“Disappointing return”

Copenhagen Admiral Hotel
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This was my second visit to the Admiral. Its proximity to Nyhaven, the Royal Palace, the Opera House, the Mermaid and the harbour had all been big pluses on my first visit. I had only stayed one night on that visit and had checked out before breakfast.
This is a very large and busy hotel which I hadn't really appreciated on my first visit. I stayed 3 nights this time. Breakfast was like a cattle market. Its all a bit impersonal and their 'customer orientation' is somewaht lacking.
We had a 'mix-up' over a Caesar Salad order at the outdoor restaurant / café. The menu said it had anchovies with it , which I like. Having ordered I took a call on my mobile and while my wife who was trying to order a Caesar Salad without anchovies was informed the anchovies were only in the dressing and the menu hadn't yet been updated, I missed it. When my salad arrived I rejected it because it didn't have the anchovies as stated on the menu. Presuming I wouldn't be charged because the menu had been misleading I was somewhat surprised when I came to settle the bill and saw I was being charged.
I raised this with the waitress who was the restaurant / café supervisor only to be told some faceless manager, hiding in the kitchen, was insisting I was charged. She said that the manager wouldn't come out to discuss the matter and the only way the charge could be removed from my bill was if she took it as a deduction from her pay. Obviously I didn't take her up on that offer.
This has left a lasting bad taste in my mouth .... not the taste of anchovies !
Poor show Admiral ..... a strong supporter and recommender of your hotel no more.

Room Tip: I have always looked for a harbour view. If you were worried about noise from the main restaurant an...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 130R
There are newer reviews for Copenhagen Admiral Hotel

Reviewed 22 August 2014

..as the Admiral Hotel in Copenhagen has no air conditioning, you must leave the window open to get any fresh air into the room.. and on both sides of the building there is outside noise that will interfere with most anyone that is not a sound sleeper.. at $400+ a night for what is labeled a 4-star hotel, this is totally unacceptable.

Room Tip: ..don't have any, as they all do not have a/c
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is next to port, conveniently located to explore copenhagen. What I enjoyed was a very helpful staff, who had offered and prepared a vegetarian meal for me. (Its a different story that I didnt like it.)

Room Tip: Place to visit little mermaid
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Absolutely loved the location - right by Nyhaven, my favourite neighbourhood in the city - and history of this rather charming hotel. I quite liked the post and beam style of this historic waterfront warehouse building. We had an end room looking over the water, so the view couldn't have been better.

A couple of drawbacks included the bed - although adequate, it was less-than ideal (think upscale futon mattress) - and an outdated, though clean, carpet. With a bit of updating to the rooms, this hotel could certainly be 5-star. The staff was generally friendly, international and multi-lingual.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian K
Reviewed 20 August 2014

When we arrived at the Admiral we weren't quite sure what to expect. It proved to be an excellent choice, just along from Nyhavn so well located for many of the City's attractions. Depending on the traffic, it's a 10 to 20 minute taxi ride from the central railway station.

A former warehouse, it has vaulted corridors and massive wooden beams throughout - our bedroom had a lot, none less than 10 inches square in section, so very substantial! The room was well equipped, with all the facilities one expects in a hotel of this standard, and very clean. Breakfast was very good, with plenty of choice and very efficient staff.

The rear of the hotel backs onto the main canal which links the Copenhagen harbours to the sea. Whilst we were there, three tall ships were moored right outside and in the background, across the water, is the modern Opera House. A very pleasant outlook for an evening drink in the hotel bar or, if you prefer, a meal in the neighbouring SALT restaurant.

All in all, one to be recommended.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were starting a cruise from Copenhagen and didn't want to use the typical hotel attached to the cruise line. Researching the internet, The Admiral looked interesting. Orginally a warehouse, all of the wooden beams have been preserved, making each room unique. Our room was up in the gables. Walking in we saw the standard TV (with American stations), couch, modern Scandinavian bath, but no bed. Seeing the metal steps, we looked up and found the loft where there was a queen sized bed with down comforter. There was a skylight over the bed with a curtain that you could close. No A/C available but there was a fan. Since it was July, it was warm and humid; but these days are so few, A/C is not a standard. That night we were soexhausted from our flight and fell asleep easily until we woke up suddenly to the bright light over our bed (we had forgotten to close the curtain). Panic, did we miss the ship? Looking at the clock, it was only 4 AM. We didn't realize that the days were this long at this lattitude . We kniew it was true up north in Russia where we are headed. Later on this hotel was talked about in lectures on things to see in Copenhagen. It is on the canal and close to the Queen's Palace. Breakfast buffets in the area are outstanding and you won't have to eat again until supper.

Room Tip: I have read other reviews about bad odors etc. We were there a few weeks ago with friends and none...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travnur
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The only good comment to make is the ships on the ground floor are interesting and the external facade and canons in the foreground showed promise, that's where it stopped. Our driver told us it looked like a prison from the outside, well now we can tell him it is like one inside. There is no assistance with luggage, you are left to find a trolley for bags or simply struggle with them to your room. We paid the equivalent of $500 AUD for a junior suite with a harbour view. Nothing suite about this room, The bathroom smelt disgraceful every day, and the bathroom wasn't big enough to stand in to dry yourself. To get into the bath (for a shower) you have to close the door, and when you hop out, almost into the toilet you need to go into the small hallway to have room to dry yourself. the 'suite' was a small pokey room downstairs with barely room for two let alone the supposed capacity for a family. There is an upstairs bedroom with just room for a bed, nothing else. The heat is terrible. No fans, no air con. We wondered why people had their doors open. We soon realised it was for cross ventilation. But when that happened you had to deal with screaming kids and other adult conversations between rooms. The harbour view would only be possible if you stand on a chair because the windows in these rooms are high in the ceiling area. To open a window you had to stand on a chair or be 7 feet tall. The wardrobe, if you could call it a wardrobe, was just a small space with a few hangers, no drawers. There was tea and coffee and milk which wasnt replenished during our stay at all. The pictures on the website must be elongated because they show very differently to what I have taken. the TV for example is small and rectangle but the hotel website pic makes it look like a very longer TV and spacious room. Good luck with getting any sleep, the noise coming from over the river at a venue playing music was extremely loud periodically from late night to 5am in the morning, and that was early in the week.And the free wifi didn't work more often than it did. Best reception in the foyer but wifi was available in room and rarely worked. For 500 AUD. We can best describe it as like a cheap motel, in comparison our next hotel in Sweden was less price and 6 star service and quality. I will not be recommending this hotel nor would I ever go back myself. Waste of money, not worth what we paid.

4  Thank mrsmusk