“Only thing available during the storm”
Review of Hotel Loeven

Hotel Loeven
Ranked #98 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was one of the several unlucky people that got stranded in Copenhagen due to the storm they called Bodil. The airline refused to book a hotel for me, and after calling 15 hotels without any lucky with scoring a room, I finally got a room at the Loeven. The location is great (close to the central station and not too far away from Strøget) but the hotel itself is more of a hostel type of accommodation. At arrival I was asked if I want a rom with its own bathroom and toilet. I cannot remover ever staying at a hotel with a shared bathroom, this was something I have only come across at hostels. At arrival in the room I cannot say I was pleasantly surprised as everything was a bit shabby with cracks in the ceiling and with me having to make my own bed. At that point he only thing I cared about was to get some sleep but in the morning they came knocking at the door already at 10 AM telling me it was checkout time. No breakfast but wifi is included. I would not choose this as my hotel if I was visiting Copenhagen for a holiday. There are much nicer hotels for not much more.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 September 2013

The staff is very unfriendly. They do not seem to try to help.
They charge the full stay before you get to see the room.
We ask to leave and pay for the 1st night (as we didn't get to the room)
They claimed that they can charge us the full stay even though it was against the
room policy. They are cheaters as they do not follow the rules of the fare they charge.
For this reason I would not recommend using their services.
Location is fine.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank FrequenetTraveler882
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a small single room with the private bathroom down the hall. You must make your own bed when you arrive Sheet bedding and pillow provided. The pillow is very lumpy. The hotel has a musty smell to it. Room is completely white. The ceilings the bedding and the walls Although the carpet is blue and I think it is as old as the hotel itself because it is filthy and has holes in it. This place really needs an update My room is probably the size or even smaller than a prison cell. The bathroom is tour three doors down from the room The bathroom is very very small but it is also very very clean You must be careful when taking a shower because the floor gets wet and it is very slippery. When I first arrived the door was locked. I could not get in. So I started knocking on the door. There was a guy that yelled up to reception to buzz me in. The girl at reception said I needed to push the button for the hotel. But there are a lot of buttons there and I did not see the hotel Loven button ever. They have an elevator but it stops in between floors. So when you get off the elevator you have to either talk up a flight of stairs for walk down a flight of stairs to get to your floor. Also it's not that I would have a refrigerator in my room but when I asked about it They said the room was too small so they put a table and a chair in there and there is no room for the refrigerator The location is okay and it is easy to get to from the train station. There were a lot of prostitutes and drug dealers hanging around at night

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank World-wander-woman
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

In fairness this hotel is function able, close to the rail station, and it is kept clean. The thing that was off putting for me was the price. It's quite expensive for what you get.

Also, it would have been nice for reception to warn me of construction outside my window in the early morning. I was awoken at 7 am by loud machinery and yelling workers. This was not very nice considering I actually had time to sleep in as my flight was in the afternoon.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel or hostel has a good location close to the railway station on a lesser shopping street Vesterbrogade, with large family rooms. The free WiFi worked ok even in the far end of the hotel.

Their strategy seems to be "cheap but tidy". Everything is ok and mostly fine but most things could have been done better, e.g. the bathroom in our room was so small that the door rubbed the sink each time it was opened or closed, and the room had its own mini kitchen but no utensils.

The place is somewhere between hostel and a low-end hotel: you make your own beds but you get the linen, most rooms (at least in the 3rd floor) have ensuite bathrooms and soap but then no shampoo. The price reflects this, but remember that Copenhagen is overall very expensive.

There are also regular apartments in the same buildings where the hotel is located (at upper floors), and there was a loud party in one of those apartments on the Friday night. Danish drunken singing, dancing/stumbling with loud steps that made some structures in our room to resonate loudly, etc. The other two nights were very quiet along Stenosgade. Apparently Vesterbrogade side is more noisy. There is also a church next door and the bells ring every morning at 8am.

Their foreign credit card surcharge was 3.75% while it is usually around 2% elsewhere in Denmark.

Room Tip: Rooms 328 and 228 are large five-person family rooms at Stenosgade side. They are next to the churc...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PekkaNikander
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It was a great location for us as we were able to wheel our suitcases from the train station down the street. We could walk to everything from here. The room was fine with a bathroom to ourselves. The common kitchen was handy for making a coffee in the morning

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jlgHuntsville
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Copenhagen is expensive--really expensive (more than Honolulu, New York, and San Francisco). We opted to book a hostel to save at a few hundred USD. We booked it through a Copenhagen site and it was clearly listed as a "rooming house". I can understand people's disappointment if they were expecting a hotel.

Anyway, we thought it was a very good deal and would recommend nit to anyone who asks.

We liked the location and were able to walk to/from train station, Tivoli, and Nyhaun.

The room was clean and the beds comfortable. There was ample room for the three of us. We had a beautiful view of the buildings and church next door.

The church bells are delightful- but are quite loud. Light sleepers be advised! Noise from the street woke us up a few times.

We were on the 2nd floor and Internet was a bit slow.

We did not have the proper electric converters and the receptionist lent us two for our use.

7-11 right across the street. Refrigerator in room.

Bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen. You could take a shower, pee, and brush your teeth simultaneously if you desired!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family