“Great convenient location and über comfy beds”

Axel Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights in June 2014. The location is excellent- although, as some commenters have suggested, it's located in an up and coming 'hipster' area, it's no different from Shoreditch in London except perhaps more laid back.. It's about 5 minutes from the station and a few minutes walk from the meat packing district which is fantastic for trendy bars and food, including at least one of Copenhagen's Michelin starred restaurants. If you do stay here, book ahead for places like Fiske market and Pâté Pâté. We'd also recommend Mother's for sourdough pizza.

The hotel rooms themselves are lovely. We were promised a four poster which the king sized bed definitely wasn't and there was no bath, only a power rainforest style shower. The products were lovely (although the pumps didn't work which was irritating). There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room so you have to grab something from the free tea and coffee in the restaurant (lots of flavours and choice except standard tea). The mini bar was full but there was enough space to add some of your own drinks if you wanted to store them. Wifi was fast in the evening but less reliable in the morning.

We didn't have breakfast as thought it was expensive at £20+ each per morning,, Instead we walked 3 minutes to the local supermarket and bakery and bought fresh juices, croissants, pastries and had a picnic style breakfast in bed (much better!). With the free tea, coffee and fruit from reception.

1  Thank BeccaB521
Write a ReviewReviews (1,575)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am very pleased by the wonderful room we have at the Axel Guldsmelden. We splurged on a Double Superior, and it's very spacious for Europe (although my son commented that it's small, he has mostly travelled in the US and we had huge rooms in Ireland also). We have a balcony overlooking a courtyard, although it's a bit chilly to go outside, a huge four-poster bed that fit my whole family (2 adults of medium build and a four year old), and a separate area separated by a half-wall with a sectional sofa, and a desk. There are two TVs, if you care about that sort of thing, and a mini-fridge. The bathroom is generous, with a big stone sink, a large walk-in shower, and a tub. The "towels" take some getting used-to, but I like them (very exfoliating). The shower doesn't have great pressure, but it's a rain-water shower which is nice. My son loved the tub, but I found it a bit small for an adult. Some people complained about the lack of air conditoning. We are here in June and found that the heat is more necessary. If needed, we could open the windows - it is not noisy on this side of the hotel at all. The bed itself is very comfortable, very soft with big white duvets. I had an amazing night's sleep.

As for the hotel itself, I love the decor, with all the Asian touches. It's beautiful in all the common areas of the hotel.

I really like the "eco" thing. It makes me feel good about staying here. Although strangely I can't find a recycling bin in the room, and I'm sure that recycling is as big here as it was in Germany.

Another unexpected feature is the free coffee in the breakfast bar. I really needed that free coffee yesterday when we arrived after flying all night, and it's not bad coffee either. Thank you, Europe, for knowing how to make a decent cup.

I'm afraid we're going to be disappointed by all the other rooms we encounter on this trip after this one.

Room Tip: I followed someone else's tip to get a superior room facing the courtyard, and I'm glad we d...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ShannonSomervilleMA
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Overall, we liked this place --- a decent location, near the train station and Tivoli (although definitely a transitional neighborhood, so be prepared for some sex shops and loud street drunks). We were there with our two children (9 and 13), and the family room (which is just two adjoining rooms, one of which has a set of bunk beds) was one of the best family room options we experienced in Europe, in terms of space for everyone. We liked that the hotel was more of a boutique option than a boring chain, and we do prefer an eco-friendly approach, but this was ridiculous overkill --- trying much too hard to hit you over the head with an announcement of their green-ness, when in fact they are not doing many of the very basic things that you could do to preserve energy and eliminate waste. For example, I would far prefer to have a comfortable towel over the truly unusable, scratchy miserable ones they provide and just not have it (and all the sheets) laundered every day, thus saving a great deal of detergent and water. The soap was also almost painful on our skin. There was no recycling bin in our room, which would be a really easy environmental commitment to make. A lot of the design features that are meant to evoke this sustainable, support-for-developing-nations ethos are also really annoying, so you find your things dropping into the toilet or getting soaked with bath water, or have a very, very hard time rolling your luggage down the hall because of the hardwood floors covered with unstable third-world rugs. I firmly believe that you can be very environmentally friendly without having to suffer, and this hotel is not doing the cause any favors by making it seem otherwise.

One last thing: We were promised an extra bed for the floor for a young relative who was joining us one night. I confirmed it twice by email in advance of our stay, agreed to pay extra for it, and got a confirmation email from them about it the night before, and still it did not happen. We had to keep the children up very late after an already-late arrival while we waited for it to be brought in. They were very apologetic, and overall I think the service is good, but the mistake did happen despite all of the care taken on my end.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is quaintly situated a mere 50 feet from the "Red Light District" of Copenhagen, which is not a bad thing, until you have to walk up the street past countless drunks and over-dosed people. That said, the hotel itself is OK...my room was oddly pathetic for business travel...I mean who puts a single guy in a room with twin bunk-beds? Beyond that, the room has mediocre amenities and the cleanliness could easily be questioned. The one bright spot is the breakfast...great organic food and an all you can eat assortment of hot and cold dishes. I would not recommend this hotel for families...unless you enjoy taking your kids to a strip-club which is conveniently located directly across the street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you like bland chain hotels, where everything is the same no matter where you are in the world, do not stay here. Axel is distinctive, takes its organic credentials seriously, and provides an experience that says 'Denmark'. The rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is full of variety (from spelt croissants, through fresh fruit, unlimited coffee to cheese and meaty stuff:as a veggie I cannot comment on the latter). They have their own brand of toiletries, the towels are organic cotton (and work very well, despite what one or two other reviewers have written) and there is a variety of free hot drinks on offer throughout the day. We've stayed here 4 times in September, November, December and now June and used the Guldesmeden in Aarhus. The staff are unfailingly helpful and informative and the rooms are carefully cleaned and maintained. Because it's so central, ear plugs, for those like me who like to sleep with windows open even in the depths of winter, are a sensible precaution; but the beds are comfortable and the staff will supply non-allergenic pillows. We'll be back here on our next visit.

1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here en-route to Sweden and found it very well located, staff very helpful and the room a good size with interesting decor. Yes the Eco image is over- done and the towels a little harsh etc but overall I would stay here again

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just stayed here for 3 nights, still recovering from dust caused allergic symptoms. Hotel emphasizes sustainability and "ecological " products. We like that ethic, but in practice it meant recycled toilet paper, fast food type napkins, pump shampoos and soaps and bath towels made from recycled cotton that were rougher than dish towels we have at home. We ran out of hot water in the morning shower. There is no room service available, but also no coffee service in the room. I needed to get dressed to go down to the café in lobby to get 2 cups and a pot of coffee to bring back to the room. The bamboo ladder mentioned in another review serves as a towel rack requiring the user to grab and hold the ladder while taking the dishrag towel. This ladder sits right in front of the toilet, so every guest before you has made the same move. How many have washed their hands? Yuk!
Not all was bad, nice staff, decent breakfast and good location. They need to look at the sanitation and do a better job dusting the rooms.

2  Thank smfSeattle