“central, clean, minimalistic”
Review of Hotel Sct. Thomas

Hotel Sct. Thomas
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I spent two nights in December at this small hotel, only three bus stops from the central railway station (destination Fredriksberg Allé). The location was very good, since the buses (26 + 6A) are connecting different quarters of Copenhagen. The staff was very helpful, the service was good, however no luxury. The interior of the rooms has all bare necessities, including a hair dryer. However, there is no soap nor toiletries to take away, no real cupboard, no water kettle etc. The interior design is typical Danish minimalism - functional but no additional luxury. The mattress of the queen sized bed was comfortable, and the room was very clean.
My room on the 1st floor was to a small court, and thus very quiet, however with view to a gray wall that did not irritate me, since I was in a solemn mood anyway. However, you should book the top floor, if you want a brighter view from your room. Also, for customers with handicap this is not the right hotel - the halls are very narrow, and only 2 people fit in the tiny elevator at a time. Also there are steep steps leading up to the entrance, and from there to the reception.
Since I booked the room at very short notice (I had to attend a funeral in the surroundings of Copenhagen), using TripAdvisor as a guide, I can confirm the positive reviews that I read before the trip. I booked the hotel via hotel.com, and paid € 86 per night, including a good continental breakfast (however, again very minimalistic - (no scrambled eggs, nor bacon, nor rolls or croissants, but good whole-wheat bread, 'Smorrebrod' and toast; tea from teabags, two varieties of cheese, small selection of sausages, cereal, cornflakes, fresh pineapple, grapes and melon, no fruit to take away), thus I considered this to be a good price. The note on the door said that the room was 1700 Danish Kronen per night - an equivalent of € 240 - which I consider much too high a price per night.
The shower (en suite) was OK, with a very small sink - I stayed in a double room which, in my opinion, would be rather tight for two people. Definitely bring your own shampoo (the installed dispenser has only a general 'fit for all' purposes detergent)!
The only real shortcoming was that WLAN was NOT included in the price in the room, and cost 50 Kronen (about € 7) per 24 hours which is untypical for Kopenhagen with many publicly available WLAN locations that are for free.
Book a room on the top floor (4th) !
Thus, for single business travellers who want to be close to the main train station without having the noise and rushed atmosphere, this is an ideal location and a good deal.

Room Tip: book top floor (4th) rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Marion M
Hotel Sct Thoma... H, Gæsteansvarlig at Hotel Sct. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Marion,

We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us.
Thank you for the constructive feed back.

When booking directly through the hotel or on our website, we offer complimentary wireless internet, which is not the case, when booking through third party websites.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel upon you next trip to Copenhagen.

Kind regards
The Team at Hotel Sct Thomas

There are newer reviews for Hotel Sct. Thomas

Reviewed 7 January 2014

we spent a night at Hotel Sct. Thomas just before Christmas 2013. The room was small but comfortable with good shower/toiletfacilities.The breakfast was a great treat! Staff was very helpfull and arranged for us to bring and leave our luggage in a lockerroom at reception.I would certainly go back to Sct.Thomas.

Room Tip: we had a room at the back, quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I loved this hotel. Good location. Great service and nice, the staff was very helpful and extremely friendly. Not luxurious but very good value for money. just before christmas it provided a sensational atmosphere. the breakfast buffet was traditionally scandinavian basic but good. Nice situated just 200 m from one of the most interesting shoppingsareas, vaernedamsvej - and a short walking distance to parkareas and the fun area vesterbro.

Room Tip: Single rooms are a little small but the it depends how much time you want to spent in the hotel. I d...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Sct Thoma... H, Gæsteansvarlig at Hotel Sct. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Rol251,

Wauw, thank you so much for you lovely review of the hotel.
We are thrilled to hear you had a great stay.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel one day.

Kind regards
The Team of Hotel Sct Thomas

Reviewed 2 January 2014

All in all we loved this little hotel. Great service and nice, spacey rooms (double & standard). Not luxurious but very good value for money. It could be because it was the morning after new years eve, but a little improvement could be done on the breakfast buffet, especially the coffee was under suspicion of being a kind of instant coffee. Nice situated just 200 m from one of the most interesting shoppingsareas - and a short walking distance to parkareas and the zoo.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

THE GOOD

Central location- the hotel is well located for Central Copenhagen, shops, eating places of all kinds and public transport. It is an approximate ten minute walk from Copenhagen Central Station, with its regular services to the airport.

Breakfast is adequate but by no means special. It is served until 10 am and consists of a selection of three cereals, a very small choice of fruit, some cheese and bread, two kinds of juice (apple and orange) and either tea or coffee. The breakfast room is in the basement.

There is no restaurant but the area is well served by a wide variety of restaurants.

The hotel is reasonably clean.

There is a reception desk but it is not adequately staffed and you might be waiting in the cold for a while before the one member of staff lets you in. If nobody lets you in there is a phone number written on the door that you can call.

There is free internet

THE BAD

This must have been the most uncomfortable hotel I have ever stayed in.

The hotel is structured around a central staircase with a door to each landing that you have to unlock to get to your room.

I paid for a single room. The room was very very small. It was equipped with a bed that was shorter than I am by a good two inches (I am tall but not a giant). The bed was narrower than an NHS hospital bed.

The bed consisted of a one inch thick bedroll thing on top of an upholstered, sprung base. I've never seen anything like this before, except in a pet shop.

The room was also furnished with a tiny table, a bedside table and a wall hung shelf with a hanger beneath. There was no wardrobe, cupboard or drawers.

The lampshade was nice.

The room was reasonably clean but the carpet had some suspicious looking stains.

The room was so tiny that in order to accommodate the radiator the radiator pipes had been routed through a cleverly constructed, hollow, headboard. I didn't notice this at first but it explains why the room seemed so hot and stuffy during the night.

The room was advertised as having a bathroom. This is something of an overstatement. The 'bathroom' turned out to be an inadequately ventilated plasterboard structure within the room itself. It consisted of a loo, basin with stand and a shower occupying a space the same size as a double wardrobe. The shower enclosure, separated by a curtain, was no more than eighteen inches wide. This meant that I could not close the curtain without it wrapping around my body. The water pressure and temperature were adequate. Some pump soap was provided in a dispenser, which I did not care to sample. The whole structure was so tiny that in order to do a poo I had to sit sideways on the toilet as it was right up against the washstand. The door of the bathroom was slightly rotten around the bottom and some water escaped into the bedroom.

I spent two nights at the hotel. The first night was intolerable as I couldn't get comfortable on the bedroll thingy and I was stupidly hot due to the pipes inside the headboard. I finally got to sleep around 4 am and awoke at 7 with a painfully dry throat and a banging headache.

I complained to the receptionist who said she couldn't provide a better room as this was one of the best single rooms but she could provide a second mattress on top of the original. She was very polite but not at all effective.

The second night was marginally better as I had mastered the art of positioning myself in the tiny bed. My feet stuck off the end so I wore socks to cover them. Under normal circumstances I would have tried placing the mattress on the floor but there wasn't space for that as the room was scarcely wider than the bed and anyway, the floor was damp from the shower-wardrobe. The noise levels were terrible with people using the central staircase and doors banging. There was also a lot of noise from the street.

The following day I went to check out but unfortunately the desk was not open until 11. I left the key with one of the domestic staff assisting in the breakfast room.

I really don't advise that anyone stay in this dreadful place. It is a ripoff. It is a complete mystery how it managed to achieve a three star rating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Furet_Rouge
Hotel Sct Thoma... H, Chef  at Hotel Sct. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Furet_Ruge,

Thank you for your very detailed review regarding your experience with us.

We will take your feed back under consideration.

Best regards
The Management at Hotel Sct Thomas

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We booked a room with two beds for two nights. The room was small and spartan -- certainly not anyplace you'd want to spend any time. The bathroom was worse. It had a tiny sink, no hooks, and absolutely no place other than the floor to sit anything. Service was unsatisfactory. The desk clerk said two sentences to us when we checked in and seemed irrigated whenever we asked questions. The reception are closed very early on Christmas eve and Christmas day, so nobody was available. The hotel website advertises free Internet, but that's only in the lobby and only available when the lobby is open, which it wasn't most of the time during our visit. Many people rave about the breakfast, but other than the quality of the bread, it was no better than the standard budget chain continental breakfast buffet in the U.S. No eggs, other than cold soft boiled ones (Danes seem to like them). No waffles or anything else. Disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Blake,

Yes, the reception had restricted opening hours during your stay, due to the public holidays.

We take great pride in servicing our guests and making them fell at home during their stay. We were therefor were sad and disappointed to hear what you experience in the reception.

When booking directly through the hotel, complimentary wireless internet is provided upon check in.

As for the soft boiled eggs; we Danes sure do like them. :)

Best regards
The Team at Hotel Sct Thomas.

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms where good size. Internet had good speed, though we had to pay for it. Beds were really uncomfortable. The springs were sticking into my back. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. I miss the hot food... alround ok hotel, not too expensive. Friendly personel

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business