“A decent base for exploring Copenhagen”
Review of Saga Hotel

Saga Hotel
Ranked #69 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 28 October 2013

So, you've probably read some of the other reviews already and know that this isn't the Ritz, but what it is, is a half decent base to explore Copenhagen.

The location is perfect. If you step outside the hotel and take 5 steps to the right, you can see the side of Copenhagen Central station 1 block away down the side street. It literally took all of 3 minutes to walk to from the station. It's also really close (less than a 10 minute walk) to Tivoli Gardens and there is a shop directly over the road to buy some supplies.

Just as an aside from the location, it has been mentioned previously about the 'undesirables' which knock about round the station. Yes, there are some scruffy people drinking all day around the side of the station, but with any city, you just need to have your wits about you. They didn't bother us (or seem to be bothering anyone else) while we walked past them.

The hotel itself is a bit tired and could do with a spruce up. It's well publicised that the hotel doesn't have a lift and we were on the top floor but my bag wasn't too heavy so it wasn't a problem for me. The free WiFi also worked well up there. I booked a superior double with private bathroom and I was a little surprised at how basic the room was considering it was supposed to be 'superior'. I'd seen some pictures of double rooms which were much bigger than ours and wrongly presumed that they were the superior rooms. The bed was quite small for a double and wasn't the most comfortable, but it was fine for a couple of nights. It was nice to have our own bathroom which was a good size. Our room overlooked the courtyard at the back of the hotel. Both nights we slept with the window open and had no issue with noise. I will say also, that the hotel was meticulously clean.

A good surprise was the breakfast. It was included in the price of the room and there was LOTS of choice. Cereals, yoghurt, fresh bread, cheese, meats, eggs & pastries.

Didn't really speak to the staff (just because we had no issues) but when checking in and out they were very friendly.

Copenhagen is really expensive so to get 2 nights in a reasonable hotel with breakfast & wifi for £175 (for 2 of us) I thought was great value.

Overall, I had a nice stay here at the SaGa Hotel and would happily come back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Francesca S
There are newer reviews for Saga Hotel

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Came here with 2 friends, we stayed in a triple room for 4 nights (Aug 7th-11th). We chose it because it was a good price (relative to other hotels), central (only a couple minutes walk from the train station), had breakfast included and free wifi. We only had 4 days to cram as much as we could so all we really needed was a bed to sleep in at night (and to stuff ourselves at breakfast, Copenhagen is very expensive). At first I was bothered there were no en suite washrooms but actually it was fine, there is 2 toilets and one shower on the floor and they were usually free when I needed them. I think the only real complaint I have is there is no elevator, walking up 5 flights of stairs with your luggage or after a very tiring day of exploring is not so fun. The doors are very heavy so there is some banging (people who don't care to close them slowly).

Breakfast was good, a selection of fresh breads, jam, cold cuts and cheese, cereal and granola, soft boiled eggs, cucumbers and tomatoes, yogurt and pastries plus juice, coffee and tea. Some fruit would have been nice though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel is a fairly basic 2 star option, it's located two blocks from the central train station and it's relatively affordable for Copenhagen. Granted it's probably not going to win any major plaudits for style or comfort but it did the job for me...I stopped over for a night and it was perfectly adequate for my needs as a single traveller.

The walls are on the thin side, the decor was rather tired and the room I was in was a little musty, however the bed was comfortable and the plentiful buffet-style breakfast was very acceptable. Communal toilet and shower facilities gave the place the feel of a budget hostel but it was better than some of those that I have stayed in previously. It's all reasonably clean and tidy overall and there is a good selection of information leaflets in the reception area...Internet and WiFi are available in all areas also.

Given that the area of Vesterbro is not the most savoury of places after dark visitors are well advised to take normal precautions (as they would in most European capitals). However, with all the major attractions in striking distance and very handy transport links this place is deservedly popular, with accommodation to suit both the 'travellers' and the 'tourists' alike.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Saga Hotel is located right next to the train station and Tivoli Amusement Park. You can't beat the location. The young man who checked me in was friendly and efficient; the gentlemen at the reception who was bigger and bald (like me so bald men are beautiful!) was exceptionally friendly and helpful.
The price per night was under 100€, so for Denmark it was very good. The bed in the room was very small (very Nordic - don't know how they do it as they are big), and after four nights, I was ready for something bigger. The shower/bathroom combination is fine, clean, the soap dispenser full and a change of towels/sheets everyday.
The breakfast buffet surprised me. I expected much less for the price. You have everything: a large selection of breads, pastries, hard boil eggs, yogurt, meats, cheese, etc. Bravo and thanks for not scrimping.
I unfortunately had room 103, near the breakfast area. The rooms are not well sound proof, and you must shut the door hard for it to fully close. I never woke up at night, but before nodding off, I heard my neighbor's footsteps above, the doors in the hallway closing and the morning noise from the breakfast room. If there is one draw-back to this very reasonably priced hotel, this is it.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the breakfast area. Better to have a room on the upper floor and looking out over...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Don't get me wrong...Although during the whole stay of 4 nights, doors keept on be slamming...
I liked my stay there, especialy when traveling on a budget to Scandinavia.
It is A very noisy place (in & out), and you get all the time the feeling the someone will
get into your room...
Rooms are small, but very clean. Breakfast was good for a 2 star (coffee was realy BAD, have teaand get yourself a fine coffee elsewhere).
Liked the centraly location, next to the central train station, although it getts noisy late at night.
Anyway, a good budget choice for CPH. By the way, staff was "so called" nice...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Hotel outside: located quite centrally, but next to train station...which can be an advantage as well as disadvantage. You are close to main transport, but obviously just like everywhere else there are specific people that hang around train stations especially late eve.

Hotel inside: 4 floors and no lift...so you better be fit ;)
Simple "student like" decor, but clean and minimalistic. Hotel offers luggage storage.
Small lobby with computer and free wifi.

Rooms: we stayed in 4bed budget room which was sufficient in size. Small wardrobe, small sink in the room. Toilet and showers shared at the end of the corridor. We were positively surprised how clean this 2 star hotel room was (taking in consideration furniture style). The bathroom and toilet were, as well, kept clean...but since it was shared you also had to be a bit lucky on "clean and thoughtful" people ... and we were.
Small TV in the room with english channels and free wifi. The room was rather warm, but since we prefer warm with open windows, we were happy.

Restaurant:
Breakfast was as well little surprise. The breakfast room was quite busy and we had to wait a bit for our table every morning (but it happens in 5* hotels as well). Again very simple student like decor, but kept clean. The choice of food was large from salty to sweet...pastry, different bread, eggs...fresh veggie, cheeses...just about anything. For two star budget we were very happy and well fed.

Staff: Polite, easygoing...nothing special to highlight - neither to complain about.

Perfect for budget travelers. Not good for children and people who have problems with stairs)

*student like decor = simple a bit outdated furniture more from 70-80.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel advertises as 2 star and really it is no better than that. Staff are willing but the location near the station, the absence of any lift (and the hotel has 5 floors), and the availability of budget dorm rooms all leads to a rather well-used feeling.
Selected a superior room with bathroom ensuite. Bath with no plug and shower over was very poorly designed. Room on the top floor received direct sunlight most of the day which in summer made it impossibly hot, though open windows helped.
Generally the hotel showed signs of needing care and attention.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with stairs, be aware there is no elevator
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo