“Very central location if a bit dated”

Copenhagen Plaza Hotel
Ranked #46 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Sydney, Australia
“Very central location if a bit dated”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in the second week of September and I had read heaps of reviews on Trip Advisor for hotels in Copenhagen. It was going to be expensive wherever we stayed so we booked this hotel on the visitcopenhagen.com website as they take bookings without payment first.

We asked for a non-smoking and quiet room and got one on the very top floor. The room had character with the beams over the windows and the bathroom was quite spacious (but I think it was because we got one of the rooms that were in the corner of the roof). The rooms itself is very clean and the beds very comfortable. However, the rest of the hotel does look a bit dated and the carpet in the hallways are a bit shabby.

There was a concert on at Tivoli one night we were there and it was loud! But it stopped around 12.30am so it didn't bother me too much but it's not that quiet if there is something happening at Tivoli.

Breakfast was fine - good selection of pastries, hot food and continental breakfast items. I found the staff to be generally quite helpful, even with our very early morning checkout. This hotel is very centrally located and we just walked everywhere from here.

You also get free wi-fi which is an added bonus.

I'd definitely stay here again as I think it's a hotel with a bit of character and a great location.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
AllanMulis, General Manager at Copenhagen Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2011
Dear Whimsical_Iv,
thank you very much for posting a comment of our hotel. Positive and honest comments are always welcome!

Our rooms on the top floor are a bit different from the rest of the hotel. As they are located close to the roof of the hotel, and being in an older building, we do have wooden beams only in these rooms. Some guests absolutely love these rooms, and others are not so fond of them. Regarding the size of the bathroom, most of our rooms do have spacious bathrooms. This is one of the advantages that the building was build as hotel.

As all other hotels, we also need to improve and therefore we are also planning to enhance some parts of the hotel.
In the last 6 months we have for example focused on other parts of the building, as we have opened up a Coffee House in our hotel, we have exchanged the entire aircondition system, and renovated 3 rooms. -and more good initiatives are coming this year also.

I do hope that you will visit us again and see all our new actions in improving our little hotel.
Allan Mulis, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had a room facing Tivoli. Aircondition was not working, so had to keep door open... traffic noise and extreme noise from Tivoli across the street made it impossible to sleep until well after 2am. Fireworks went off at midnight - got a good view of course from balcony. Breakfast buffet was decent; staff was not willing to accommodate our guests though and told us so rudely.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Elu2222,
thank you very much for writing a review of our hotel. All feedback is important, as we strive to do better all the time.
Regarding the noise, we are located in the City Center, and this has its advantages but also down sides sometimes.

Regarding the Aircondition: In Scandinavia, aircondition is unfortunately not a common thing as standard. However we appreciate our guests needs and therefore we are one of those hotels who do have aircondition. Last summer 2010, we did unfortunately have a malfunction in our aircondition system, which was also why we decided to install a brand new system in the entire hotel. Every single room has now had a new aircondition/heating module installed.

Regarding our breakfast staff, I do not know what could have happened, however we strive to accomodate all guests in a nice manner. I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience and your review has been passed on to our Restaurant Manager.

Once again thank you very much for your comments, and I do hope that you will visit us again.
Allan Mulis, General Manager
Arizona
Reviewed 15 September 2010

The location of this hotel is amazing- one block from the train station and one block from Tivoli! We were greeted upon arrival and our room was ready right away. We were upgraded to a suite and it was great! A small room with a king sized bed, a decent sized living area and a bathroom with tub and separate shower! What more can you ask for!?

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2010

There is a reason 4 out of 5 recent reviews for this hotel are horrific.

I have been staying in hotels on a weekly basis for 12 years and can categorically say this is the worst hotel I have had the misfortune of being booked into (obviously due to lack of research).

No air conditioning, and literally in the path of rail traffic so it is noisy – and I can usually sleep through anything. If this isn’t enough, there were cracks in the walls of the room and the bathroom was moldy.

I cannot for the life of me imagine the positive reviews for this hotel are genuine.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DanielDej
Dear DanielDej,
thank you very much for your comment. It is important that we hear our guests' opinions, the good ones but also very much the not so good ones.

Our hotel is located in the middle of the city and that does have it advantages. However when booking a stay in a centrally located hotel, one should expect some noise, as most cities are bustling environments. I do not think that we are more noisy than other city hotels, but I am sorry that you had a bad experience!

Regarding maintaining our rooms, it is an ongoing process for us. We have many guests staying with us throughout the year and we are constantly painting and giving our rooms a touch-up. We have also changed the aircondition system. We took the decision of installing a brand new system, and we have been working on this the last 4 months. I am very happy to say that we today have a brand new system installed in all rooms. All aircondition/heating modules have been exchanged in all rooms.

But Daniel I hope that you will be willing to stay with us again, to see all the good things we are doing in our hotel.
Allan Mulis

Travellers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Recently had to spend a night here on business. GIven a poor, noisy room which was far too hot. Reception staff refused to find an alternative and it was impossible to sleep because of the combination of heat and noise in the very mediocre room. Dinner choices were extremely limited, although the staff here were very good. Beware also of the pay TV scam: I paid for one movie and then discovered the special offer which meant that I could have unlimited access to movies, so I chose it. When it came time to check out, I was charged twice for movies and when I questioned this the reception staff became very obstructive. I asked to speak to the manager I was told that would not be possible, so I refused to sign my bill. I was told by reception staf that it didin't matter anyway as they had already charged my card. I don't think that's legal!
Denmark and the Danes are both great but, whatever you do, don't stay in this place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Aylesbury
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We have just spent a great weekend at the Copenhaghen Plaza to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. We booked a standard double room, but I added a note to my booking explaining that it was a special weekend & asking for the best possible room at this rate - and we were not disappointed! Our room was on the 6th floor with stunning views over Tivoli & the city. The room was modern, extremely clean & a generous size. We loved the window seat running almost the length of the room & the lovely beamed sloping ceiling.
The lack of A/C was not a problem for us as the temperatures didn't get much above 20 degrees & we found just keeping the windows open until we went to sleep kept the room cool enough.
The only thing I could fault with the room is the lack of tea making facilities! (But I am a bit of a tea addict!).
Our room rate included breakfast with was delicious & there was a huge range of freshly prepared hot & hold items to chose from.
All the staff we met on reception, at breakfast & in the Library bar were polite, helpful & knowledgeable - they are a credit to the hotel.
We really enjoyed our visit to Copenhagen, which was in no small part due to our choice of hotel. We will definately stay at this hotel again next time we visit Copenhagen.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EMTAylesbury
Hamptons
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Definitely don't stay here if:
- you are a high needs family with young children
- muffled city noise makes it hard for you to sleep
- it's summertime (there is no A/C)

Do stay here if:
- you want a unique, charming property in the heart of the city
- muffled city noise doesn't bother you for sleeping
- you want a spacious grand suite (ours is a huge 2 bedroom suite, rooms 506, 507 & 508)

We didn't find the room tattered or dirty like some other reviews. Yes, the lack of A/C bothered us (but keeping the doors open for a while before bedtime helped a lot, as did the rain, which cooled things off). It's impossible to sleep with the doors open. Also the doors don't lock from the inside, which is an issue for trying to contain small spirited children. And it's not easy to warm a bottle here.

Only stay on a high floor (we were first given a room on the 1st floor which had zero privacy and felt like we were in the middle of the street).

We stuck with it because we loved our incredible suite (and its lovely views over Tivoli!) and we figured out how to manage the things that bothered us.

So it depends on your tolerance level. Good luck!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family