“Average hotel with good image” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen

Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen
Ranked #7 of 114 Hotels in Copenhagen
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Average hotel with good image”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I took the hotel room for one night due to conference. It is on a busy street and the bus stop is just by the hotel entrance. The door is for this reason is always locked.
My room was facing street and you could hear the traffic. It was not disturbing me but might be disturbing if trouble with sleeping. Walls to the next room were very thin and you could follow the discussion. This woke me up.
Might consider asking for a room facing the garden (and pay more). The room was very small and somewhat worn out but clean. Bathroom small, but OK. Had to carry the luggage down, no elevator.
The lounge area and breakfast with a small garden is nice. The staff is helpful and friendly.
The room was quite expensive so I expected more. Maybe this hotel, being part of the Guldsmeden brand, has a good image. I found it too highly priced. A lot a restaurants nearby and easy walk to main tourist areas of Copenhagen, but the hotel is a bit off of the main sights. There are better deals in Copenhagen.

Room Tip: Ask rooms from garden side. No elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Satu L

I much appreciate the feedback that you have provided in your review of your recent stay with us.

Your main concern as I read your review was with regarding the rate applied. As you mentioned, you were in Copenhagen for a conference, which placed high demand on the cities limited capacity, which in turn pushed rates up - the mechanisms of demand and supply. We do have periods where very attractive rates are applicable.

I hope that the conference you attended proved successful, and wish you a pleasant summer.

Nikolas HALL - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

i booked bertrams trough secret escapes.i like the stile at the hotel,and i think the staf was very kind and helpful.The room was big and airy and very pretty.The busstop was just outside the door,so it was just 5 min to the city center.but i l enjoyed vesterbo very much.
The brekfast was excellent!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank annec592014
Dear annec592014

Thank you for taking the time to offer us some compliments based on your recent stay with us.

Our location in hip and buzzing Vesterbro is appealing to many, and as you correctly describe, we are off city center.

Thanks for staying, and have a great summer.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We took 4 days, 3 nights to sample Copenhagen while on a 2 week trip to Iceland. The flight from Keflavik to CPH is about 3 hours. The ride in a cab to Bertrams Guldsmeden from the airport is about 45 minutes in traffic, 20 minutes during slow traffic times and cost us about $50 US. You can take the train from the airport for about $6/person, but the walk from the train station to the hotel is about 3/4 mile and we just didn't want to do that dragging our large suitcase. With smaller suitcase(s), time, and a bit more confidence/knowledge, taking the train is by far the cheaper option that we will employ next visit. There are several of these Guldsmeden hotels in Copenhagen, all in great locales from which to explore the city. This particular hotel is about 3/4 mile south of Tivoli Garden - it is a lovely and interesting walk to the center of town. Pros - the hotel is clean, the beds are very comfy, the bathroom shower is fabulously large with great water pressure, and the interior decorations are pretty. We got a room that faced the courtyard so we heard very little street noise and we had a sweet little balcony on which to sit. There was a mini fridge in our room, which was important for me because I have some medication that needs to be refrigerated. There is enough space in the room for the bed, a small desk, and three chairs. The room is small by US standards, but spacious by European measurements. We never heard any of our neighbors, and our room was always cleaned well each day, making our return to the hotel after walking all day a welcome respite. I won't actually call my next comments "cons", but in an effort to keep my promise to myself to be honest in these reviews, I do have some things I found challenging and I want to share info I think any future guest might appreciate knowing in advance. Obviously these things are not so challenging as to reduce my 4 star rating to 3. First, the elevator stops between floors. For example, if your room is on the 3rd floor, you can stop at 4 and walk half a floor down or you can stop on floor 2 and walk half a floor up. Plus the lift is very small. It says it holds 4 people, but that would be without luggage. Actually this was rather charming and always gave us a smile but when carrying bags of any heft it takes some extra effort. Each of the front desk attendants were happy to answer questions and offer advice, but I felt a bit like there was sometimes some inaccurate assumptions made about us by the staff. This is difficult to describe -- it's more of an impression and I'm willing to be wrong. We are middle-aged Americans with close family ties to Europe. We may not look very adventurous, but we are, and when we travel we really want to experience the place we're visiting. I heard one of the attendants describe to some other guests a great place with lots of action to go get something to eat in an outside area and drink a beer. That sounded great to me, but when I asked this same person just a few minutes later about a good place to go, he assumed right off that we were looking for someplace quiet, "knife and fork", wine service, inside and more formal. I guess it rankled me a bit that his assumption was way off. We eventually did find an open area to sit and people watch and drink a beer and it was great. Additionally, I had written an email about two months before our arrival, asking for something "special" be placed in our room for a surprise for my husband's birthday. I told them I didn't care so much what it was (chocolates, souvenirs, etc), just that there be a surprise and I would be willing to reimburse them for up to $50. We exchanged a few emails about it. I offered to send the money in advance or pay once there. The surprise never happened, a gift was not present in the room. There may have been a misunderstanding on their part about what I was requesting, but I felt I communicated clearly. Again, these minor things did not discourage me from enjoying myself thoroughly here, and my recommendation is high. Lastly, I cannot comment on the breakfasts (the breakfast area did look welcoming and lovely) because every night we went to bed so late after exploring the city that we never woke up in time to eat what sounds like a wonderful spread. We had an early flight, and arrangements were made by them to have a cab waiting for us at 5:15 am in front of the hotel. We saw that morning that making prior arrangements was really unnecessary, as the streets were filled with cabs looking for fares, but it was nice to feel that something we'd asked for was followed through upon. The hotel is in a perfectly safe area, was reasonably priced (for an expensive city) and well-run. Copenhagen is a fabulous place to explore by bike, tour bus (hop on, hop off) or by foot. We hope to return many times.

Room Tip: They are a bit more expensive to book, but the rooms that face the courtyard with the nice balconies...
1 Thank AdventuresWithMary
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear AdventuresWithMary

Wow.... I was really pleased with reading your review of your recent stay with us.

Your review does describe with great accuracy our property. I would however like to clarify a little inaccuracy:-
- Taxi's use max 25 minutes from us to / from the airport, and should not cost more than Dkk 300,00. Unfortunately, as in many large cities there are cabbies who take advantage of tourists. The taxi's we order are from a reliable company, and as we order on-line, we can monitor the tour ensuring that a trip to ex. the airport is not over charged. Should we notice irregularities, we contact the company requesting an explanation. Unfortunately we are unable to monitor taxi's to our property, but advise to always receive a receipt, and if in doubt, ask us.

I apologize for the misunderstanding regarding your husbands "surprise" gift. We were actually expecting a final confirmation from you which we did not receive. We have previously assisted others with similar requests without challenge.

Judging exactly what our clients preferences are, can be extremely difficult, and occasionally we have to make assumptions which may differ from the actual unexplained wishes. All too often we are required to recommend a "good" restaurant which is extremely challenging, and leaves room for recommendations that do not always hit the nail on the head.

Finally, I would again like to thank you for providing such a detailed review and hope that you enjoyed Copenhagen as well as seeing family in Iceland.

Have a great summer.

Unidentified
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Owing to various emergencies, we had to reschedule our booking with the hotel a couple of times, but each time the manager was incredibly patient and forgiving -- so we expected the service to be stellar. And it was -- it was also very friendly and warm.

The room we had booked was small but in an intimate, cosy way. The bathroom was tiny with a large standing shower with great water pressure and organic/healthy amenities (soaps, shampoos, and lotion). There was a small balcony off the side of the room. The heating was good, not overdone, but you could always crack open the terrace door for some bracing air if you wanted -- and it was very quiet.

Because we had a long list of cafes we wanted to try out, we didn't opt for the breakfast, but it looked excellent and healthy. Lots of fresh pastries, good variety of breads and cereals, fruits, yogurt, etc.

The location is good -- a 20 minute walk from the train station (you can get a train from the airport). And the restaurants we wanted to try were all within walking distance (albeit sometimes very long walks!).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear asoloist

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us last winter.

I am pleased that we left a lasting memory, entailing that you six months later could post this review.

You sum up what we are all about -- good old fashioned hospitality - in a nice way.

Thanks again, and I wish you a pleasant summer.

London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked Bertrams Guldsmeden based on other reviews on Tripadvisor, and I'm really glad I did. We stayed Tues - Sat during June.

Our stay started off with us arriving past midnight due to a delayed flight from London, however I called once we landed and the owner Nikolas reassured us not to worry and he would wait as long as we needed (reception usually shuts at midnight). Once we arrived Nikolas gave us a great intro to the city, explained where we were relating to central Copenhagen etc, and gave us some recommendations for restaurants. We went to three of these (Granola, Fiskebaren and Le Trois Cochons), and all were excellent.

Our room was better than expected based on some of the reviews on here, I think some rooms are bigger than others. We had garden-side which was lovely and quiet, however had a bath with shower attachment so had to sit down to shower. Would have preferred a shower, but this is a minor complaint.

Breakfast is fresh and delicious - home-made yoghurts, jams, fresh fruit and bread etc.

The hotel isn't the most central - 20 min walk or 5 min bus journey to the central station - but it's really near the meat packing district with lots of cool bars and restaurants.

Overall and excellent stay and I would recommend it to anyone looking to visit Copenhagen.

Room Tip: When booking state preference for garden or road (garden quieter), and also if you'd prefer show...
1 Thank RK2
Dear RK

I was most pleased to read your review, as it sums up the entire line of thought behind our operations.

Not the biggest, not the fanciest, but run on good old fashioned values of hospitality.

The borough of Vesterbro is a gem filled with all sorts of pleasant surprises (the Bertrams included), and is good area to get the real feel of how residents of Copenhagen go about their day.

On the down side - you correctly point out that some rooms are larger than others - with the largest having only tubs (with a hand held shower). Currently I am not in a position to make the desired investment for the bathrooms - but have it on the future agenda.

Have a great summer.

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here two nights with my friend. The atmosphere and the whole style of the hotel were charming. The "spirit"of the old building had been maintained even though there has been enough renovation to make it clean and cosy. The breakfast (all organic) was one of the best ever. Location is good; near everything but not right in the busiest tourist area.

There weren't any gym at the hotel but they had a deal with a good large gym nearby. The price of that was very reasonable.

We rent bicycles from the hotel and had a really fun stay in CPH.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Maijju

My staff and I appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your recent stay with us.

It's been long since we had any comments on the historic building we are in - which is from 1898 - and it was nice to read your review.

As you correctly pointed out, we do not have a gym, but have made a deal with a nearby gym for our guests. Cycling is also one of the best ways to see the city, and we rent bikes.

Marilynn in the kitchen was really pleased to hear your feed back on our organic breakfast buffet.

Thanks again, and have a great summer.

rendsburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Wonderfully warm atmosphere which Danes may call "hyggelig". Stylish rooms with comfortable beds, efficient acoustique isolation even of the front rooms, extremely friendly and helpful staff, free fruit basket at the entrance, homely lounge and breakfast room, quiet candle-lit garden at the back. And: Not to be neglected: Guldsmeden's philosophy based on fairtrade and sustainability principles makes you sleep twice as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank peacethies
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear peacethies

Thank you for staying with us, and I am happy that you want to share this experience with the TripAdvisor community.

I am most pleased to read that you value, and highlighted our focus on sustainable operations, fair trade and organic products - which are all trademarks of Guldsmeden Hotels concept.

I hope that your trip to Copenhagen was otherwise pleasant and wish you all the best for the upcoming summer holidays.