“Questionable hygiene and customer service!!”

Jensens Boefhus Raadhuspladsen
Ranked #770 of 2,603 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Reviewed 25 November 2013

After a not so nice experience at this branch of Jensen’s Bofhus, I wrote to their customer service team based in Odense, to ask for an explanation for the poor service and hygiene observation.

The reply from their Operations Manager left me in no doubt that bad leadership from the top is affecting performance where it matters, on the front-line where the money is generated.
The reply fully supported the actions taken by the waiting staff!

You decide

I arrived at this restaurant which looked from the outside, welcoming and clean.

After ordering the drinks, we received warm flat tasteless beers apparently made by a well-known Danish brewery.

After waiting patiently 45 minutes for our food, we noticed guest who arrived after us were already eating. On asking a waitress what had happened to our food, within a minute our food appeared.

Immediately, one could see the food was not hot. Asking the waitress for an explanation she could not provide one but, later suggested they were busy (obviously too busy to serve us but not too busy to serve people who arrived after us.

When she was told the food was cold, the waitress put her fingers on my food and then suggested she would re-heat everything. She also put her hand on my 5-year old son´s food, suggesting the same thing!

The question I put to their customer service was - IF you see a person putting their fingers on your food and then they suggests re-heating it - would YOU eat it? (The Operational manager fully supported the actions taken by the waiting staff).

After refusing the re-heating option, I (we) were offered a new order of the same food.
Having observed a questionable hygiene action by the waitress and having waited so long for your food - would YOU stick around and wait even longer when you are already very hungry? (The Operational manager fully supported the actions taken by the waiting staff)

I was told in no uncertain terms to pay for our drinks if we wanted to leave! (The Operational manager fully supported the actions taken by the waiting staff)

Another hungry visitor to this branch might not experience what I (we) experienced. However, if the action taken in front of me to this dreadfully poor food service is deemed ok by the operations manager, I would be ever more worried what goes on behind the scenes in a kitchen that one cannot see!

I was told all guest are treated equally provided they treat their staff with respect.

I am still waiting for an explanation why I (we) did to deserve unequal treatment –
Especially since all I did was order our food and wait longer than any other guest.
There could be one other obvious possible explanation but, that question I am still waiting a reply to. They know and I know it would be business suicide to admit it!

1  Thank Lucian_Swe

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Good food. Very accommodating staff, we just walked in without reservation. It's just at the center of the city just near our hotel.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

This place is very conveniently located, being a block from both Tivoli Gardens and the main railroad station. The service was fine, the food quite good, the noise lievel barely tolerable (again!). Very busy and obviously popular. Worth a try in any case.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice restaurant with good food, great and fast service. I would recommend their steaks with bernaise.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I would say that we disliked the service, but there really wasn't any, so it's difficult to dislike something that didn't exist. It took three waitpersons to get our wine delivered, and later another 45 minutes just to get the bill. In between, I resorted to get our silverware myself--which was necessary since the steak my wife ordered was so tough she finally gave up on it. To make matters worse, this was our 29th anniversary dinner...