“Best Place I've Ever Stayed”
Review of Hotel D'Angleterre

Hotel D'Angleterre
Ranked #1 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Best Place I've Ever Stayed”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

What an amazing (and expensive) hotel. The room we had was enormous with a beautiful view. The design and appointments were superb. There are beautiful sculptures and artwork in the rooms. The staff is very attentive and helpful. This gem richly deserves its five star rating.

Room Tip: Oveerlooking the front of the hotel.
4 Thank SoonerBob87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My summer holidays ended in Copenhagen (as the 6th destination) and I must say, it was truly the best. The number one factor was staying at this amazing, luxurious and splendid hotel! We stayed in the Deluxe one-bedroom suite for 3 nights and it was truly an amazing experience! The suite was very spacious and the decor was very light and breathy yet very luxurious! It was brought to my attention that the hotel was completely renovated and recently re-opened its doors to guests this year! The service was top-notch as all the staff members were very friendly and very attentive! Not a single staff member was cold or rude towards us .. I thank them all for being so professional at what they do! Furthermore, the location of the hotel is so strategic. All the important landmarks are close by and most are by walking distance! I have to note though that this hotel is very expensive, so if you are on a tight budget then it's not for you! For me, it was worth every Krone staying here! I am definitely going back to Copenhagen soon and without hesitation, I will stay at Hotel D'Angleterre again; and I really hope the quality or standards do not worsen! This is a great hotel in a great city!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MB000
Denmark
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked the D'angleterre a few weeks in advance. They are more or less booked solid with the tourists right now, and well into fall. I was able to secure a Deluxe Junior Suite which is the 5'th "best" category in the house. Supposedly they have a total of 90 rooms, however rumors say that they are only about half done fitting the rooms.

The renovation is quite impressive. I have used the hotel for work functions prior to renovation and the building (from the mid 1700's) was in really poor condition. After the renovation, I must say, that they certainly went "all in". Colours are grey, creamy white and a dash of purple here and there. It works.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the bellman whom helped getting bags and stuff out of the car. A bit of confusion with the bellman ensued, as they didn't quite understand that I was there early and checking in. Whatever. Got to reception (which is a nice bright room) and commenced the usual "Fill out a form" and hand us your CC. Interestingly enough the forms never stated the rate, which is customary abroad.

I was told that I could get access to the room at 14.00 HRS. (which was fine). Upon returning to the hotel I again approached the reception and new staff was a bit confused - so I was handed the same form and asked to fork over the CC again. Anyway, they handled it OK, and asked if they should show me my room. I was handed the keys to room 201.
(There are rooms on level 1-4).

Upon arrival to the room I noted that it was a nice upgrade to a Theme Suite (which is the second best category). Right away the staff noted that the key that you have to stick in a light socket assembly by the entrance was not woring correctly.

Apparently the socket had sustained some sort of damage and you had to wiggle the key to keep the lights from not flickering. I never quite understood the antiquated "Key for power" system, but whatever. They would send a tech. Tech arrived after 5 minutes and concluded that i'd just have to wiggle the key and eventually it would work. Thanks. LOL.

The room issued was the Karen Blixen Suite (Danish writer), and had a african theme going for it. Around 100m2 in size, 1 living room, 1 hall, 1 bedroom and a very large bathroom with tub and shower separate. Single vanity.

The two rooms featured large B&O televisions with digital settop system. (Movies, etc). There was ample closet space and also a (very small) balcony in the living room. The views were full frontal towards Kongens Nytorv (main square - view to Nyhavn, etc).

The quality of the room and accessories were quite high. I'd say that the woodwork, ceilings (very very beautiful) was above a regular 5* Luxe type property. The furniture itself was a bit below. Bedframe was cheesy in my opinion. The african themed items were not antiques, but rather concept styled stuff. Quality was pretty good. The bathroom fittings were really nice. I was especially impressed by the tub and toilet (Japanese style - very high end).

The bed was excellent. I had heard that they are using DUX beds, and sure enough, a very very nice 010/200x200 was sitting in the bedroom. I have DUX as well at home, so I slept like a baby.

Interior wise there was a couple of little niggles. The rainshower head had one setting, which was piercing thin jolts of water. Hardly a "real" rainshower. Our room had a centrepiece of the main bedroom mirror missing, which was really odd, as there was a hole in the middle of the mirror where the wires for light went. Im not sure how they could have missed that. The centrepiece is like 1x1 meters and lights up! Weird!

As I was only there for one night, I decided not to make a fuss. The second larger issue (for me at least) was that the antique
Chesterfield couch in the living room reeked of smoke. First, I thought that someone had been smoking in the room, but it was the couch that smelled horribly. I'm quite surprised that they would miss something like that. The antique desk was also a bit battered, and the chair that goes with it (more modern reproduction) was so tall that your legs wouldn't fit if you sat by the desk. Really really odd.

I did try out the room service which was really nice. Well prepared, quickly delivered, and priced fairly (pretty much London prices @ comparable hotels)

Hygiene/Cleaning was pretty good. I mean, its the best I have experienced in Denmark. They did partially fail the 2 meter test (is stuff above the heighth of a normal person clean), but in all fairness it was limited to dust and lint here and there. The bedframe is a bit of a dust collector, so they'll need to check that out more in the future.

Oddly enough the mattress is not covered. Only the top portion of it.

The grey quilted cover CAN be removed and cleaned but it takes like an hour, so I doubt that they do it every day. I'd think in the long run, they'll need to cover it.

Service wise the staff seemed very eager, and most of them also pretty capable. I was surprised to see a concierge with Les Clefs d'Or. I think thats a first in Denmark. On the second day though, they managed to take almost two hours and three phone calls to get an ironing board, so I guess its still very much dependant on who you get a hold of.

At the end of the day, i'd certainly stay at the D'angleterre without hesitation. Most of the issues I have noted, I think are related to the very very recent renovation, new teams and new staff. I'll certainly do a follow up, the next time I go.

I'd say that a fair rating is just between 4 and 5 points, due to the issues listed above, but I am certain that these will be recitifed switftly and customers in the future will not experience those issues.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank MorganJ
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Although this hotel is currently under renovation we had the good fortune of securing one of the completed 35 rooms. The renovation of this room was magnificent from the fabrics, materials, amenities and scale. There were one or two small items that needed completion however they were hardly noticeable compared to the sheer elegance of the room. The public spaces were also incredibly tasteful.
The staff was superb and extremely attentive in every way. The location was terrific and we were able to walk to most sites. The breakfast buffet was fabulous and a Danish danish was worth trying. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Be wary of the rooms without a view. You could be looking into a rooftop.
3 Thank JillSL212
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We just returned from a Baltic cruise and decided to splurge on our hotel in Copenhagen for a two day stay. Great decision! Wonderful hotel in the perfect location. Attentive, youthful, and energetic staff were eager to make our stay enjoyable. Every person we dealt with went out of their way to help us, but especially notable were Christian, Katrine, Sebastian, and Jan. The Hotel D'Angleterre clearly deserves its 5 star rating!

3 Thank Nikkiess
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is a proper 5 star hotel. The staff are very polite, knowledgeable and helpful. The newly renovated rooms are very nice indeed. Services like valet parking, concierge etc work well. The hotel is perfectly located in the centre of the city. It is very expensive though, but if money is no object, stay here.

1 Thank DavRo24
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We had a nice dinner and stayed the night in a lovely room with a view of the square and Nyhavn. Good and nicely presented breakfast. The Hotel had just reopened a few weeks before our stay and work hadn't quit finished.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple