“Great hotel, quiet location and nice breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kong Arthur

Hotel Kong Arthur
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Oslo, Norway
“Great hotel, quiet location and nice breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent a weekend here, and we have already decided that we will stay here again.

The hotel is situated off a main street, so very quiet, and offers good sized rooms and bathrooms. Plenty of choices for breakfast (though the breakfast room was quite small), and a nice area for sitting outside.

Also stoped by the SPA, which was a bit too small for my liking, but offered good value treatments.

Room Tip: A room on one of the higher floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I travel to Copenhagen about 2-3 times a year for the last 3 years on business and I am still trying to find a favorite hotel. For me Kong Arthur was just ok - I stayed there for 5 nights. The hotel is in a good location - about a 20-25 minute walk to the major attractions of Copenhagen. The botanical garden is about 10 minutes away. There is a nice market -Torvehallerne - within 10 minutes. It has upscale food items and an outdoor fruit/vegetable market.

The hotel part of the hotel used to be an orphanage for boys in one of its previous lives. It is located at the end of a small dead end street - so the rooms are fairly quiet. This hotel has several wings to it - I assume they were neighboring buildings that were bought and opened up to the hotel. This hotel prides itself for being environmentally conscious - hence no a/c in the rooms and organic food. There is also a spa in the hotel - which I didn't have time to use.

There are steps going up into the hotel and no one to help with luggage. I have a bad shoulder so it was difficult to get everything up the stairs. Luckily, there was a guy vacuuming as well as another guest who helped me. This is sort of a global thing in Copenhagen - I haven't found a hotel yet that has a bell-person to help with luggage. In fact, I painfully learned that taxi drivers only put the luggage in the car not down any steps. They stand and watch while you struggle with the hotel steps. When in Denmark, I have had to lower my customer service expectations in public places. Workers are nice BUT not necessarily helpful.

When we checked in at the hotel, there was one girl working with scores of people waiting. My company was supposed to make my reservation until Saturday and it wasn't done. The woman at the desk assured me that she would extend the reservation (this was the Saturday before) - which she didn't do. I discovered I didn't have a reservation on Thursday so my company had to call the hotel reservations and make me another reservation BUT the hotel was full on Friday so I had to stay at the sister hotel, Ibsens, which I stayed at before and didn't like. (if interested, you can see my reviews of that hotel...) It was annoying to have to go to another hotel.

I also noticed that the staff was not mindful of who was waiting in line next - they just attended to whoever was the most pushy to get to the front. It would have been better to ask who was next. I had to wait a while just to ask a question because someone pushed their way in front of me. There is luggage storage in the hotel but again none of the staff will help you - the open the door and watch you struggle...

Since this is an old hotel - although it has been comfortably renovated - the rooms are not all the same sizes or shapes. I happened to have gotten the smallest room on my floor - in fact, I don't think I have ever had a room so small anywhere. It was tiny (like 9x9) - no closet just hooks on the wall to hang clothes. No way to change rooms because the hotel was "full". The bathroom had one of those shower is the bathroom layout but at least there was a shower curtain so the rest of the bathroom didn't get wet. There were hardwood floors - which I prefer over carpet. The bed was a double bed and comfortable - not too soft or hard. The room did get stuffy so I had to open the window - there was a sheer and a heavier drape to block out the light. My room faced an inner court yard that happened to be quiet. There weren't a lot of channels in English on the flat screen tv - why is that important? Well, after being in Denmark for two weeks going out to dinner with customers every night, it was nice just to lay on the bed and maybe watch something on tv in English.

The breakfast on Sunday was completely full but on the weekdays there were enough seats. It was a basic breakfast - eggs, bacon, cold cuts, some cheese, yogurt, fruit and breads. They did have strawberry smoothies. Their homemade jams were good. Everything was supposed to be organic and environmentally friendly.

The internet was free and worked ok in my room on the 4th floor. There were a couple of times when I got disconnected and it took some time to get back on.

Bottom line for me was that the hotel was just ok - maybe if I had gotten a better room and I felt better attended to by the front desk, I would consider this my go to hotel when I got to Denmark.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank IntlTrainer
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The original room we had booked in the hotel was small and had a round bed, but was large enough for what we needed it for, except that the wifi connection was almost non existent. After a simple question we were moved to a different and bigger room were the wifi was excellent.

The hotel is ideally located to explore the city. It is close to the less touristy part of the city centre and close to a number of beautiful parks. We also tried 2 of the 3 restaurants that were linked to the hotel, the Spanish one and the sushi place and while a bit more expensive they were excellent.

The hotel staff was very helpful and our stay was enjoyable so we can recommend this hotel a lot.

Room Tip: The oriental spa rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Jan E
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a good situation and is very quiet which is a great plus in a big city. The décoration is cosy eventhough the hotel structure is quite old. Our room was ok, free wifi is appreciated. The bath room was old and would need to be renovated. I find the price expensive for what you get, but it is an expensive city!

• Stayed June 2014
Edgewater, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We spent two nights in the Kong Arthur. It is in a pretty good location near the center of Copenhagen. The staff was very helpful, providing maps, bus advice, luggage storage, etc. The room was modest in size, but very clean and quiet. The price was quite reasonable for this type of accomodation in this city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jesse F
Stine J, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience! I am very happy you had a good stay, and that you got all the help you needed in making your Copenhagen holiday perfect :-) We are always more than happy to give our guests our personal recommendations for the city, so I hope you got to experience exactly what you hoped to :-)

Kind regards,
Stine Jørgensen / Hotel Kong Arthur
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The location of the hotel is accessible to most of the tourist spot in Copenhagen. The hotel is 15 mins walk from Stroget. Staff are very accommodating as they were able to upgrade my dad's room into a junior ensuite upon my arrival. The room has more than enough space for me and my dad. It had a loft where the main double bed was and a receiving room with sofa bed where I slept. The room was kept clean everyday. They have a spa, gym and restaurant which was very convenient for the guests. The staff ie the receptionist are always pleasant and very friendly. Almost cannot fault the hotel apart from some of the plugs in our reception room were not working. Nonetheless, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Maria T
Victoria Point, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We arrived here quite late, about 2230 hours and were met by lovely reception staff who made us most welcome. We were upgraded to a spa room which was just lovely. Everything about this hotel is special we think. They have a lovely spa which we didn't get time to use, but had we longer than two nights I think we would have.
Breakfasts were good. The little bar area is really nice and we spent one evening drinking and chatting with the bar man Chris.
We were travelling on by train to Sweden but there was a train strike, so Alexander at Reception tried to help us sort it out. He also was kind and helpful.
All in all a great experience and we will stay there again.

Room Tip: Spa room was large and quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aileen H
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy you had a nice stay. We have a saying here at the hotel that we want to give our guests a home away from home. It sounds like we succeded in your situation :-) So we cannot wait to welcome you back home, next time you travel all the way to Copenhagen :-)

Best,