“Why choose this hotel in Copenhagen? Still wondering…”

Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen
Ranked #11 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Our stay was far to be perfect, but it was globally decent, nothing fancy however for the price. To be fully honest, we‘d rather take the breakfast somewhere else.
On the other hand, the check out was quiet unfriendly. The guy at the reception was quite rude and we got the feeling that it was a problem to check the bill or even to ask a question concerning it. I am far to be familiar with the Denmark currency…
This person told us is the owner and I would definitely hope a calmer person to talk to. It would have been even better that receiving an e-mail back home.
This owner that would soon reply to my review is sadly much more polite when it writes that when it talks!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hand75
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Hand75

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

You discontent with the check out stems from a misunderstanding from your side. After checking out you returned in a disturbed state saying that you were not informed of the credit card fee, applicable for all credit cards. You were informed that credit card charges are applicable. You again stated that this was not the case.

I took the liberty of resending you confirmation, clearly indicating that you were informed of this information.

I apologize that you did familiarize yourself of the terms of your reservation, and if you felt that you were not taken seriously, but your state of mind at that moment did not allow for discussion.

I hope that your trip to Copenhagen was otherwise pleasant.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

A bad start going to the wrong Guldsmeden up the street. But the owners/recpetionists seemed to think their version of irony is fun - without being very funny. Small bedroom - and small bathroom. OK just for me, but a couple woudl be cramped. The hot and cold taps in the showers were mislabelled. Thick duvets but unable to open the window as looked straight over a main street - so too hot - and a four poster bed in a room that size simply meant you could not see the TV.

I decided against the extremely overpriced breakfast - was charged for it nonetheless. Owners quite rude when I asked for it to be refunded (and asked why they hadn;t checked whether I had had it). Even with a refund it meant I lost out with credit card exchange rates.

This was booked for me for a work trip. This is not in a particulraly nice part of the city and there are much better places to stay in Copenhagen.

Room Tip: Higher probably better... and if there are rooms on the non-main road side, also probably better
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear pansymclean

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for the wrong impression that you got of us. Starting by going to the incorrect property is always frustrating.

The room type you were provided with is in accordance with the reservation made, and in accordance to the description on your confirmation.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travellng to Copenhagen again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Copenhagen was most enjoyable.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

The best thing about this hotel is breakfast, a truly wonderful spread of delicious things. 3 types of bread, fruit, yoghurt, smoothies, juice, eggs all of which you help yourself to from a bar area. The least good thing for us was the location. It is on quite a busy main street (ask for a room overlooking the garden) and a good 20 minutes walk from the train station plus another 20 minutes to the part of town we wanted to be in. There are restuarants locally but it was'nt a particularly beautiful part of Copenhagen that you longed to wander around in in the evening. This is not of course the Hotel's fault, the Hotel itself is comfortable, well decorated with helpful staff. Our shower room was minute and just squeezed in a shower, loo and basin, but it had everything you needed. Copenhagen is an expensive city and by its standards Bertram's is very reasonably priced for what you get. It was immaculately clean and unless I was prepared to splurge on a more central hotel would definately stay there again. (there is a bus outside the door but we got bored of waiting for it and walked everywhere)

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Etta007
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Etta007

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am sure that other TripAdvisor users will appreciate the time that you have used.

I am pleased to read that you found your stay amicable. I am however surprised that your review title seems to indicate that we promote ourselves in the - historic center.

Our location in residential Copenhagen is off the beaten tourist path, and as you describe a good 20 minute walk from City Hall square. I am saddened to read that you had not better researched Copenhagen so that you had a better chance of choosing a property closed to the part of town you wanted to be in.

I will though take the liberty of concluding that you enjoyed Copenhagen, despite the distances walked and the expense encountered.

Looking forward to hosting you again, should Copenhagen come on the agenda, and being able to provide you with tips for the local area.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

this is an hotel in a civilized aeria that offers a civilized bedroom and breakfast ( if agreed )
i had booked a front room but was upgraded to a back facing one. it was late ,i was tired i did not cheque the front. until 5 am i enjoyed loud pop music . personaly i did not mind .
it does have a problem with heavy bags that you have to carry between floors as the lift stops between 2 floors. if the small reception is not crowded you might get help ( i did not at 23 pm )
people were not outgoing ,freezing polite .
it was not as expected compared to the photo it promotes.
i would stay again because of the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Gypsoplak

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us.

I have noted 2 points regarding your review, which I would like to address. As you correctly point out, we do have an elevator which stops between floors. Being a limited service property, we do not have a bellboy for the baggage. The desk staff can assist - as you point out - time allowing.

The photos we publish (professional & by other users on this site) in no manner attempt to distort the properties ambience or facilities. Many other users have actually complimented us on the authenticity of our photos - the images present the property as it is.

I am happy to read that you conclude that you will revisit.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights with my wife after spending the week at the Radisson Blu Scandanavia for a business meeting. This was a much, much cozier as I expected from all the reviews. I was the last to check in for the day so I was a bit worried but the garden room I was given was large and very nicely appointed compared to the Radisson. It was off the courtyard which did have some guests in it late into one night we were there - we had privacy but we could hear them out there. The neighborhood around the hotel was ok and the hotel was close enough to the sites to walk. The hotel seems to be set up around environmental sustainability/friendliness. That isn't a big selling point for me but I did appreciate the care and thoughtfulness put into the details of the hotel that came with it. The only negative was that the hotel owner gave us more opinion than we cared for when we asked him what we should see in our one day in Copenhagen. He said "I don't know why people do what they do" referring to the fact that we only left one day in Copenhagen before moving on to other destinations. He still gave us good advice on what to do and was nice overall.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear yellowbass

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to learn that the conclusion of your Copenhagen trip was spent with us. It is a pleasure to know that the services and advice provided entailed that you were able to discover and enjoy Copenhagen.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

The hosts at this hotel were so gracious and helpful! The location was wonderful - we have stayed closer to the city centre in the past and have not enjoyed it nearly as much, the leisurely stroll to Tivoli was lovely and the neighborhood has loads of treasures for shopping, dining , etc.
We stayed here before our cruise and then, after such a pleasant time, decided to stay there our final night in Copenhagen - not to be missed!

• Stayed: August 2013
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Reviewer1497

It was a pleasure to host you not once but twice during you recent visit to Copenhagen. I really appreciate the time you have taken to post a review allowing other TripAdvisor users to gain an insight on our property.

Your review reflects what we are all about - good old fashioned hospitality.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel was wonderful. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, the breakfast was delicious and the staff was very kind. Our room had a really nice bathtub and garden view.

As far as transportation goes: We rented bikes one day, which is a must to try in Copenhagen. All the other days it was easy to walk or travel by bus or train. The bus stop is literally right in front of the hotel (which has a key fob-activated lobby door, so it's actually way safer than most US hotels I've been in). I'd stay here again for sure.

I liked this location because it's within walking distance of the city center (~20 min max), but it's not in the middle of the tourist mess. I live in San Francisco, so I really didn't want to stay in the equivalent of Union Square. This was perfect :D

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Leigh D

It is always a pleasure to read feedback like yours, and as always I appreciate the time you used to inform others of your "find".

You sum up pretty well, what we believe in - good old fashioned hospitality - yet also inform other readers of the advantages of getting away from the beaten path.

Once again, thank you.