1,819 results
All reviews eco hotel central station the red light district organic breakfast four poster poster bed small balcony strip club meatpacking district street noise tivoli gardens sitting area lovely room the meat packing district two blocks superior room single room
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I was hesitant to book this hotel based on some other reviews but WOW I am so glad I did!! Everything was absolutely fantastic, from the moment we arrived until the moment we left!! We had a slight hiccup before we arrived where the hotel had inadvertently booked our room a month earlier than our trip.. But this was rectified quickly and the reception staff were aware of this when they arrived. Our room was absolutely beautiful and far exceeded expectations. The bath was amazing too! We used the rental bikes which were great & made it so easy to get around the city. The staff were very friendly. We would definitely return! It's a hotel with a difference & we loved that!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

One of the nicest hotels I have ever been to. Not the fanciest, but the rooms are elegant and comfortable ,the staff is very nice and welcoming, and the breakfast-delicious (however expensive). The location is almost perfect- 5 minutes walk from the Townhall square and the Stroget, 2 minutes walk from the Central station, but relatively quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Uri K
Reviewed 24 February 2014

A busy central city hotel with excellent spar faciltiies and very good service. The decor is organic and recycled but very well done, and the breakfast is highly recommended. Dont be put off by the location, although it is close to the red light district, what little remains of that once famous area is done in very modern scandinavian fashion.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DeeEss23
Reviewed 20 February 2014

They have the aesthetics. It's nice-looking and clean. I won't consider the frankly obnoxious eco-lunacy in my rating, but, God, it was sanctimonious and irritating.

And I could even excuse it's placed near dodgy, curb-crawling characters... And some people like over-warm rooms with no way of turning off the piping (outside the walls) that feed the radiators. The sound-proofing wasn't great, and you couldn't block out the light in the morning.

But my main issue is the sheer meanness. Our stay wasn't cheap, so where was the breakfast included? Where was the free use of at least the sauna or jacuzzi? (Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't expect full free use of the spa, but seriously...) Hey, maybe this is normal for hotels in Copenhagen, but I've stayed in many hotels in many countries, so this was pretty shocking.

Maybe they should concentrate a little less on eco-lunacy and a little more on giving guests, well, what they paid for...

Room Tip: Stay away from the main road...and then you can leave the window open to let the excessive heat out...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Briancloughisgod
AxelCopenhagen, Public Relations Manager at Axel Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Mr. Briancloughisgod ,

Truthfully, we were quite surprised at the aggression in your review, and assume that - unfortunately for all parties involved - you booked a hotel that is contrary to your own priorities and views on what is important in life. The “eco-lunacy”, as you call it, is prevalent throughout all our hotels, and is clearly communicated on our website. We (naturally) do not consider it lunacy, we consider it basic common sense, if we wish decent living conditions for our children and the generations to come. We know that not everyone is of the opinion that eco-friendliness is important, and we do try to communicate it with humor – so we´re a bit confused as to how you could become quite so irritated.

Our hostmanship is the primary cornerstone of our daily life at the hotels, and we truly love giving our guests a great stay – when families with children come to visit, we´re always giving away a free ice cream, sweets, sodas, fruit.. No-one comes into our house without being offered tea, coffee, a glass of wine. Free apples are available in a basket by the front door. There´s nachos, nuts and dried fruit all around for the taking. Everything organic, because this is important to us.

Now, about why not more stuff is free: you probably found out for yourself that Denmark is quite expensive. Food – especially that of a high, organic quality – is expensive, and this is why we decided to let our signature breakfast be an optional extra at our hotels. If we did not do this, we would have to raise the (actually for Copenhagen quite reasonable) room rates, which would be an annoyance for the guests who do not wish to have, or have time for, breakfast at the hotel.

The spa offers free use of all our organic own-brand products, as well as a selection of healthy drinks and snacks, in addition to the basket with special towels, slippers, kimono – so at a one-time fee of 295 DKK for free use of the spa and facilities for the duration of a stay, we feel it is really quite reasonable. It is not realistic to make specific parts of the spa free, and others not – it is all located in the same open area.

Finally: If the room was too warm, we wish you had mentioned it to reception, who would have been happy to send someone up to help you. For sustainability reasons, and being located in a cool climate, we do not have air-conditioning. As for the light in the room, all rooms have double curtains, it seems that unfortunately you did not notice the inner, black-out ones.

All in all, we are sorry for your sake – and ours – that this wasn´t a good match. Fortunately, it doesn´t happen that often, and usually it happens when guests have booked through other channels than the hotel´s own website. We strongly recommend all travellers to not only check review sites and booking sites, but take a look at the hotel´s site as well. It is the best place for us, and our colleagues in the business, to express our priorities, our concept and our personality.

We wish you happy travelling in the future! All the best from the Guldsmeden Hotels.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Axel Guldsmeden is a nice and conveniently located hotel in central Copenhagen. If you’re arriving by train, the hotel is just minutes’ walk away from the central station. The staff is nice and easy to deal with. This would be my second time at the hotel and I was surely hoping to have as fine room treatment as the first time. I decided to book a single superior instead of a standard one, just to make sure I got a good room. When your expectations are high, you are easily disappointed. The room was small, too small for comfort. The bathroom was quite roomy and the shower was a walk-in one, which was nice, but there was practically no water running through the shower head. Not sure if that is by design as this is a “environmentally friendly” hotel, but it didn’t work well for me since I like quick showers. Also, there was an annoying smell of urine in the bathroom. I might stay there again, but I will definitely not book a single room, even if I’m travelling solo.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank joistori

Dear Mr. joistory,

Thank you for your review, and your views on the quality of our single and single superior rooms. Being located in an old building, our rooms are not as standardized as often is the case in hotels, and room/bathroom sizes can vary.
We try to make every room special in its own way, and to highlight its advantages through how it is furnished, in your case with a large bathroom.
However, we would appreciate knowing which room you have stayed in, especially in light of your remark about the smell in the bathroom – also to re-assess this particular room´s category.
It would be so helpful, if you would take the time to contact us about this – you can write att. Mette, our Front Office Manager, to axel@guldsmedenhotels.com, or call +45 3331 3266 and ask for Mette.
Best from all of us at Axel!