“Perfect stay!”

Axel Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 August 2008

We spent a long weekend in Copenhage and stayed in the Axel Hotel Guldsmeden. The hotel was just perfect. I would certainly recommend it. Check-in went smoothly and our room was already ready for us early in the morning, so we did not have to wait until the afternoon to go up to our room. We were also upgraded to a junior suite, probably because we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The room was at the back of the hotel and very very quiet. The room was spacious with a sitting corner and a balcony. We loved the design of the room and bathroom. In the afternoon we received a welcome drink and on the other days, you could serve yourself to thea and/or coffee in the lobby. Breakfast consists of a copious buffet and was very delicious. One minor point, as indeed already mentioned in a lot of the reviews, is the location. We did however not feel unsafe in the area, so it was not a problem for us.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nell2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,573)

Reviewed 16 August 2008

I came here with my boyfriend for a long weekend in July. To sum up my review, while the decor was unusual/neat/attractive, and the furniture of high quality, and beds comfortable, multiple little problems made it not worth the stay. These problems include a broken TV, problems with the bathroom, tub and sink, staff that were less than helpful, and a noisy (and smelly) street.

I liked the decor. The beds are four poster, and very comfortable. Our room--our first room, I should say--was, I think, a standard double, and it came with a small futon-like couch/bed at the foot of the bed. Others have commented on the rooms being small; ours wasn't bad, for a European big-city hotel. That first room faced a fairly quiet courtyard in the back of the hotel, and had a little balcony.

However, there were multiple problems. First, our TV did not work. We had been teaching in Europe for weeks prior to this, with no English-language TV, and we missed it. We returned to the room the first night, hoping to catch a little something, and the TV just wouldn't turn on. We called down to the desk to report the TV, and a very young man came up, fiddled with it a bit, went down and got new batteries for the remote, and finally confirmed that, in fact, it didn't work. He suggested that we could "have a free beer or something" instead. We weren't so happy with this--having paid a lot of money for the room, and having been promised satellite TV, we felt that the staff member should have been a bit more concerned. He seemed actually a little bemused that anyone would care about watching TV while visiting Copenhagen (at least, that's what I read into his attitude). FInally, I had to ask if it might be possible that the next day someone could fix it, and he said sure. However, he didn't offer to pass on this info to someone and make sure it was taken care of. It was up to us to complain again the next day with a new staff member, which we did in the a.m. She promised to have someone look at it. When we returned shortly before dinner time to relax a bit - still no working TV. Another call to the desk, another staff member coming up to confirm that, indeed, it did not turn on. I finally asked if we might be able to switch to a room with a TV that worked (she didn't suggest this herself, or any other alternative, like switching TVs). She somewhat grudgingly agreed to this.

The other problem we had was also discussed in other reviews: there are no shower curtains or doors, and so you must be prepared for everything in the bathroom to get wet. Judging by the pictures online, this will vary a bit depending on the exact layout of the bathroom, but ours was the worst possible. The shower cubicle faced the side of the table with the sink. To the right of the sink was a few inches of horizontal space--the only such space in the bathroom to put any personal items (toiletries, etc.) But if you put anything there, there is simply no way to avoid it getting splashed from the shower. Frankly, I just don't get this design. Is it supposed to be "neat" or "cool" or somehow in keeping with the hotels "organic" theme not to have a curtain or door? To me, it's just plain stupid.

When we switched to a room with a TV, they actually upgraded us to a "junior suite," although this seems to be accidental - the staff member claimed it was the only alternative available. The greater space was nice, but unfortunately we changed to the other side of the hall, which meant facing the street, and this street, at least in July, in the middle of a heat wave when you had to keep the windows open, was NOISY. Other reviewers who talk about the quiet street either were there during the non-tourist season, or were facing the courtyard. Further, this room was HOT. It got late afternoon sun. When we left the room that first day, we prepared for this by leaving the windows open, but the curtains closed to block out the intense light. Unfortunately, when we returned at about 5 after a long hot day of sightseeing, hoping to relax and clean up, the maid had come by and shut the windows and opened all the curtains - so it was baking like an oven. It's hard for me to understand why they would have done this, given the heat (highs were around 85-88 degrees Fahrenheit), and the fact that this was the 4th floor.

This new room had an advantage over the previous one, namely a TUB. This came in handy for cooling off. However, it had its drawbacks, too. First, it is misleading that their descriptions say "bathroom with tub." The tubs are actually in the bedroom, at the foot of the bed. I could see how some might find this romantic and kind of exotic, but I would have preferred being able to relax in privacy. And then there are the little inconveniences, like you need to drag your necessities from the bathroom out into the bedroom - soap, shampoo, towel - because they don't give you separate ones by the tub.

The other problem with the tub was the drain/stopper. This, as well as the one in the sink, worked on a "toggle" - you press it in to close the drain and fill the tub/sink, and you press it again and it pops up, to let the water out. Well, the stopper for the tub is placed so that when you sit in the tub in the only way that you really can you butt is PRECISELY over it, so that as you move around, your posterior causes the drain to pop up and down. This is not particularly comfortable or convenient! In fact, it was so annoying that I took only one bath. The other days, we used the tub to soak our feet after a long day. The sink in the bathroom also had a stopper issue - I washed something out in it, and had major difficulty getting the stopper to come up to drain the water. It kept trying to pop it, but the "toggle" wasn't working. I finally used my nails to get a grip on it and kind of force it up.

This room did have an advantage over the first one - the bathroom was a bit bigger, and the shower stall placed in such a way that the sink area was not in the immediate path of shower spray.

OK, so all this may sound a bit obsessive and nit-picky. But all these little things were quite annoying, and not what I expect of a supposed 4-star hotel. I expect ease and comfort, not lots of little inconveniences, which I could have experienced by spending the weekend back at the little dorm-like place I was working in.

I think the problem with the sink and bathtub are that priority in their design was put on appearance rather than functionality. They are both seemingly like carved-out stones (not sure if they were really stone or not) and quite beautiful. But a beautiful sink/tub isn't worth it if it's not functional. The temperamental stopper in the sink may have been just bad luck, the but placement of the stopper in the tub is just stupid design, plain and simple.

Last but definitely not least, probably the worst thing about this hotel is its location. While it is very central and conveniently located, as others have noted, it is also adjacent to the red light district. I wouldn't even have minded this if it weren't for the fact that men leaving this area constantly used the street as a public urinal, and much of the street had an almost unbearable stench. This didn't change for the entire 4 nights/5 days of our stay (i.e., no street cleaners came by). It was particulary bad right by the hotel entrance - we would actually stand there holding our breath, with our hands over our noses, while we used the key card to open the door as quickly as possible. It seems to me that if you're going to try to put this kind of hotel on a street like this, you'd better do something to try to see to it that the street is taken care of. Are there no police in Copenhagen to patrol the area and tell people to move along? Are there no street cleaners at all? If not, the hotel could even hire employees specifically to hose down the street at least in front of its property.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lilyprof
Reviewed 14 August 2008

This hotel is located five minutes walk from the train station. The area is ok, if not exactly charming. Drug dealing and prostitution was going on day and night on the street just outside the hotel. It was in itself not much of a problem for us, as we saw no reason to feel unsafe.

We got a room on the ground floor facing the street. The room itself was beautiful and clean, with a wonderful bed. This was unfortunately squeaking badly, as the connecting bolts had not been tightened. (Silly problem really, but disturbing none the less.)

The main problem was that our room had no ventilation, so we had no choice but to keep the top windows open at night. At night the street was, as mentioned, busy. The noise was really bad at times. We were woken up several times during the night.

As there is nothing but hotels in this street, we were surprised that the problem had not been addressed one way or the other. This can’t possibly be good for business. Copenhagen is great. We’ll just stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a few days last month. The room was small but clean and comfortable. The breakfast is absolutely wonderful; the staff friendly and helpful. I would definately stay here again. [By the way, I heard no noises from renovations.]

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank summer72
Reviewed 26 June 2008

This was the perfect balance between a B&B and a hotel. The staff was extremely friendly. Food in Northern Europe generally sucks but I was really impressed with this place. The chef was really creative and the meals were full of fresh and organic ingredients. The hotel is located directly behind the Central Station in a "transitional" neighborhood. The internet was fast and had wireless thoughout the hotel including the outdoor lounge area. The rooms are on the small side but bed was extremely comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank carlo226
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Great hotel for those that like an alternative setup from the classc hotel chains!

It started with the a very kind welcoming reception, much friendlier than what is usual at the higher priced big chain hotels. Also: Free welcome drink ;-)

I loved the design: A cozy bed that is built on Bamboo bars that are tied together, a bathroom sink that was carved out of a massive stone, warm lighting. All of this is very nice, and enjoybly different from the standard hotel room design.

A minor drawback was that my room smelled a little like old socks when I arrived. This may be due to the wood design and everything made of natural materials. I'm sure the crew would have done something about it if I had complained.

Important: The hotel is located in a red light district. At night, a street corner next to the hotel is popoulated by hookers. It didn't feel like a dangerous area, but the hotel can not be recommended to families with kids. Also, women travelling alone may feel unconfortable.

Price is appropriate (I paid 127€ for a single room, but was upgraded to double), Copenhagen is pretty expensive overall. But I was on a business trip, so I didn't have to pay.

I definietely recommend this hotel for fellow business travellers that like to feel welcome where they are staying.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank fuffzsch
Reviewed 24 May 2008

I was unfortunately so disappointed with my stay at Axel that I moved after just one night.

I have for a long time been a great fan of the Guldsmeden hotels in Copenhagen, and have always returned to them because of good service, standard and priceworth stays.

I was therefore pleased that Guldsmeden has opened one more hotel in Copenhagen and I booked a room at Axel for my weekend in the Danish capital. I thought that the price was pretty high (2000 DKK which is more than 250 €), but I was convinced that Axel would deliver and that it would be worth it.

When you have a double room for more than 250 €, you expect something above the ordinary. However, this was less than ordinary. The room was small and the bath room was not up to standards (the entire floor was drunk in water after a shower, as an example). The service upon arrival was not particularly pleasant either.

I was also chocked that the hotel charges extra for almost everything, with such a rate. I had to pay for Internet wireless connection, for breakfast (which has always been included at Guldsmeden hotels) and even for using credit card when paying!!! So 2000 Danish kroner is just a starting point - it all sums up to much more if you want to use the hotel!

I was so disappointed when I was looking at my room and knowing what I had to pay, so I decided to leave after one night. I called the reception to let them know. However, as I had booked my room on Internet (just booking, not paying), the receptionist could not make the changes. I therefore had to log on the net myself in order to modify my reservation. I had brought my own PC, but what about customers who want to modify their reservations without having a PC with them???

I quit after one night and found a very nice room at the SAS Radisson which is just around the corner. I will still recommend the two other Guldsmeden hotels (if they are still as they were 1-2 years ago), but not Axel. Sorry, Guldsmeden, you disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo