“Not up to scratch”

Copenhagen Island Hotel
Ranked #18 of 117 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked this hotel as we were there on the Eurovision weekend and the better priced hotels were all booked. There were 6 of us for three nights in three rooms. This hotel was extremely expensive for what it was offering, the three nights cost me, for room only......... over £1600.00! Now I don't mind paying for a good hotel, providing I get good value. That was not the case for this hotel.

When we arrived, very early we asked if there were any rooms ready, there were not. That's fine but when I asked if they could call or text me when some were ready they said no, we would have to wait in the lobby and they will tell us when they were done. I asked if they could make sure that as we were the first to arrive if they could hold the first rooms that were ready for us, once again no, they would give them to whoever was in the lobby at the time!

When we were eventually given our rooms some four hours later despite requesting two twins and a double, they gave us three doubles. We had to wait a further hour for the twins to become available. This then meant that my children were on the first floor and my wife and I on the top floor, not ideal.

The rooms were dirty, the shower was terrible, it was the over the bath type and was extremely dangerous to get in and out of as there was nothing to hold onto and the bath was very slippery.

The whole hotel was poorly maintained and very shabby. No kettle in the room and the temperature control didn't work in one of them. Also 2 single duvets on double bed, strange.

The restaurant was very expensive with a very limited menu and the service was very poor.

When checking out, they seemed to get very irritated when I asked them to explain the bill, it was very confusing and much more than I expected. It turned out that breakfast was not included in the price and once again was not cheap.

Over all very disappointed with our stay, spent well over £2000.00 for our stay with extremely poor value for money.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jed B
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We are very surprised to read your review as it only seems to contain negative comments. We were fully booked during the Eurovision weekend and therefore it may have been difficult for our reception to fulfil your request for rooms next to each other. If you look at other reviews on Tripadvisor you can see that we normally get very positive comments on our cleaning standards and housekeeping always check if everything is ok in the guest rooms before they are reported “clean” to the reception.
We offer kettles in our executive rooms and junior suites but our guests are more than welcome to ask for a kettle at the reception. In Denmark we provide one duvet per person.
Anne Louise Poulsen, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,312)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

A lot of people comment on the location - which we actually didn't mind that much. The hotel is really close to a great neighborhood (10 minute walk) that's more local than the touristy center. Tivoli is only 15 minutes, and to get to the historic center it's a nice walk along the water.

Staff was very friendly, and I like the minimalist Scandinavian decor. I didn't mind the super soft bed that much, and the room was quiet with one notable exception (below).

My complaints:

- There was a strange creaking/groaning noise that would happen every 10 minutes or so. I think it must be from the plumbing and probably occurred whenever someone flushed the toilet. Kind of annoying to hear all night long.

- The room had a slightly funny odor (something like body odor, probably from unclean ventilation). We adjusted after being in the room, but it was kind of gross to think about.

- The window shades are paper thin and don't fully close; when the sun came up at 5:30 AM it shined right in our eyes. Nothing like getting to bed at 2 AM only to be awoken a few hours later and not being able to sleep well the rest of the morning. I ended up putting a bath towel over my head, which, needless to say, wasn't really all that comfortable.

- There was disgusting black mold all over the caulk in the shower. I find this really unacceptable, as they're clearly not cleaning/maintaining the place as they should be. I've stayed in many hotels and have actually never seen this much mold. Kind of takes away from the whole cool modern hotel look.

So, all this for about EUR 230 a night. Eh. I'm pretty disappointed this place is ranked so highly on Tripadvisor. I'd definitely stay elsewhere next time, as there seem to be a lot of other cool places in CPH.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NYC_ADK83

Thank you for your comments on your hotel stay. We are of course sorry to hear that you did not find your hotel stay satisfactory. If you are not happy with your hotel room, it is very important that you contact the reception.
We are checking for mold in all our bath rooms and this is being done on a regular basis.
We are very sorry that you felt disappointed with your hotel stay. However, we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back another time and that you will be happy to stay here the next time.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I had to stay 15 days and had a pleasant stay, but don't know which system they use, as around 1000 Euros more were deducted from my bank account. When I asked why, got many different answer from reception. Finally the manager confirmed that system has made some mistake and will check on it.
Faced to much of problem because of extra deduction and when asked for compensation, I was straightly said NO.

Will think twice before booking room here again. Only if there is no option left..

Room Tip: Select a road facing room as canal facing is not so good. I stayed at both the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank AK786110
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, but we are sorry that you had to experience problems with the credit card payment, which we apologize.
We hope that this issue has been settled now. We still hope to welcome you back another time.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel is clean and bright & minimalist in design, just like most Scandinavian hotels. It is located on the edge of the city but right beside a shopping mall. Rooms are good sized, with good soundproofing- the only problem was the room was too hot ( temp control knob appeared to be non functioning ) so we were forced to open the windows to allow the cool air in - that's when we realized just how noisy it was outside bec it is located beside a highway & cargo trucks make quite a racket at 3 am every morning! The bed is also super soft & the foam upper seems to be falling off the base. Breakfast is ok (no smoked salmon tho) .

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for choosing us as your destination hotel in Copenhagen. We are sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the air conditioning - we have informed our tecnical department right away.
If you are planning a new visit to Copenhagen, we hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We spent two nights at Copenhagen Island Hotel. We found it very comfortable, clean and we were very impressed by the silence in all places.
It is located next to the S-train station, but renting a bike is the best way to reach every part of the city (16€ per day).
All the people working in the hotel were very nice to us, they gave us information for reaching the beach and also to take train and reach the airport.
Breakfast is really good. You can find internation food (bread, croissant, jam, eggs, fruits coffee and tea, yogurt milk etc.)
The dinner restaurant is very comfortable and they are pleased to serve you what you request even if it is not on the menu.
It is a bit expensive, but food is very good.
Rooms are very very clean and large; bath is clean and with all the stuff for shower.
If I have to find something I did not like, that was the bed.
Pillow and bed are too soft and they move with you as you move during the night.
But that's all I can say from a negative point of view.
Free internet wifii in all the hotel. Good!

We definately suggest this hotel if you want to be comfortable and if you would like to be close to the city centre but not IN the city centre.

Room Tip: You can choose the Allergy Friendly rooms that costs the same but they have parquet floors, so I thi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you very much for all your positive comments on your hotel stay. We do offer to bring a bed board if our guests find the beds to soft. Thank you for trying our restaurant, we really appreciate all your wonderful comments.
We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

A modern hotel, close to a train station (only one station from Copenhagen Central station away) but a bit overprized. It would be okay but there are some things which I didn't like at all.

• The room was really small which means that also the bed was tiny. Worst part: it was too soft, the pillows instead where very hard and high. I couldn’t sleep at all and had some pain in the back the next morning.
• You could also hear your neighbors next door or if someone walked along the floor.
• Expensive breakfast: we didn’t book the breakfast because it was around 30,- US

It’s a nice and clean hotel but I wouldn’t stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristy Z
alp_12, General Manager at Copenhagen Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you did not sleep well in our beds.
All our pillows are brand new and standard Danish size.
If breakfast is not included in your room rate, we charge DKK 150.00 per person per day for breakfast.
We hope to welcome you back Again.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The Copenhagen Island Hotel is located on a 20+ minute walk from the very Copenhagen centre. It is a nice modern and well maintained hotel. Not really cosy, sort of clean. The staff is friendly and service quick and smooth. The rooms are small but nice, well maintained and clean. Modern. The bed is very small! Just too short. However bigger would not fit. The bathroom is comfortable and equiped with all basic facilities you need. Easy to handle shower. The minibar is complete. There is a nice bar and also a nice restaurant. Breakfast is basic and for a cappuccino you will be charged extra. WiFi is available, fast and easy to access. Not ok: the hotel charges extra costs when you pay with a creditcard!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing Copenhagen Island for your hotel stay and thank you for your review. All our beds are 2 metres long. We are glad that you found our staff friendly and that you were happy with room, minibar, wifi and our breakfast buffet. It is correct that we charge a small fee for credit card payments.
Hope to see you at your Next stay in Copenhagen