“great central hotel”
Review of Hotel SP34

Hotel SP34
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 18 June 2014

check in really great,efficient and quick - provided with personalised mini bar selections ( included in rate for room) nice size room 414 on the top floor - great to also have table and chairs ( good if you want to eat/work etc) safe and coffee/tea making facilities, bathrobes, nice bathroom with great products for hair etc...everything you could need really. i loved the design of the hotel and the room.
hotel terrace lovely for afternoon coffee ( price v reasonable) and great for dinner - we shared a double burger from the cocks & cows restaurant downstairs. there is also a tapas restaurant next door which we didn't try. the supermarket over the road also provided everything else needed.
I also enjoyed the reading room on the ground floor with the various design/hotel books whilst drinking the Glass of wine comp the hotel at happy hour - nice touch!!
great walking proximity to central Copenhagen shopping and sights such as the mermaid and palace.
Copenhagen seemed surprisingly very very busy day and night.

Room Tip: pay for a good room and pre advise hotel of your preferences.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here at the end of a trip round Denmark.
We had read the reviews about noise so asked to be put in a quiet room.
We were put in a room at the rear of the hotel on the 3rd floor. As we walked down the corridor we realised one side had not been plastered. It is rather clever because it looks like it has been deliberately but I don't think it has - it has just not been finished.
The room looked out on to the rear of the hotel. There was builder's scaffolding right up to roof level outside our window and 2 skips full of bottles at the ground.
We sought assurances that we would not be disturbed by noise and were told that the builders did not start until 9am. Not so they were there by just after 7.30 when the fire alarm went off and the building was rather half-heartedly evacuated - real issues with health and safety here esp as the only way out was through the builders working area. No-one checked to see if everyone was out and I met a man on the way back who told me he had been in the shower and had not realised the fire alarm was for this building! Staff offered no apology for having to stand in street in pyjamas. Rather they seemed to regard it as a bit of a joke.
Returned to room hoping for some sleep to find builders using electronic equipment on scaffolding right outside room - so close they could not help but peer in. Asked reception twice to ask them to stop. Nothing really happened.
Told builders would knock off at 12 noon on Friday. Not clear who the two chaps were outside the window using electronic equipment at 7pm that evening then when I tried to get some sleep.
No builders over weekend but pretty constant (every 5 mins or so) early evening noise of bottles being dumped in skips by staff.
Breakfast is in a room which is not finished either. Again, it is noisy from builder's work and you if in an alcove you can see light from above because the ceiling is not finished.
No gym yet as not been built. Staff indicated one nearby but you have to pay for that. No suggestion hotel would pay.
Also, on a security issue, after the fire alarm, I asked for another card to get into the room as I had left mine in the room. I couldn't remember the room number and gave the wrong number and my name. Staff did not check and gave me a card to the wrong room full of someone's else stuff! Not great.
Staff generally all smiles but actually not really very helpful. Then again it must be quite demoralising working in what claims to be a luxurious hotel when you are surrounded by building works.

Room Tip: The staff told us the rooms at the rear were the quietest. That said if you want to sleep at all jus...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laseni
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Really helpful staff who were proud of the refurbishment of the hotel.
They knew their wines and were comfortable making sound recommendations.
The hotel was very clean and quality of the breakfast was excellent.
We recognized that work was still going on but that was minor and did not distract from enjoying our stay.We had an older room overlooking the main road so were unable to open the windows on what was a very hot May week. Air con would have been helpful.
Some good local cafes,great location for everything in Central Copenhagen and a 10 min walk to the station.

Room Tip: A room in the new area of the hotel is quieter than the old, which overlooks the main road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2014

New hotel so amenities listed such as fitness not open. Rooftop terrace (actually on the first floor in the back of the hotel) also not yet done and construction noise during the day. No temp control in room. Short walk to Tivoli garden and main shopping street. Near a nice park and canals for a jog.
Higher reviews b/c we had a European breakfast included with fresh warm croissants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Loads of positives:
The location is great!
The room was very nice and we were given a large room, even though we paid for standard.
The windows are great in insulating from the normal noise of the city.
The staff was very polite.

But... When we arrived the hotel was still being refurbished and on our first morning we were woken up at 8 am by drills drilling in the external wall of the building right next to our bed. I don't think you can imagine a worst beginning of holidays. The staff did not worn us the night before or left an apology note after (we did complain).
I think such an experience would leave bad impression on anyone, especially that this is meant to be a 4* hotel. I think the staff has some learning to do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I 've tried to book a room...the worst experience of my life!
Mail sent...no answer.
I've called ....obviously not on the perfect time (employee over busy , lot of noises...).
Finally I did get a reservation but no confirmation.
New emails sent in order to obtain confirmation which finally arrived!
But ...the day after ..I received a new confirmation for other dates!!!!!
I've asked for explanation and obtained a very formal email confirming there has been a booking error and hotel was not available anymore at my dates.
No assistance, no help.
In the meantime I did booked my planes!! This was for a very late arrival (23:00) what would have happend in case I did not catch the second booking confirmation ..arrival at 23:00 to ear there has been a mistake and no room available !!!! Ridiculous!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We checked in only the day after the hotel's opening. There were many inconveniences. For example, although I had booked 2 rooms, there was only 1 last room available upon arrival. I had to share a room with another person (fortunately, we knew each other well enough.) It took about 30 minutes to check in, even though we were the only ones in the lobby. The hotel still charged us for two rooms even though we only got one. They did make up for this by giving us free breakfast. Still.... I wasn't entirely pleased.

Perhaps the hotel is better managed by now. The rooms are clean and contemporary. The only problem I encountered in the guest room is that the window curtains are so thin that you can see what other people are doing, even in the bathroom (especially at night when other rooms' lights were on). So, everytime I had to use the bathroom, I had turned the lights.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family