“Great location, average hotel”

The Square Copenhagen
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 16 April 2009

I decided to stay in this hotel mainly for its central location. It's across the street from the City hall and Tivoli Garden which worked out really well for our purpose. The room was very tight, but we are used to the hotels in the States, so that might be why. We had a room on the first floor, which I worried a little bit because I read the reviews here that it's noisy in the lower floors, but the room was in the back of the building, so the noise was not a problem at all.I liked the decorations and the overall square theme of the hotel.

I found the hotel staff to be not so friendly. They weren't rude or anything but not particularly friendly, just doing their job. I liked the big breakfast hall and the food selection at the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2009

The location is very central, as it is located at Town Hall Square. It is 3 minutes walk to the Strøget, Tivoli Garden or the Copenhagen Visitor Centre. There is also a 7-11 and McDonald's on the same block. We hardly took public transport as it was walkable to most attractions. There are also free bikes available through the local government.

The service was better than many 5-star hotels. The front desk was staffed by a young Danish guy at night. He was friendly, courteous, helpful, and spoke perfect American English. He told us that he spoke great English because he watched many American television shows when he was growing up.

The room was minimalist and stylish. We had a room on the side street so it was quiet. Overall it was our favourite hotel during our recent European trip.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank sea2skyaus
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I never have written a review but just found the card while doing paperwork and really wanted to recommend this hotel on the staff's willingness to try to resolve my lost luggage issue. We left out of Miami and none of our luggage (5 pieces) got to Copenhagen when we did. We went 2 days before our cruise so in the next 48 hours little by little our luggage arrived, one piece went missing for the entire cruise. Also the cruise documents did not say which of the ports we were leaving from so the staff again tried to help. They did not know but tried to help with the taxi. Having a phone in that situation was very helpful.
That said it is a great location for getting around, but is very barren and no food, no bar, but the lobby has alot of sitting area and we were able to hang out while trying to resolve our problems. For the price and for sight seeing it was great.

Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank meluv2travel2
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I searched for a bargain and got a promotional rate at The Square -- Copenhagen is an expensive city for hotels! Check their Web site! The room was fine, the staff seemed very friendly... and there were issues. I asked upon check-in if I had a noisy room because it was only on the first floor. The front desk girl said no, no problem. She was flat-out lying. Next time I would not stay unless they put me way up high and away from traffic. It sounded like trucks in the room all night long. Oh well, sometimes that happens.

Waited quite some time to check in while four staff people milled about right in front of me at the front desk. Next morning, saw a member of the front desk staff actually yelling at someone while a lobby full of people watched. The main thing that turned me off was a stench coming from the kitchen.. something has been spilled and is rotting in there and to get your food from the buffet in the am, you had to hold your breath. Two of my colleagues were meeting me for a breakfast meeting. It was distracting.

I do still love a bargain and the location is fabulous! The Indian restaurant next door is great!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and had a great stay each time. Very modern, nice new LCD tv, clean and nice large sized bathrooms (rare in Copenhagen!). The rooms are a little small, but nothing smaller than usual for Europe. Staff are pleasant and helpful.

During my second stay, I arrived several hours before the stated check-in time but was still able to check in. Plus I was even given a room facing the Square, which was much appreciated.

A great choice in Copenhagen!

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 10 February 2009

This hotel is conveniently positioned, within 500k or so of the main train station, on the Town Square, and at the head of the major walkway that wends through central Copenhagen. It is very clean and attractively appointed. The staff was universally helpful, the clientele hip, and the experience close to perfect. This is a very satisfying experience, especially considering the favorable price (we paid $170/night inclusive). Internet is free here, with an Ethernet connection in the rooms and free wi-fi in the lobby. We had moved from the nearby Palace/Le Meridien after a poor experience there.

The hotel lacks extras, like a full bar, restaurant, or gym. There are myriad restaurants and bars in easy walking distance though. This is a great pedestrian city and great for runners. (See running route below.)

We chose an executive room, which was only marginally more expensive than a regular room, but much more spacious. Depending on availability, you have the choice of rooms facing the busy town square (good views, but noisier), rooms on the side facing an office building (peek views, but less noisy) and facing inside (don’t know about those views). You have to choose which you prefer. We chose the room on the office building side and found it fine.

This room layout is quite spacious, as European hotel rooms go, with a couch. There is a plasma TV, pants press, ironing board, refrigerator (stocked with items), small desk, and so on. The bathroom is OK, nothing great, nothing bad. The beds in our room were rather soft and a bit uneven, but quite tolerable. There is no safe in the room.

There are heavy curtains on the windows, but not blackout curtains. As another reviewer mentioned, there is need for gauze curtains in the rooms facing the office building, for daytime privacy. It would also be nice if they had a low night light in the bathroom, as the door is glass and turning on the light at night lights up the entire hotel room.

Breakfast is in a very nice, airy room at the top of the hotel. It was free when we asked if it could be comped, otherwise around $15 or so.

We were very pleased with this hotel.

Tips:

As with all hotel rooms with Ethernet, we recommend bringing your own Apple Airport or similar portable wi-fi, thereby allowing more than one laptop to be used at the same time.

Beneath the hotel is a store called Tiger, which is basically a mini-warehouse store with a wide variety of things from toiletries to electronics to clothing, all at very low prices. If you forgot something, check here. It may be the only real discount store in Copenhagen.

For runners, go left from the hotel on Hans Christian Andersen Boulevard about 750k and you will find extensive running paths surrounding a series of rectangular lakes. Go to the right side of the street and start there and you will have about a 2 mile circumference to run. On the far side, there is an underpass for runners and walkers that avoids crossing the street.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank lifesaver1
Reviewed 21 January 2009

I stayed at The Square in December and then again last night. My second stay represents a vote of confidence.

The hotel is minimalist chic, perhaps Scandinavian in style. The rooms are nice, if a bit small. Nice water pressure in the shower, and the only complaint I have at all with the hotel is that if you take a long shower, the water can leak out of the shower to other parts of the bathroom. Well, I guess one more complaint: there are no washcloths in the bathroom, but this has been the case in the other Danish hotel I stayed at, so it may be cultural.

The location is about 3-5 minutes walk from the train station so it is easy to take a train from the airport to the hotel (two stops, I think). The hotel is right downtown in Town Hall Square near Tivoli Garden. I haven't had time to be a tourist, but it seems like a very nice, accessible, relatively small city and being downtown means it is easy to get to nice restaurants.

Breakfast and wifi come with the room -- both of these make me happy as I am tired of paying 15 dollars or pounds for internet access. The breakfast buffet is on the 6th floor in a bright room (sunny when Copenhagen is not gloomily gray) with views both of the city and of the office building next door. It seems typical of the area -- breads and pastries, cheese, cereal, some fruit, but no scrambled eggs/bacon/sausages etc. that one might find at a Marriott. The staff is young and was uniformly helpful.

Finally, I believe that the price we paid for an advanced purchase was relatively low.

I give it 4 stars rather than 5 because it is very nice but not luxurious. I'll stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank letsmakeadeal