“Excellent hospitality”

Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen
Ranked #9 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed for 3 nights at Bertrams on my first trip to CPH. I was very satisfied with the hotel. I booked a double room with garden view and balcony, and it was small but very confortable. Very good wifi in the room and everywhere in the hotel.
Breakfast is charged extra, but it was not only tasty but a good variety as well.
The hotel is located at Vesterbro, which is approximately 1.4Km (1mile) from the train station and tivoli area, but there is a bus stop just ouside the hotel. There are few cafés, bakery and shops around this neighborhood. The hotel hás packages with bikes incuded if you desire.
Andrea and Adam from the front desk were absolutely perfect helping with reservations, directions and suggestions.
A few things to note: it is an old european building, with old charm as well. So don't expect elevators at every floor. There are elevators but in between floors as they were likely added later. Which for me it is not a issue at all, but it might be for some. My advice pack lite, or do some exercise....
Bottomline: charming boutique hotel, good location, all amenities and excellent staff.
if ever in CPH again, will stay at Bertrams.

Room Tip: Ask for garden view, usually is quieter
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bcmitaly
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear bcmitaly

Thank your for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that the efforts of my staff - namely Andrea & Adam - were to your liking.

Your description of our property as well as it's location is precise. I love your advice to other travelers.

Once again thank you, and we look forward to having the opportunity to wish you welcome again.

Wishing you the best for the rest of this summer

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We where recently in Paris and stayed in a very nice small hotel in the center of Paris (with breakfast and complementary wine and snacks in the evening included) for two thirds of the price that we paid for room and breakfast for two in Betrams Hotel Guldsmeden. I acknowledge the fact that the owner Nikolas Hall points out commenting another review ("Copenhagen is an expensive city, and the rate you chose reflected a discount to the daily rates"). However, the difference in price between our Paris and Copenhagen hotels does not make sense. The Betrams Hotel Guldsmeden is definitely a rather nice hotel but nothing very much out of the ordinary. The room we got was on the first floor and was nicely decorated. The toiletries are the hotels own brand and excellent, but the breakfast is not included (it's nice but pricey). Despite Copenhagen being expensive, the room in Betrams Hotel Guldsmeden is definitely not worth the price we paid for it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GothenburgProfessor
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Dear GothenburgProfessor

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

Your positive comments regarding our decór and breakfast are appreciated.

I pleased to read that you acknowledge the high pricing levels in Copenhagen. There are several reasons for this, among others mandatory 25% VAT on everything. I do not know the exact dates of your stay, but your stay could have collided with one of the many congresses that Copenhagen recently held, where the mechanisms of demand & supply play a vital role in pricing. These mechanisms are also applicable for similar situations in cities like Paris - think of the Paris Fashion week.

I hope that your trip to Copenhagen was otherwise pleasant, and that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We were there for a business trip only for one night and everything went very good, the people at the reception very nice and helpful, the rooms are simple but nice (bathrooms are very small tough). The breakfast buffet was very complete and good, globally a very good experience, especially for the price level.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank jclinder
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Dear jclinder

I am pleased to read that despite travelling on business you have taken time to write a review of your stay with us. Knowing the busy schedules business travelers have this is greatly appreciated.

You comments solidify what has also been mentioned by other reviewers, and strengthens our belief in continuing along the path of good old fashioned hospitality.

Once again - thank you - and my staff and I would like to take the opportunity to wish you a pleasant summer.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Review for Bertram's Guldmenden

This is a terrific little hotel.  My wife and I stayed for three nights and enjoyed it.  The facilities are great and the staff go out of their way to be helpful.

The hotel is a 15 minute walk from the train station.  The neighborhood is diverse with many small ethnic restaurants and stores.  It is quite safe.

I try to avoid the "plastic palace" chains.  This is the type of hotel I enjoy most.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank DoctorPaul
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

Dear DoctorPaul

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that we managed to meet your expectations, in terms of ambience, service, location & security.

In a very competitive market it is always useful to distinguish oneself, and have what many describe as a niché product.

Again thank you, and I hope that you are able share memories of Copenhagen - your wife took many photos - with family & friends.

Have a great summer

Nikolas HALL - Owner.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Bertram is an elegant property and Nick the owner can rightfully be proud of his " child"

The care taken comes in doing up the hotel comes out from the minute you step in and look at the common sitting area which reminds you of an upmarket family living room rather than a hotel lobby. It makes you welcome by it's warmth. Step out in the back garden which doubles up as a back yard, smokers corner, a nice pace to relax with a beer after walking the streets of Copenhagen.

The rooms are very tastefully done, though small in size have all eminities that a guest would need. The only missing item was the tea / coffee maker but this they make up with some very good teas served in the common area downstairs.

We stayed here for two days, did not have breakfast as were late coming in the first day and were leaving early for the airport on the day of our check out. However there are many choices on the streets of Copenhagen espicaly the railway station where you can have good Danish, coffee, fruits etc for breakfast.

Nick and his younger brother will advice you well on what to do at Copenhagen if you have not planned the day

In all a very good property we enjoyed the two nights we spend here.

A word of caution the hotel is a 15-20 minute walk from Tivoli Gardens, we did mind this but be prepared

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear SunnyKochhar

Thank you for investing your precious time in posting a review of your recent stay with us.

You, and many others before you understand the warmth and friendliness we set out to achieve with our property. The secret is all about focusing on the small things that really make a difference.

You rightly mention our distance to the Tivoli Gardens, which some find a challenge. Although this is one of the highlights of Copenhagen - it should by no manner be a measuring stock. Our location in residential Copenhagen offers a multitude of other choices.

I am really happy that your European tour ended in Copenhagen, and that we were in a position to ensure that it ended on a positive note.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Based upon other trip advisr reviews we booked this one. While we liked the Bali inspired decor, all looks a bit tired. Frayed fabrics, poorly layer out bathrooms, dingy grouted tiles.

On the other hand, by Copenhagen standards the price was reasonable, management very helpful. Breakfast was nice, though not included, and there's a wonderful pastry shop just a short walk away.

Good location only about a 15-20 minute walk to the Tivoli and the tour office and about a 15 minute taxi ride to the airport.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lcquinn
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Dear Lcquinn

I really appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review of your recent stay with us.

You review highlights a number of positive aspects of your stay with us, and Copenhagen in general.

You do however point out that we are, quote - needing an update. I would like to point out that myself and my staff pride ourselves on maintaining the property at a high level.

You mentioned frayed fabrics, which surprises me as the only fabrics used in the room are towels and bed linnen, which are all in good standing. I would have appreciated if you could have drawn this matter to my attention while staying with us allowing for clarification.

You also mention poorly layer out bathrooms, dingy grouted tiles - both descriptions are ones that I would challenge - but your viewpoint may stand.

Our strong belief in sustainability, entails that the current layout of rooms and bathrooms is based on the buildings original construction and structure.

I am sure that you also appreciate that the current financial climate sets limitations on investments, and having to fund all investments our selves limits the ability to tear down the interior and remodel.

I strongly dislike having to be defensive about my property, but at the same time do respect that other viewpoints do exist.

Wishing you all the best with your on going travels.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

What a great hotel! We took advantage of the 3 night discount offered on TripAdvisor and stayed here while visiting Copenhagen.

The hotel is decorated with taste, the staff is friendly, the breakfast is delicious (good bread, fruits, musli, yoghurt, various teas etc).

Percetly located, possibility to rent bikes. Even the rooms on the street side are quiet (and we are rather picky on this).

Bed was comfortable, bathroom had good smelling shower gel/shampoo/body lotion.

We'll stay here when we return to Copenhagen.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J M
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear J M

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

Your review utilizes few words to sum up what we are about - good old fashioned hospitality.

I am happy to read that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and that your trip to Copenhagen was enjoyable.

Wishing you a pleasant summer.