“Bad experience started from the reception and continued”

Copenhagen Mercur Hotel
Ranked #55 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Lviv, Ukraine
“Bad experience started from the reception and continued”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We were asked for 2,000 DKK deposit despite we have paid in advance for the whole week more than 16k! Without any advance notice, reservation papers state we paid all and completely!

We had twin room, and there were simply no space in the room for our bags. Every time we had step them over.

The size of the room is so small, and the worst it is missing any ventilation. In an hour you feel bad.

Open window does not help either, terrible noise from city train across the street makes sleep absolutely unpleasant.

The only good thing is location close to the city centre - however I believe there might be other hotels with better quality versus price ratio.

Would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed August 2013
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear IhorKostiv,

thank you for taking the time for a review of BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel.

It is a standard procedure that hotels take authorization on a card for incidentals. This is also stated on every booking confirmation.

Some of the rooms are different in size, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by putting you up in one of them.

One of the downsides of being in the city center is that there is noise from the trains and traffic sometimes, this is out of control unfortunately.

We are sorry to hear that we didn´t exceed your expectations during your stay with us.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me via my email: es@hotelpropertygroup.dk.

Management Assistant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 24 August 2013

On the plus side:

Close to the railway station (so easy to get to and from the airport and to enjoy day trips out of Copenhagen), to the Tivoli Gardens (a delight, especially in the evening) and to a metro station.

On the down side:

Most of the 'action' has moved away from this area and it felt metaphorically, as well as literally, on the wrong side of the tracks. Whilst only 15 minutes or so walk away from the centre of the city it felt somewhat isolated. There were a few decent cafes nearby but very few good restaurants in the immediate vicinity. My room was perfectly adequate, the bed linen was good and the bed comfortable, but it felt like a budget room, and I was certainly not paying budget prices! My bedroom was at the back, overlooking a tennis court and an office block so it was quiet. I found the service desk perfectly helpful, but very laid back and relaxed.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear ZetaLondon,

Thank you for your review of BEST WESTERN Mercur Hotel.

It is lovely to hear that you found our location suitable under your stay in Copenhagen.
Being right behind the busy avenue of Vesterbrogade gives us the advantage of central location without the noise of traffic there.

I am sorry to hear that your room felt ´budget´ that is not what our design and services and aiming for. Unfortunately some rooms are smaller than others.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was at this hotel with my husband for 2 nights over a weekend.
The location is excellent, very close to the main attractions in the city centre. Our room was facing the back of the building on a high floor so it was not noisy.
The room itself is not big and furnished iBis style. The bed was a bit too soft for me but I could still sleep well.
The bathroom was decent and the only problem is a fairly high step right at the bathroom door, which is not good if you want to use the bathroom at night. It is actually a hazard and I don't understand why it is there! It could be dangerous for elderly people.
Staff was very helpful with requests and inquiries.
This was probably one the worst value for money hotel we stayed, however everything is expensive in Copenhagen so if you want a decent place to stay without breaking the bank this is a good option.

Room Tip: High floor facing the back. You don't get the view but then you don't get the noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Nina_acht,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review here.

We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with our location and your quiet room.

The decoration gives maybe the Ibis feeling to some, that might be because a while ago the hotel was in that hotelgroup wich owns Ibis and Mercure hotels. However some of our rooms are refurbished and we are constantly working on making everything better.

I am sorry for the inconvenience of the step right at the bathroom entrance.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I usually visit Copenhagen once a year and this is the first and last time I stay at this hotel.
This is not a budget hotel but certainly feels like it. The room was small, no AC and faced the street so we were forced to open the window to get fresh air, but impossible to keep it open to sleep. The service desk was undermanned, despite that the hotel was fully booked. We were greeted with nonchalance and they were most unwiling to provide an early breakfast.
I stayed one night and changed to a cheaper but much better hotel the next day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Pozzoz,

Let me apologize on behalf of our entire team for not exceeding your expectations under your stay in Copenhagen.

Unfortunately older hotels in the city center do not have AC system installed, but I can see your point with the open window and noise.
You are always welcome to request a quiet room looking to the backyard of the hotel.

Management Assistant

Travellers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Aberdeen
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely holiday in Copenhagen based at this hotel. The staff on reception were very friendly, efficient and spoke good English. We were staying with our two teenage children, and they thoughtfully booked our rooms next to each other. On checkin, if you have booked breakfast, they give you a breakfast card for each breakfast per person per day and you had these in at the restaurant. Breakfast had a good selection - lovely Danish pastries, breads, cheeses, coleslaw and salad if that appeals to you at breakfast, crepes, fruit, selection of cooked breakfast too. The hotel is 5 minutes from the railway station, so even with luggage we were able to walk from the station to the hotel. Our rooms were quiet at night and as an added bonus you can see the fireworks from the Tivoli on a saturday night quite clearly! Rooms were clean and there was a welcome fan for warmer nights. WiFi was free, though performance was variable. Everything in Copenhagen is relatively easy to reach on foot - this hotel is just on the edge of the centre of town but we found it quite easy and quick to walk everywhere. Would happily come back to this hotel if staying again in Copenhagen.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Andyabz,

thank you for taking the time to give us a review here.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your holiday in Copenhagen and found everything easy to reach in the city from the hotel.

Sorry about the wifi connection, we´ll have a look into that.

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Check in was OK. Very noisy because of the trains and buses nearby. Very hot and stuff room, with no AC, and the plug-in fan was not up to the job. Given the cost relative to other hotels I expected much better.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Brendan D,

Thank you for giving us the feedback we need to better our services.

Let me apologize on behalf of our entire team for not exceeding your expectations.

Being in the very center of the city does have its disadvantage, in this case the noise unfortunately.
Unfortunately older hotels in the city do not have the AC installed, because summers normally
don´t get thiat warm, that is why we installed the fans. Sorry to hear that it was not an adequate solution.

Los Angles
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Well this property is very close to the train station and has a great central location!! Breakfast was great and I loved the pate and the great selection of hot entrees. The hotel is building a gym in the basement to enhance there amenities.The singles have the advantage of having some good sized balconies with a great view of the city and the clock tower. The one drawback of this hotel that I can see is that is doesn't have an air conditioner . I was lucky because I could open the balcony and get some good air flow but this hotel would be a little warmish in July with no AC:(! I was content and would come back but only as a single so that I could have one of the smaller rooms with a full sized bed and a great airy balcony!!

Room Tip: If your a single traveler this is the place due to the groovy balcony!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Eszter_Szucs, Management Assistant at Copenhagen Mercur Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear 7ContinentGal,

thank you for taking the time to give us a review here.

We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your accomodation and our location. It is indeed nice that our single rooms have balconies.

The heat wave caught the city off guard, it is not typical for the summer to be that warm here, and therefore only the newer hotels are equipped with AC.

We hope you enjoyed our lovely city and retuned home with nice memories.

Have a nice day!