“Really good choice”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Really good choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

In a very convenient location and with lovely comfortable rooms and a great breakfast, I would recommend this hotel to any first time visitor to Copenhagen. Nikolas and the rest of the staff are friendly, very helpful and knowledgable about the area and what to visit. The purchase of a Copenhagen card was a good decision and so we used the public transport extensively. It is a very easy city to get around and everyone is so helpful and friendly to English speaking tourists. Restaurants around the hotel are many and varied and Nikolas was kind enough to do bookings for us.
We had rooms at the back of the hotel which were nice and quiet. The only improvements would be a kettle for making tea and a box of tissues.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are at the back of the hotel and therefore quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear JetLaggedMaureen

It was with pleasure that I read your review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that the advice provided both with regards to dining, and visiting sites in the city we exactly what you seemed. This task is a challenging one, but we do our utmost to narrow it down for you.

Hope you had a safe journey home, and would like to wish you and the family a wonderful summer.

Nikolas HALL - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Lidkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The staff is great and breakfast was really good! The hotel has a small backyard where you can relax with a glass of good wine after you have been all around Copenhagen shopping. The room were not so big but kind of romantic!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Torbjorn12

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

Great to hear that you relaxed with a glass of wine in our garden.

Hope to host you again.

Landskrona, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed at Bertrams with my girlfriend for one night. We had a nice time and we liked the hotel. The breakfast was also great. We asked the staff for sushi restaurants and was very satisfied with the tips that she gave us. I would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mariatheresak10

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am sure that other users of this site will appreciate your input.

Vesterbro does offer a multitude of choices when it comes to dining, and I am pleased that the suggestion made by my staff fulfilled your criteria.

Ljungby, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

This a rare scene in urban Copenhagen. Guldsmeden has the flavor of any beach resort but is placed in the middle part of wonderful vesterbro. We enjoyed the stay and specifically the food and the service. There was a slight problem with the shower drainage giving the impression that the bathroom would flood. But we are not the picky types.
Great location. Great breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear alexstubbe

Thank you for contributing a review of your recent stay with us.

You rightly describe Vesterbro, and we are really happy to be a part of this dynamic borough in Copenhagen. Not everyone's cup of tea... but Vesterbro contributes to Copenhagen's hip status.

I am please to conclude that you enjoyed your stay with - I apologize for the trouble with the shower.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I took the hotel room for one night due to conference. It is on a busy street and the bus stop is just by the hotel entrance. The door is for this reason is always locked.
My room was facing street and you could hear the traffic. It was not disturbing me but might be disturbing if trouble with sleeping. Walls to the next room were very thin and you could follow the discussion. This woke me up.
Might consider asking for a room facing the garden (and pay more). The room was very small and somewhat worn out but clean. Bathroom small, but OK. Had to carry the luggage down, no elevator.
The lounge area and breakfast with a small garden is nice. The staff is helpful and friendly.
The room was quite expensive so I expected more. Maybe this hotel, being part of the Guldsmeden brand, has a good image. I found it too highly priced. A lot a restaurants nearby and easy walk to main tourist areas of Copenhagen, but the hotel is a bit off of the main sights. There are better deals in Copenhagen.

Room Tip: Ask rooms from garden side. No elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Satu L

I much appreciate the feedback that you have provided in your review of your recent stay with us.

Your main concern as I read your review was with regarding the rate applied. As you mentioned, you were in Copenhagen for a conference, which placed high demand on the cities limited capacity, which in turn pushed rates up - the mechanisms of demand and supply. We do have periods where very attractive rates are applicable.

I hope that the conference you attended proved successful, and wish you a pleasant summer.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

i booked bertrams trough secret escapes.i like the stile at the hotel,and i think the staf was very kind and helpful.The room was big and airy and very pretty.The busstop was just outside the door,so it was just 5 min to the city center.but i l enjoyed vesterbo very much.
The brekfast was excellent!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank annec592014
Dear annec592014

Thank you for taking the time to offer us some compliments based on your recent stay with us.

Our location in hip and buzzing Vesterbro is appealing to many, and as you correctly describe, we are off city center.

Thanks for staying, and have a great summer.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We took 4 days, 3 nights to sample Copenhagen while on a 2 week trip to Iceland. The flight from Keflavik to CPH is about 3 hours. The ride in a cab to Bertrams Guldsmeden from the airport is about 45 minutes in traffic, 20 minutes during slow traffic times and cost us about $50 US. You can take the train from the airport for about $6/person, but the walk from the train station to the hotel is about 3/4 mile and we just didn't want to do that dragging our large suitcase. With smaller suitcase(s), time, and a bit more confidence/knowledge, taking the train is by far the cheaper option that we will employ next visit. There are several of these Guldsmeden hotels in Copenhagen, all in great locales from which to explore the city. This particular hotel is about 3/4 mile south of Tivoli Garden - it is a lovely and interesting walk to the center of town. Pros - the hotel is clean, the beds are very comfy, the bathroom shower is fabulously large with great water pressure, and the interior decorations are pretty. We got a room that faced the courtyard so we heard very little street noise and we had a sweet little balcony on which to sit. There was a mini fridge in our room, which was important for me because I have some medication that needs to be refrigerated. There is enough space in the room for the bed, a small desk, and three chairs. The room is small by US standards, but spacious by European measurements. We never heard any of our neighbors, and our room was always cleaned well each day, making our return to the hotel after walking all day a welcome respite. I won't actually call my next comments "cons", but in an effort to keep my promise to myself to be honest in these reviews, I do have some things I found challenging and I want to share info I think any future guest might appreciate knowing in advance. Obviously these things are not so challenging as to reduce my 4 star rating to 3. First, the elevator stops between floors. For example, if your room is on the 3rd floor, you can stop at 4 and walk half a floor down or you can stop on floor 2 and walk half a floor up. Plus the lift is very small. It says it holds 4 people, but that would be without luggage. Actually this was rather charming and always gave us a smile but when carrying bags of any heft it takes some extra effort. Each of the front desk attendants were happy to answer questions and offer advice, but I felt a bit like there was sometimes some inaccurate assumptions made about us by the staff. This is difficult to describe -- it's more of an impression and I'm willing to be wrong. We are middle-aged Americans with close family ties to Europe. We may not look very adventurous, but we are, and when we travel we really want to experience the place we're visiting. I heard one of the attendants describe to some other guests a great place with lots of action to go get something to eat in an outside area and drink a beer. That sounded great to me, but when I asked this same person just a few minutes later about a good place to go, he assumed right off that we were looking for someplace quiet, "knife and fork", wine service, inside and more formal. I guess it rankled me a bit that his assumption was way off. We eventually did find an open area to sit and people watch and drink a beer and it was great. Additionally, I had written an email about two months before our arrival, asking for something "special" be placed in our room for a surprise for my husband's birthday. I told them I didn't care so much what it was (chocolates, souvenirs, etc), just that there be a surprise and I would be willing to reimburse them for up to $50. We exchanged a few emails about it. I offered to send the money in advance or pay once there. The surprise never happened, a gift was not present in the room. There may have been a misunderstanding on their part about what I was requesting, but I felt I communicated clearly. Again, these minor things did not discourage me from enjoying myself thoroughly here, and my recommendation is high. Lastly, I cannot comment on the breakfasts (the breakfast area did look welcoming and lovely) because every night we went to bed so late after exploring the city that we never woke up in time to eat what sounds like a wonderful spread. We had an early flight, and arrangements were made by them to have a cab waiting for us at 5:15 am in front of the hotel. We saw that morning that making prior arrangements was really unnecessary, as the streets were filled with cabs looking for fares, but it was nice to feel that something we'd asked for was followed through upon. The hotel is in a perfectly safe area, was reasonably priced (for an expensive city) and well-run. Copenhagen is a fabulous place to explore by bike, tour bus (hop on, hop off) or by foot. We hope to return many times.

Room Tip: They are a bit more expensive to book, but the rooms that face the courtyard with the nice balconies...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AdventuresWithMary
BHGuld, Owner at Bertrams Guldsmeden - Copenhagen, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear AdventuresWithMary

Wow.... I was really pleased with reading your review of your recent stay with us.

Your review does describe with great accuracy our property. I would however like to clarify a little inaccuracy:-
- Taxi's use max 25 minutes from us to / from the airport, and should not cost more than Dkk 300,00. Unfortunately, as in many large cities there are cabbies who take advantage of tourists. The taxi's we order are from a reliable company, and as we order on-line, we can monitor the tour ensuring that a trip to ex. the airport is not over charged. Should we notice irregularities, we contact the company requesting an explanation. Unfortunately we are unable to monitor taxi's to our property, but advise to always receive a receipt, and if in doubt, ask us.

I apologize for the misunderstanding regarding your husbands "surprise" gift. We were actually expecting a final confirmation from you which we did not receive. We have previously assisted others with similar requests without challenge.

Judging exactly what our clients preferences are, can be extremely difficult, and occasionally we have to make assumptions which may differ from the actual unexplained wishes. All too often we are required to recommend a "good" restaurant which is extremely challenging, and leaves room for recommendations that do not always hit the nail on the head.

Finally, I would again like to thank you for providing such a detailed review and hope that you enjoyed Copenhagen as well as seeing family in Iceland.