“Not as good as we hoped..”

Copenhagen Backpackers
Wellington, New Zealand
“Not as good as we hoped..”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had high expectations for this hostel after reading good reviews. We stayed 3 nights here. Big letdown was that they told us there is no communal kitchen. What hostels don't have that?! Rooms were OK with canvas sheets hanging over beds for privacy. Bathrooms and showers were OK not 100% clean however. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location is excellent if arriving by train but a little bit of a walk into main areas (20mins to Nyhavn).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chch2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed for 5 nights in a 6 person room. Had a great time. Met some cool people while hanging out in the lounge area. Most of the place settles down by 11, with people going to sleep, but that was fine by me. Rooms were really quiet. Each bed had a privacy curtain, lamp, and a plug. 2 single person bathrooms, never had a real problem getting to use it when I needed it. Three shower stalls, but again, no problem with having to fight a crowd. Breakfast is not included and there is a 45 DKK charge if you want it. It's a good deal for expensive Copenhagen. Choose from fresh homemade bread rolls, jam, cheese, ham, oatmeal, and cornflakes as well as coffee, tea, or juice.

Staff is friendly and helpful. They play good music as well. Cool electronic door fobs are used to get in at any hour.

Location is literally across from the train station so its a great place to stay if you plan on some day trips.

Only con is it's currently cash only (they are waiting for a credit machine that can accept international cards).

I've already recommended this place to other people I have met traveling to Copenhagen. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed in the hostel after my friend's apartment got flooded, and warned reception I'd arrive late. They told me there was a night shift and that they'd leave linen, towel etc. for me. When I arrived just before 1AM there was no reply and the door was locked. I managed to get in when another guest with a key arrived at 2AM. I waited and looked for another 30 minutes or so, but found nobody, and ended up sleeping on the red couch in the hall. I wouldn't recommend the couch. Ended up using only the shower when the morning shift arrived around 8.

The other negative point is the showers, which are more like a slow drizzle, they need to increase the water pressure.

Place is fine, cozy and friendly otherwise. Would recommend for stays arriving at normal times.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank m0th3r
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for Eurovision week in May 2014. I had high hopes for this place as it had a 100% rating on Tripadvisor when I booked, but honestly I was a bit disappointed. Yes the location was perfect (across the road from Central station and close to the city centre) and the common room did have a very cosy atmosphere, but the hostel generally was a little rough around the edges. Firstly, as the other reviews have said, there are only 2 toilets and 3 showers for the entire hostel (including staff). This was also the first hostel I have ever stayed at that has NO KITCHEN! The staff do have a little kitchen but for some reason don't let the guests use it? Copenhagen is already a really expensive city for a backpacker, and having to pay for every cup of tea at the hostel started to get a bit much after a while. Breakfast is nice but it's cheaper to just run down to the 7 Eleven store downstairs and buy your own food. It would also be great if they put some little shelves or something in the showers to put your toiletries.

Apart from this, highlights are the lovely, helpful staff and the curtains around the beds for privacy :) Overall I can't say that CPH Backpackers is a bad hostel, and with a few little changes it could be really great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is a nice small hostel, with lots of character. We stayed in a 12 bed mixed dorm, and the curtains over each bed give added privacy.

There are only two bathrooms for about 40 beds, but it was never a big problem as people are always coming and going.

Not suitable for those with access needs as there are stairs, but otherwise a great location with friendly staff.

I would recommend using the lockers as when we were there, some guests were victims of theft.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Personnelle charming and polite - bed ok and breakfast 'relax' room comfy and intermate. apart from only 2 lu's to 35 beds i highly recommend copenghageb backpackers.Also really convenient being close to central station

Room Tip: yeh - friendly and cosmopolitan
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

When I was stayed in the hostel last day, I found out that my money was stolen, I told to the reception, but they did not take any responsibility for it! They just said' You can go to the police office by yourself.' If my money was stolen on the street, I should go to the police office by myself, but my money was stolen in the hostel! They just said' Here is Denmark.'
When I lived in other country's hostel, they provided safe deposit box, 24 hrs reception and key chip for entry who live in the room. But when I checked in, I found out that the hostel without room entry security, therefore anyone can go inside the room! DO NOT BOOK THIS HOSTEL!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Frances0258
CopenhagenBackpackes, Ejer at Copenhagen Backpackers, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
We are very sorry for your loss of belongings and your bad experience.

We have discussed security issues throughly as well as pros and cons, and decided to establish a quiet and friendly place without cameras and eye scanners everywhere. However our guests have to enter two separate and locked doors to enter our hostel. The doors can only be opened with a unique chip (only guests and staff have chips – lost chips gets deactivated immediately) and we are 24 hours staffed.

At each dorm room we have lockers where you can lock up valuables with a padlock and if needed we have a safe where we can keep your things.

When the unfortunate happens and things get stolen, the procedure in Denmark is to contact the police to have a report made that is mandatory for possible insurance claims. Our staff did help you to get in contact with the police and therefore any ideas to improve our procedures are very welcome.

Once again we are sorry for you bad experience!