen’s history of fire and bloody battles lies hidden behind picturesque streets and colorful harbors. As the days of conquest passed, Danish power was replaced with a rich cultural legacy of writers, artists and philosophers. The fairy tale feel of the city where Hans Christian Andersen wrote is the home of incredible stories and unbelievably true histories: Viking adventurers, pirate-hunting Bishop Absalon, daring Danish WWII resistance fighters and more. Our local expert guides will take you on a 3 hour walking tour through 6000 years of Copenhagen’s history and you’ll find out why the Danes are some of the happiest people in the world!
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We toured with Anna as well. She is very funny. I think she would like hearing that. However she speaks stuffy British English instead of good old American English! (Just kidding - yes, I am American). I figure I will get the bad out of the way. I didn't like that the tour ended on the other side of the city. With that said, I loved the tour. I learned a lot about the Danes. I hadn't realized their fall from power in Europe and how that happened. It was very educating. I think of them as the fearless Vikings, but I have grown to respect their comeback. We Americans love a comeback. We need one now! The tour took us about 3 1/2 hours which went by quick. From the old toilet beaches to the Queens palace, I learned a lot about the Danish culture. The subculture meets the old Aristocracy. The love of Queen Margaret is great and deserved. (A true image of a cultured, kind, and beloved matriarch) You will learn more on the tour. You will also learn about smoking weed without worry if you are into that. (Again go on the tour to find out more!) Anna even brings with her as tour guide a geography lesson of Denmark. And to dream about the possible death of one of the top Nazi officers... learn about the real James Bond and my favorite Bishop... hunting down pirates and still is hunting them in Somalia. Find out about an architects interpretations of a last laugh... See the Opera house... Espionage, freedom fighters, vikings, hippies, designers... and much more.

3  Thank Scott C
Write a ReviewReviews (3,284)
All reviews
"main sights"
in 20 reviews
"hour tour"
in 43 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I highly recommend on going on these tours when available. If you go to Copenhagen I hope you get to have a tour with Anna. She was a wonderful tour guide and taught us so much history. We learned a lot of facts about Copenhagen and their history. She managed to always keep us interested. A well worth it 3 hour tour. She was even kind enough to give us a break in a coffee shop since it was so cold. Do not miss out on one of these tours!

2  Thank love2travel1018
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I did the Sandeman's free tour with Anna. She was very enthusiastic and outgoing and knew a lot about Copenhagen, its history, as well as Denmark's history. She was very nice, answered all questions and gave great recommendations and directions. Definitely suggest doing this tour in Copenhagen!

2  Thank Irene F
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I really recomend this tour. My friends and I had a very good time. The guide was Aurora from Norway! She was very intersting and thanks to her we not only visited the city but we also learnt about Denmark and Copenhagen history. She was great.
Besides it's free, and if you enjoy the tour as we did, you can give whatever you want to the guide. So it's very nice for student.