“Average Hotel”
Review of Hotel Kong Arthur

Hotel Kong Arthur
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Room was very well maintained and extremely clean but had no air conditioning and so got hot and humid (stayed in July). In the evening you were left with a choice of loud conversations from the street outside the hotel with the window open or having a very hot room with it closed. Might be nicer in the winter.

Breakfasts were good but the selection was limited (especially for hot food) and never changed so after 6 days I was really getting tired of it. WiFi was generally good but on a couple of evenings was so slow as to be unusable for an hour or two.

The hotel in general is very clean and well maintained and the staff are very friendly and professional. If you are staying for a couple of days in the winter (or like heat and humidity!) then I would recommend this hotel but if I were returning to Copenhagen for a week in the summer I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the winter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mallorne
HotelCopenhagen, Gæsteansvarlig at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Mallorne

Thank you for your review. We are glad that your overall experience was good.

We know there have been some problems with the WiFi connection. We have had an investigation of it and we know now that we have too few access points at some locations in the house. We will soon establish more. Actually, we have a really huge fibre-optic broadband, and accordingly nobody ought to experience problems with the internet connection here.

At the moment we have the most wonderful summer and almost a heat wave. The Temperature draws close to 27 degrees in the daytime and between 15 and 20 degrees in the night. This is quite unusual in Denmark and perhaps we should consider installing A/C. But normally temperature seldom exceeds 20 degrees in the daytime. And A/C comes with a very large aber dabei - it contains freon, which is highly damaging to our climate.

We hope to be welcoming you back in the winter (if you gave up summer here)

There are newer reviews for Hotel Kong Arthur

Reviewed 20 July 2014

hoel is well located next to Norreport metrio station. rooms really small..as usual in Copenhagen.
breakfast is great, bakery really fresh, fresh juices and great fresh fruit.
The SPA is nie and wirth a visit

Room Tip: take the spa
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am the colleague and was the roommate of S Barlow (author of blog dated July 16 2014, titled: ”Went to a lot of trouble to secure a room at Kong Arthur”) when we attended a meeting in Copenhagen with an organization that used the Kong Arthur for the occasion. Knowing we would arrive very tired at 6 AM in the morning, we PAID FOR THE NIGHT BEFORE to assure we could check in whenever we arrived. When we arrived at 6 AM, the room that we had secured but not used the NIGHT BEFORE had been given away. As noted already, we were given a tiny, noisy early check in room and transferred to our Jr Suite for our SECOND NIGHT after check in time on the morning of our arrival. This happened despite having had advance assurances that this unusual arrangement was safely in place accompanied by a confirming email. I see that the Guest Services Manager (Marie Thyssen, date July 18, 2014) responded to S. Barlow’s blog report with a patronizing observation that one should not expect early check in. Really? Even when the hotel has accepted full payment for the night before, and also collected on a rental to someone else? The response to our complaint is in itself evidence that the administration there is not very swift or attentive to customer relations.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank LSmithB
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear LSmith

I am very sorry if you found my answer patronizing. As I wrote in my answer to your colleague, I was not sure if I got her right, and I asked her to write to me and explain. She hasn’t written to me so far, but I hoped she would, because we wish to investigate the incident in order to find out where in our organization something went wrong. And in order to do that I need date of stay and your name. So please contact me at mt@arthurhotels.dk.

Anyway I didn’t realize that you actually had booked your room a day before arrival. If you have paid for night before you arrival, we should certainly compensate you. Again, please contact me.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We did have a nice experience in Hotel Kong Arthur. First, we enjoyed the oriental atmosphere of the lobby, the good taste of the decoration and the staff-professionalism. Before our arrival, we got a message with useful information (how to get there from the airport, etc.). We did appreciate.
We reserved a superior room (n° 420) which was confortable (iron, kettle, books) and big enough, well-decorated with modern art. Nothing to complain about the simple and well designed bath-room. We got everything we needed. Congratulations for the breakfast-buffet quality !
Of course, travelling is always an adventure. Of course, when you travel North, you don't check if the room is air-conditionned. May be I should have since we were lucky enough to enjoy heath in Copenhagen... No air-conditioning in this **** hotel (but a fan !) : you have to know. Well, we used natural conditioning and opened the windows to refresh the atmosphere. Fortunately, the patio was very quiet at night. So, we acted like good ecologists.
However, from the ecology point of view, may I suggest a little thing ? Shut down the dozens of lamps in the 4th floor lobby: they waste a lot for nothing and contribute to the high temperature ...

However, may I suggest anything ? I agree with saving energy: but why does the 4th floor lobby waste so much energy with dozens of heavy lamps lightnened all the day long, increasing the temperature ?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Marie-Christine

Thank you so much for your kind review. We think it's really nice that you find our decor is oriental-Nordic in style. We never thought of it that way :-)

You are quite right regarding not to expect A/C when travelling North. This summer we are very lucky - it is the best possible summer weather. A/C would actually be useful right now. We have fans at every room to compensate, and we have to say, 90% of the time in Copenhagen, you don’t need A/C.

Regarding the light in the 4th floor lobby our technical department says:
There is light at the 4th floor lobby due to a legal requirement (fire safety), which says there has to be light at 24/7 and 365 days a year. We cannot overrule that.

Thank you again. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

All the best

Reviewed 16 July 2014

by emailing to make sure the room would be available when we finally arrived at 6 am from the states. I had already paid for the room to ensure that we would be able to rest before meetings. When we arrived the desk clerk said that for some reason (which made no sense to me except to surmise that he had been able to rent it to someone else) our junior suite was not available. I reminded him that I had, on several occasions, contacted the hotel to remind them that although we wouldn't be there for normal check in we would arrive eventually. We were shunted off to a miserably hot, tiny room. Later in the day we were finally settled in the suite, but schlepping suitcases and being tired for the rest of the day was annoying.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 787sallyb
HotelCopenhagen, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kong Arthur, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Sally

We are awfully sorry that you got dissapointed. However, I must remind you that check-in time is 11am. If you arrive earlier, we can store your luggage and sometimes if possible, we can help you with a room, which has already been cleaned.

Our hotels experience a high demand, which is great, of course. But this means that the rooms are not vacant the day before you arrive. Our good house-keepers need time to do their job, and they can’t start before our guests have checked-out.

If I didn’t get you right, you are very welcome to write directly to me (mt@arthurhotels.dk), and we will investigate your complaint further.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked a double room rather than risk booking a 'small double' thank goodness we did. The room was in the roof and snug which wasn't great as it was also extremely hot on sunny days - sleeping in cool conditions is our preference so we didn't appreciate the lack if air conditioning.
The staff were helpful but the service was average & we expected more from a 4 star.
An ok stay but we wouldn't return & have already searched out alternatives

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philippa E
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked a Standard Double Room for my sister and I, 2 nights, not including breakfast on Booking.com. The room itself was big enough, clean, nice. Window faced the street, but it was no problem. Wi-fi was also free and worked fine in the rooms. The only problem was the bathroom. It was large and clean, but the shower portion seemed like it was for handicapped people. There was only a curtain to block off that corner, and the water that was supposed to go down the drain, would run and accumulate in the middle of the floor. The entire floor would be wet once we would be done with our shower. There was also a bathtub, but we didn't use it. Otherwise, it was in a good location and easy to find. Only 1 front desk staff had an attitude problem, she wasn't Danish, perhaps Eastern European. Asking her for direction advice was like pulling teeth.

Room Tip: Standard Double Room was perfect for 2 people, but beware of shower set-up.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family