“Perfectly adequate”

Ranked #63 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
East Morton
“Perfectly adequate”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Nice location in central Copenhagen, friendly staff with excellent English and local knowledge on attractions and getting about. Being in the centre, there can be occasional loud reveller on the street

Breakfast was ok... Perfectly edible not a vast choice.
There is a wonderful Italian restaurant down the same road from the Hotel...

Very happy to return and book again if ever in Copenhagen

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed 26 November 2013

While the ascot is a traditional hotel, it also has several apartment style rooms in an adjoining building, suitable for 1 person to families of 5 or 6. I've stayed twice, once alone and once with our family. Both times, we found the rooms to be spacious, clean, quiet and with all the amenities needed. Many windows provide lots of light (but with good curtains to block it also) and a nice view onto the quiet street and across the square. There is a small kitchen area with 2-burner stove, coffee maker, fridge in case you are ambitious and want to cook. Additionally, there are many restaurants situated on the same block, within 250 meters. The regional train and metro stations are within 300 meters, as are the main bus lines. Tivoli entrance is 200 meters away, and there is also a public swimming pool within a short walk.
Fresh towels are provided daily, and the beds are made up even in the apartments, so to me they seemed to be the best of both worlds - hotel and traditional home apartment!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was a little perplexed when booking the hotel due to mix review I read in tripadvisor but considering its location booked anyway. It nice experience, staff were friendly and accomodating. The room was big enough and had an empty fridge which I didn't notice at the beginning. The breakfast was just fine though not many choices for hot meal. For the 4 Star hotel the Bed and Pillow quality can be improved, they truly are discomfortable to sleep but if you are there for only night or two it doesn't matter.

Room Tip: Room at the courtyard facing was quite..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Across the World the major stores are assaulting our senses encouraging us to buy a turkey or goose with a 'consume by ' date of 23rd December, trying to push us into the present buying panic that drives their sales figures and empties our bank accounts. I believe that the Christmas spirit is something more than that. It is a time to count our blessings not how much we have spent, we can reflect on that in January! In the run up to Christmas I love to go to places that help to evoke that Christmas spirit. So this year it was Copenhagen at the beginning of November. It has history, it has churches, it has a Little Mermaid yearning for love.

Despite global warming it was satisfyingly cold. There were few signs of Christmas, unless you count the all year Christmas shop where I bought the traditional new decoration for the tree, this year it was a small straw reindeer with a red ribbon. It will sit well alongside my blue horse with the missing back leg.

I chose the very un-Danish sounding Ascot Hotel as my vacation accommodation (thanks tripadvisor for the reviews which helped my decision) The hotel is three minutes from the central station so fantastically located. I purchased a travel card from Information at the airport which gave three days unlimited travel on trains, metro and buses throughout Copenhagen as well as free entry to lots of museums and other attractions. We visited the zoo, fifteen minutes from the centre by bus and well worth a half day. Then there is the Carlsburg tour. Free entry with the card and two beers included. The Christmas beer had just gone on sale which added to the experience. We even managed a little Nordic Noir with a visit to the government buildings of "Borgen" and a trip over the bridge to Sweden famous for the series called appropriately 'The Bridge'. I saw no murder victims at the halfway point but I did get two hours in Malmo, worth a visit in it's own right. Visit or just stare at the 'Turning Torso', tallest building in Sweden, allegedly twisting itself towards Denmark in an overt political statement. Oddly I had the best Danish pastry in Sweden, a confection of pastry, custard and apricots which could not be eaten in a dignified manner since whichever way you bit into it, it would explode in another unexpected direction.

Back to the Ascot Hotel, in a little back street just behind the main square and a couple of minutes from a range of restaurants, it is a perfect family hotel. 'Charming' comes to mind. Spectacular if somewhat un- 'pc' murals in the lobby, a little bar to one side which does simple but wholesome food. A large breakfast area serving buffet style. Try the fresh orange squeezer for that early morning lift. It broke down twice but I was impressed by the speed in which the staff got it going again. Our room was on the first floor so we were able to avoid the microscopic lift/elevator. Great accommodation in a small suite where my son aged 11 had a very popular separate room with a TV. We could have done with a kettle as the ability to make coffee was much missed.

It is my third visit to Copenhagen and each time Tivoli Gardens has been closed. I stared like a small child through a small gap in the fence at the lurid attractions and made a note to plan my next trip around opening seasons. Through the gap I saw a man setting up a Christmas tree. That reminds me, it is now mid-November, I must go and buy a turkey today because 'when they are gone they are gone'.....

Room Tip: For families or those with walking difficulties ask for a lower room as the lift is slow and small...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 900Lancasterfamily
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

As a regular traveler to Copenhagen (over 5 years in over 40 different hotels) I have homed in on the Ascot Hotel. The building itself is magnificent, staff great, location superb (not in the seedy part with Vesterport close by) but it its also modestly priced for Copenhagen.

Room Service is offered from a number of excellent restaurants in the building (steak, italian, tapas etc) and the WiFi connection is free (although in some of the top rooms its hard to get a great connection on a phone).

The bar is disappointing however with bars around the corner it doesn't matter (the Scottish Pub is just around the corner with usually cheaper beers in the week and live music).

The gym is basic but often un-used so with a running machine, stepper, rowing machine and bike the other machines are all I needed.

I cant recommend this hotel highly enough - as I prefer a quiet room I suggest asking for a room on the inner courtyard nearest to the left of the hotel as you look at it. They also offer apartments for when you want to do some cooking yourself.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was lucky enough to get upgraded to one of the Hotel Apartments when I came for my one night stay during a business trip to Copenhagen and was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the apartment. It had everything you would need, and was clean and fresh.

The flat screen TV with a welcoming message with my name on it was a nice touch.

The hotel staff were friendly and even opened the bar for me when I asked for a nightcap. (also grateful that they didn't itemize the hotel bill so I was able to claim for that on my expenses ;-) )

The breakfast was great with Danish pastry to die for.

Would definitely return there, as it's also so central to the train station and the night life, and all for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

You can't beat the location of this hotel. Minutes from Tivoli and walking distance from many of the main attractions, shopping, restaurants. The hotel staff is very pleasant and helpful and speak very good English. Breakfast is good, a few hot items, fruit, yogurt and a lot of pastries, breads, meats and cheeses. The room we had was very small and the beds were terrible. My husband and I had a double room which was just two single beds pushed together with single bedding. The beds kept splitting apart which is so uncomfortable. (I know hotels often do this in Europe but normally the beds would zip together or at the very least, they would use the appropriate bedding) Worse than that is that there is hardly a mattress. It is a very thin, very uncomfortable piece of foam. Although this hotel has some great things going for it, if you can't get a good night sleep, I don't see the point. Change the beds and I would give it a great rating.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple