“Beautiful Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Preston, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights.
It's absolutely gorgeous and has a lovely eco flow throughout, down to the organic towels.
The bedrooms are lovely, the staff are very friendly and helpful.
The restaurant is also great. We had to stay in due to a bad snow storm and the restaurant was closing but they were very happy for us to stay and looked after us. We had a delicious tapas.
We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be going back!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Finnish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I agree with the other reviewer that the location is convenient, but the walls were very thin between the rooms. On top of that there was a constant buzz in the room that kept me awake most of the night. When I asked the receptionist about it they said it was the minibar. If you cannot sleep, you won't be able to sit properly at the desk either because the table is so low that your legs will not fit underneath it.The room was very small, especially the bathroom. Half of the walk in shower entrance was blocked by this bamboo ladder leaning against the wall with towel. It was a rather disappointing stay for what they charge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank May A
Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled to Copenhagen from Glasgow for a short city break in October. We stayed at the Axel Guldsmeden for 3 nights. We both really liked everything about the hotel and the eco-friendly theme appealed to us. We paid extra for breakfast each morning and for spa access and I would advise this to anyone thinking of staying at the hotel. From our arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful, couldn't ask for more. Breakfast was really delicious and filled us up until mid-afternoon. The spa was really lovely and relaxing, the cold bath was great! The rooms were quite small but there was adequate room for our belongings and us. It was my boyfriend's birthday while we were there and the hotel were happy to organise breakfast in our room which was a really lovely touch. Would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have to reluctantly mark this hotel down. It's a beautiful building, the staff were generally extremely helpful and nice and it was close to the train station and easy walking distance to a lot of sites however for the 3 nights I was there I got very little sleep. As a result I unfortunately left copenhagen exhausted.

The walls between rooms and the hallway were like paper. The first night I could here the guy in the next room snoring all night, on another night a tv in an adjoining room was on till all hours (they did not have it on loud). Every step someone took on the creaky wooden floors in the hallway could be heard. Add to this the drunk idiots in the street below and it all added up to interrupted sleep every night.

Then there was the morning I got to breakfast 20 minutes before it was due to finish and found the whole thing packed up. Yes it was pretty late in the morning but I was late due to trying to catch up on sleep and I wasn't actually late to the stated times for breakfast.

I wanted to like the hotel but these factors combined with the sky high Copenhagen price gets it a 2 from me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Andrew A
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My boyfriend and I were attracted to this hotel after seeing it ranked so highly on the 'best for romantic stays' section for Copenhagen. Unfortunately, the combination of the cramped living space and "Lady Love" strip club across the street meant it didn't exactly live up to the hype.

The space in the standard double room is very tight, which isn't helped by the minibar and glass/snacks cabinet which together take up a large area of the room. A chest of drawers to actually store clothes would have been far more useful and appropriate. The standard double bed, while comfortable, is actually two single beds squashed together.

While we were aware that the hotel had a focus on sustainability, I was surprised by just how widespread this was across the hotel's facilities. Standard double rooms only have a small shower cubicle, and I can imagine most guests would expect a bath with shower head from a 3 star hotel. This is not mentioned on the website description for a room of this type. I have a feeling the rooms' lack of baths are probably down to the hotel's eco focus - not impressive to be honest when you're paying in the region of £400 for a 3 night stay, excluding breakfast, which at 190 Kroner (around £20 a day) was hardly a bargain deal. For reference, a 3 night stay in the 3 star Best Western or Copenhagen Star will cost you in the region of £80-£100 less and I'm sure the breakfast is a lot cheaper and hotter - no bacon or sausages to be seen at the Axel that's for sure!

The towels are 'sustainable' and unfortunately do not get you particularly dry as a result. The bathroom toiletries (shampoo, conditioner etc) had already been used by previous guests and consequently did not look particularly attractive. While I understand that the hotel focuses on sustainability, I do think that a basic changing over of toiletries should occur in a 3 star hotel and believe most people would expect the same. There is only one lift which we waited for every time and was often very cramped. In terms of the quality of the staff, on asking for a mainstream beer brand at the bar (which doubles as a hotel lobby), I was sneered at and told I could only purchase organic varieties there (more expensive of course), while on departure we were not asked any questions about how our stay had been.

To conclude, I have no problem paying 3 star prices for a genuine 3 star experience but I do believe this hotel borders on the 2/3 star line and is poor value for money. At Axel, you get the basics you pay for and are tempted into buying everything else, from the expensive Pinot Noir in the bedroom to the breakfast and spa at 295 Kroner for the stay. While Copenhagen is admittedly an expensive city, it seems very likely to me that the eco-sustainability focus of Axel considerably drives up its costs. As a result, I would advise those who aren't day to day green goddesses to look elsewhere for a romantic city break hotel.

Room Tip: For a bath pick the superior!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LauraG010590
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just spent two nights at the Axel hotel and can thoroughly recommend it. Excellent location- walkable from train station which is only a ten minute journey to the airport.

Lovely atmosphere as soon as you walk in thanks to the friendly staff, Balinese influence and comfortable bar area in which to relax. There is a basket of apples at the door which is a nice touch. We arrived early at midday and were immediately shown up to our room which was lovely. We had upgraded to a superior double which was spacious with a balcony overlooking the internal courtyard and a sizeable bathroom with free standing bath. lovely products in the room and a very comfortable bed.

Breakfast is amazing and not to be missed. We didn't manage to get there until 9.30am every day and expected it to be deserted but it was heaving and looked as if it could go on all day. Very buzzy with what seemed like lots of outsiders who were coming in to eat because it was so good. Huge array of fruit, meats, cheeses and delicious bacon plus homemade porridge and honey with almonds... I could go on! It is not cheap but well worth it, it will keep you going all day!

Other nice touches are the free tea, coffee and cakes that are always available on the bar for residents, wide selection of wines and beers and copious amounts of delicious paprika crisps and nuts to nibble upon. Lunch boxes are also available for packing away any little treats you fancy!
It is a very relaxed homely place in which to stay, but also offers a haven at the end of a long day of cycling, shopping and sightseeing. It really does feel as if you are staying with friends and helping yourself to their fridge. We will be back.

Room Tip: Back room overlooking courtyard, not near lift and higher floor. It seems that many people get a fre...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
twickenham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

My boyfriend arranged this trip to celebrate my birthday and it really was excellent. The hotel was very accommodating, we arrived early and we upgraded to a junior suite for free (even though the hotel was already excellent value for money for just the standard room).

Copenhagen is a very expensive city and the hotel mirrors this, so I don't feel that it is a criticism of the hotel directly but the food and wine is rather expensive; although very good. It is however, similar prices to other venues in the city, so as I said, it's the city, rather than the hotel.

We paid extra to use the spa, the fee covers the duration of your stay and we used it every day; however, on the morning of our last day the sauna and the steam room were not on so we could only use the jacuzzi which was a little disappointing given that we'd paid extra thinking that all facilities would be available during the spa opening times. There wasn't anyone around to speak to about it without going to reception in our bathing suits! Overall, the spa was a very enjoyable part of our trip and I would highly recommend upgrading to include this in your stay. The homemade scrubs and beauty products really add to the experience too leaving your skin feeling great!

The bedroom and living area was lovely, reasonably spacious for a centrally located hotel. The toiletries in the bathroom were amazing and the bath in the bed room was a nice little extra. The room had real glasses (wine and water) which you could use which was a nice touch again. Everything is organic so it's nice knowing that you are not using anything which is too unsustainable.

The bed was incredible! It enveloped you in the duvet and the mattress! I slept so well. The room was warm, too warm at times, but a short period with the window or the juliet balcony doors open sorted that, so no problem there.

The weather was horrendous on our first day - we borrowed an umbrella from the hotel and I think we definitely had the best umbrella in the city if not Europe! It was the day the storm hit and winds were hurricane level making it hard to walk by the time it was in full flow, knocking people off their feet. However, not once, did our umbrella turn inside out! INCREDIBLE!

Breakfast was on the pricey side so we went down the road to Bang & Jensen for a wonderful experience instead which was approximately half the price. However, if breakfast at the hotel is like everything else, I am sure it would have been great!

Overall, an excellent hotel providing excellent service and a superb place to locate yourself for a stay in Copenhagen.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple