“Disappointing”

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #27 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is probably the first time I´ve been really disappointed by a hotel. I can´t for the life of me understand how this hotel can be rated #20 in Copenhagen.

To start off the room was tiny and worn out. Yes, European hotel rooms tend to be small but this felt more like a 1 star budget hotel than anything else. Same goes for the bathroom, the toilet wouldn´t even flush completely. Even the toilet paper was of the hard, cheap type! Not to mention the walls - they must have been made out of paper! We could hear everything going on both in our neighbors rooms and in the hallway. And if that wasn´t enough there was some major construction work going on next door and the workers there started as early as 6am, even during the weekend and on a public holiday. I know that this construction probably has got nothing to do with the hotel itself, but a heads up from the staff would have been nice since it was impossible not to be bothered by it. We ended up going to bed super early because we knew what was waiting for us the next morning - not really how you want your vacation to be.

The WiFi is also the worst we have ever encountered at a hotel. Two out of four devices couldn´t connect and the connection on the to devices that did connect was super slow and kept timing out.

But there are however a couple of pros with this hotel.

The location is great. Hovedbanegården (Copenhagen Central Station) and Tivoli is a 5 min walk away, add a couple of more minutes and you´ll be at Strøget. The area around the hotel offers a great deal of nice resturants and bars, and there is also some decent shopping nearby.

The staff in the reception were also welcoming and polite.

The hotel also offers free breakfast. However we opted for brekfast somewhere else to get away from the construction site.

Dispite this I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It may just ruin your stay in Copenhagen!

Room Tip: Avoid room 201 or the hotel in general!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iJulie
ChristianOxlund, Owner at Savoy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear I.Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review although it is not a good one.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt your room is worn out and that it felt like a 1 star budget hotel.
Would you be so kind to send me the room number you had via my e-mail cox@savoyhotel.dk
I will have to have a look at the room to make sure it is up to standard. Also regarding the toilet not being able to flush.

Our toiletpaper is not the most expensive and thickest soft kind, but it is not the cheapest hard type either.

Regarding the wifi, we have had some problems, and for the time being it is working fine. I apologize for the inconvienence you had during your stay.

The construcion site is not the best neighbour to have, and I am glad they stop working by the end of June. They are not allowed to start working before 8.30, so 6 am is much to early.

I am glad about the pros you mention.

I look forward to hear from you, and do hope I am able to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,

Christian

Reviewed 1 June 2014

After reading some good reviews and doing our homework, we settled on this hotel for our Copenhagen vacation. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed.

Negatives:
1.) Service was mediocre. Depending on who is at the desk, you get different service and travel tips. One person in particular was very bad (a red headed young lady), she could have cared less whether you were there or not and at times I felt like we were bothering her. Yes, some desk workers were good but unfortunately too many bad experiences left us not wanting to return.
Also the housekeeper never came to our room. I am not exaggerating. Not once did a housekeeper come clean our room. The first time, no big deal. But by the third day you need more than just clean towels to keep your stay refreshed.

2.) Horrible internet. Yes we are on vacation and I am not here to watch movies. However, having internet is a great tool in order to research your spots/trips during your vacation and also keep in touch with friends/ family. The internet service was very bad and I was constantly asking every morning and night the staff to re-start the server. The internet is supposed to be included but I did not get my money's worth.

3.) Bad sleep. They put us in a room next to construction site. The workers were there at 7 AM pounding with heavy equipment. No chance of changing rooms and we were not happy.

Positives:
1.) Location. Walking distance to Tivoli, close to the main train station, and close to the Hop On/Hop Off bus site.
2.) Breakfast buffet. The buffet they provide is very good and would easily cost you $10-15 US dollars per person.

Bottom line: Cannot recommend this hotel at all and would have rather gone to a different hotel. If you are reading this review, please book your stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lionel86

Dear Lionel86

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about my hotel.
Unfortunately it was not a good one.

I am very sorry to hear that the housekeeper did not come to your room. Would you please send me information about the room number? please send it via my e-mail cox@savoyhotel.dk, so I can talk to the housekeeper about this.

I am sorry to hear about the lack of service you experienced in the reception. It is vital to us that all our guests feel welcome and are happy to come forward for advice.

Our internet connection has not been working properly for a short period, and I assume that was unfortunately during your stay. It is good and stabile for the time being, so it seems to have passed by. We are looking into upgrading the system during the coming months.

Regarding the constructin site next door, I can only apologize on behalf of them. According to the Danish regulations, thay are allowed to start engine work just after 7 am. We do have an agreement with them, stating that they cannot start before 8.30 am. Some of the noise that you can hear in the rooms, it is not possible for us to hear in the reception. Therefore it might not have been obvious for us to go next door and ask them to stop.
The construction is finished in two weeks, by end of June!

I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, and that you enjoyed Copenhagen.

I hope to see you again in the Savoy Hotel, Copenhagen.

Kind regards,

Christian Oxlund

Reviewed 30 May 2014

When you check in, they tell you that the hotel is 100 years old and the rooms are small. They are right on both counts. The rooms are tiny, really tiny. They have a charming little elevator that came with the original building; this in addition to the main elevator. The staff is very helpful, although one desk person didn't seem to know all of the services. Breakfast is the usual for Europe, so no complaints there. We had an early flight, before the dining room opens. The man at the desk called to ask when we would be down to check out so he could have some breakfast food brought for us. We appreciated that at 3:30 a.m. The location is a ten minute walk from the central station, Tivoli Gardens, and the main shopping/dining area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rocky J
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Recently stayed at The Savoy for a long weekend with 5 friends. Firstly it's in a great location, just a 5 minute walk from the station; also easy walking distance of Tivoli, great restaurants and bars, sightseeing buses and the centre of Copenhagen (everything is within easy walking distance!). Between us we had booked 3 rooms of different standards/sizes - my friend and I had booked a small room and it was very small but very clean, well equipped with tv, hairdryer, tea & coffee making facilities, safe, 2 comfy single beds and a small bathroom with shower. The breakfasts were great - continental but a great selection of fresh bread, pastries, cereals, boiled eggs, fruit, cold meats and cheeses, yogurt and various accompaniments. Kept us going to lunchtime! There is also free tea and coffee in the reception with complimentary fruit and Danish pastries. The staff were great and really helpful. Would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again if I'm lucky to visit Copenhagen again.

Room Tip: Worth getting an uograded room if you want some space, but if you just want somewhere to lay your he...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Abijc
Reviewed 28 May 2014

When you are booking a European hotel from the USA, it is a crapshoot! This place is ideal. It is in a trendy section of town and is close to public transportation, great restaurants, museums and Tivoli.
The staff, especially Sarah, were extraordinarily friendly and helpful.
The rooms are small, like a cruise ship cabin, but we didn't care, we were staying there after a transatlantic cruise!
A magnificent coffee/ expresso machine in the lobby and the downstairs breakfast room were fabulous.
The breakfast was included in the price (approx. $145 USD).
Baked goods, salami and cold cuts, bread, cheese, herring, juice, fresh fruit...what more can you ask for?
When I return to Copenhagen, I will stay at the Savoy!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Alphredo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Really liked the hotel, 5 min walk from station - friendly helpful staff, attractive decor around hotel and in rooms - which were very clean and tidy. Fabulous choice of food at breakfast (buffet). Would definitely stay again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Lift to all floors (accept breakfast room).
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I love this hotel and have stayed there both times I traveled to Copenhagen. Very good location, within walking distance to loads of cool sights. Very comfortable, clean, low-key, good price. Great breakfast buffet, which is important because Copenhagen is very expensive. Rooms aren't that big - typical European:) Still, it's a great place to stay and I highly recommend it.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple