“Unbelievable; the most beautiful church I have ever seen”

Grundtvig Church (Grundtvigs Kirke)
Ranked #8 of 396 things to do in Copenhagen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Grundtvigs Church is a bit off the beaten track in Copenhagen (cca 6km from the city centre), but one busride (6A if I remember well) takes you there in 20-25 minutes. It is located in the Bispebjerg district of the city. You can read a lot about it on the internet so I am not going into the details. I knew I was going to see something quite out of the ordinary and I did. From ouside the building, I would say, is interesting, especially the main facade. Walk around it before you go in, the setting itself is worth the time. But once you enter you just stand and gasp for breath. The shapes, proportions, materials (only brick and wood and the metal of the organs' pipes), the colours (various shades of yellow) and the light (shining in through clear glass windows) transports you. So do the workmanship, the unity of the design (by three generations of the Klint family) and the overall clarity and magnificence of it all. It certainly is one (and perhaps the first) outstanding example of modern Danish architecture and design. It decidedly added a lot to the experience that when we visited, on a sunny Saturday morning in early September this year we were all alone there. Then a Japanese family joined us and it was good to see they felt very similar about what they saw and to exchange our impressions. (Just let me add one more remark: later on the day we bumped into them in Frederiksborg Palace, Hillerod and then in Kronborg Castle at Helsingor!) We rounded off the day with a visit to the Round Tower in Co. center. Great day!

5  Thank JP642013
"visit copenhagen"
in 13 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Even though it is not in Central Copenhagen, you have to visit Bispebjerg and it's Grundtvigs Kirke. Not only is it built on the highest point of Copenhagen (Bjerg means mountain and 58m is high in Copenhagen), but also the church has a unique architecture. Best thing about it... I live close to it ;)

1  Thank Joachim W
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The church which was built as a memorial to priest, hymn writer and educator Nikolaj Frederik Severin is a fitting tribute to a man who has done and achieved so much in him chosen vocation.
The church is located in a quiet area off the normal tourist beaten path in Copenhagen. If you love Scandinavian design and architecture, this is a must see.
The humble everyday bricks are put together in dizzying heights and in true Nordic, minimalist yet timeless design. A truly great tribute to represent Danish masonry at its best. Everything about this church: the structure and materials, the window placements, the candelabra, chairs, altar, the symbolism used in the baptismal font, candlesticks, the pipe organ, the model ship all come together as a simple yet strong commitment to their faith thru Danish design.
It was a great indoor/inclement weather venue.

2  Thank JavaMama58
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I had been wanting to visit this church ever since I saw it in a magazine years ago. Words cannot describe the feeling of peace and aw I experienced as I entered it. I cried in front of so much beauty. Try to go early in the morning to avoid the few tourist buses that make a stop there.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Over the years I have been into a great many churches and Cathedrals. Many of the older ones have years of history and stories behind them. Grundtvigs Kirke has something else - a splendour, an elegance and a majesty borne out of the simplicity of its internal design. Its external facade is nothing less than bold. Initially we were facing the wrong way trying to find the church on the other side of the road. When we turned around we were blown away by the enormity of the exterior particularly the tower.
We had trouble finding instructions on how to get there but it is relatively easy. Get the 6a bus from behind the Tourist Information Centre which is across the road and up from the entrance to the Tivoli. Sit at the front of the bus so you can see the bus stops listed on the screen. Get off at Bispebjeg Torv. It's about a thirty minute ride. Walk around the corner to the right about 100 metres and you will see the church down a road. Great spot to take your first photograph. Had my wife not found a picture of this church on Pinterest I would not have bothered visiting. But if you like visiting places like St Paul's Cathedral, Grace Cathedral and St Peter's at the Vatican add this to your list of 'must sees'. Be sure too to pick up a free printed copy of the history of the church which can be found at the entrance.

6  Thank Markvince