“Pleasant, clean, comfortable hotel full of cow skins.”

Babette Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Babette is a medium sized hotel just north of the city center (and just south of the little mermaid so if you're a tourist you can easily check that item on your to-do list). When we were there it was in the middle of the worst heat of the summer which made it obvious that there were no air conditioning, but as the windows could be opened it was not as bad as it could have been.

The hotel prides itself with being organic, and that may be, but be aware that it does not mean non-animal because large spots, including furniture and the elevator is covered in hairy cow skin. You better not mind animal skin and animal skin smell, or you will not enjoy your stay. Apart from that, the rooms (not the smallest size) were big, comfortable and clean. The beds were among the best I have experienced. I Wish I had something like that at home. We switched rooms after the first night since our first room didn't have a working WiFi and that lack of network points to another thing: The hotel is rather new, just a few months or half a year old, and seems to still be missing a few things like well placed hooks in the bath room, door stops where doors easily slam into walls and thresholds or beams that you can walk into. The "walk into things" part was extra noticeable at the top (fifth) floor which does not have the double height rooms the other floors have. Also, the key system seemed a little broken and the keys had to be reprogrammed several times. No big deal all in all.

The staff was nice and helpful through every question and request and if they read this, maybe there will be hooks and door stops soon as well (forgot to tell them before leaving).

We did not try the restaurant, or the breakfast so no comment on that part.

If you do visit the hotel, try to use the staircase at least once because it's a beautiful and hidden part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Network worked badly at the 5th floor, much better at the 3rd floor. The street outside can be a bit...

Reviewed 5 August 2014

First off, let me just say what amazing customer service Babette has. I had a bit of trouble reserving the room in the beginning, and one email later, I was on the phone with a cheerful bubbly front desk girl helping me finalise my reservation. I booked the standard double room, planning on surprising my boyfriend who was coming in off a 32 hour flight. I was quickly offered the spa for free for the both of us, and since I was part of the friends of the family, I received a 2 for 1 brunch the next morning, (and I was pleasantly surprised to find it included champagne!!) The room was a bit small, but for one evening with my partner it was plenty of space and all we needed. The bed was extremely comfortable, the all organic products felt amazing. I can't say enough good things about Babette! I will be staying here again, in a bigger room, when I return to Copenhagen. Perfectly located for an evening walk in a park, or to the main sights in CPH, and only a 15 minute walk from my favourite burger joint (Halifax).

Room Tip: We were in a room not facing the street, and it was super quiet. If you are staying for a longer pe...
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is outside the crowded downtown, but still not more than 10 minutes walk to Kongens Nytorv. Quiet but small room, without refrigerator and wardrobe to put your stuff. Good beds. Expensive breakfast. Cozy backyard for light meals and drinks. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A bit overpriced. The location is fine, close to Kastellet. 30 minutes walk to the Osloferry. The breakfast, which is not included, is very good, all organic. The bed linen and bath products are also beautiful organic. The staff seemed a bit disorganized, and not really very well informed. But nice. Our room, and bathroom, was really small. I have previously stayed at Guldsmeden hotel Axel which I found better than Babette.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Babette is located in the art gallery district of Copenhagen and outside the touristy areas of Copenhagen though the hotel is well situated for public transport. We loved the location and it enhanced our enjoyment of this interesting city. Many city hotels include in room information on their local area, sites, transport options etc - Hotel Babette does not nor promote the numerous advantages of this area of the city. On first appearance it seemed in the middle of nowhere.

We arrived late at night after taking the train from the airport to the central station and then a taxi to Hotel Babette. I couldn't find any information on the hotel's website about the best way to get to the hotel, this is useful information for an international traveller in a new city. The nearest railway station to Babette (less than 10 minutes walk), Osterport, is serviced by trains from the airport. Why not make this information available to future guests?

It was just as well we stayed for 4 nights because I grew fond of the Hotel Babette though my initial impressions were unfavourable. Our first room (a double) was on the first floor, compact and only lit by 2 dim bedside lamps. It was above the traffic lights on a busy intersection and incredibly noisy. This room is only suitable for the deaf and those who like small dark places. I thought the lack of lighting was taking the organic ethos a step too far. I asked for another room early the next morning and this was organised efficiently by front reception.

What a difference! The next room on the 5th floor was slightly larger, quieter, with a floor lamp, and reading lights attached to the bed head, so much better. The beds are comfortable. The beautiful old style windows, framed a lovely view over church domes. We enjoyed the sanctuary of this room despite some quirks which seems to be Hotel Babette's signature. Do the people who design boutique hotel rooms ever stay in them? Oddly, our in room safe was on the floor near the desk. As is our custom we put passports, laptop etc inside. On our last day we looked more closely at the safe and saw that it was only attached by a cord to the wall and could have been easily removed by anyone! The guy at reception seemed to think this was OK, maybe the Danish are incredibly honest, but there is little point in having an in room safe if its not secure.

Despite adequate lighting over the bathroom sink, the design of the room meant the shower was in a dark cave. We found a light fitting angled to light the shower but no switches turned it on. Reception were contacted again, they sent up a guy who looked and then said they hadn't received the right light globes yet so nothing could be done. Hopefully, management has sourced light globes by now.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but found several cafes near the hotel for our morning coffee. Late afternoon we did have a drink at the bar and enjoyed the company of the young staff who were charming.

Our stay at Hotel Babette was enjoyable and I'd consider staying there again if I was to visit Copenhagen in the future. It has the bones of a good hotel but several elements are missing or executed in such an amateurish fashion that reality and design don't meet.

Room Tip: higher floors 4 and above for a quieter room. It you are above 180cm tall the ceilings on the fifth...
1  Thank Torvie
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were only here for one day and night, before the start of a Baltic cruise. We had never been to Copenhagen, and liked this hotel and loved the city!
The hotel is conveniently located, near the Kastellet (fort and park), and a short walk from the Little Mermaid statue.
We ended up eating mostly at the hotel, since we really enjoyed the food, and also loved the ambience of the restaurant and the décor, as well as the service.
We were in a "mini suite" room and found it to be a little small...mostly due to the strange layout, with a big entrance way and closet area (which was actually quite useful since it enabled us to store our luggage out of the way), and a half wall separating the bed from the sitting area, which chopped up the room too much and made it feel crowded.
However, we had a balcony, and a nice view over the roof tops and to the dome of the church, so that was great.
I was worried about the fact that the hotel had no air conditioning...it was quite warm and sunny when we were there, however, leaving the windows open over night to let in the cool air and closing over the curtains during the day with the fan on kept the room comfortable.
I would still love to know how to turn off the heated floor tiles in the bathroom though! The answer I got when I asked was "good question!" :)
I also loved the linens and towels, and especially the bath products....I ended up buying a couple of the dragon fly face cloths and the shower gel body wash to bring home because it smelled so good!
One minor negative was that the hotel exterior was being painted, so that was a little inconvenient sometimes trying to go in and out of the hotel with all the scaffolding etc, and it also meant that the hotel smelled of paint. But that should be done soon, and it will improve the hotel look. Also, I'm not sure if it was the "recycled" aspect of some of the components, but I found that the room didn't seem to be quite as clean as I would have hoped....the stone tub and sink seemed stained, as did the pipes/taps, but maybe that is because they were old and recycled? The shower head also didn't work too well.....light water pressure and sprays in all directions!
Overall, we really enjoyed our time here, though, and would likely stay here again on our next trip.

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor was quiet, and had a nice view, and the balcony was great.
1  Thank edesem123
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have just returned from a very relaxing stay in Copenhagen. I had no idea that it was such a beautiful city, with so much to see and do. The Babette and its staff hugely contributed to our enjoyment and sense of really being on holiday, rather than just experiencing a city break. Our room was lovely; I'm not sure that the pictures on the website do it justice. Our bathroom had the choice of a bath and shower and the complementary organic toiletries were gorgeous. We decided to pay for breakfast and were delighted that we made this decision; it was excellent and the staff even ordered in gluten free bread for my husband. I tried some too: the best that I've ever tasted, as was the rye bread, which sadly my husband was unable to try. We ate supper at the hotel too and it was equally delicious and all organic..
I've read some reviews that refer to the casualness of the staff; yes, some do appear casual in their dress but that in no way reflects on their professionalism and genuine desire to help. We went to the Louisiana Modern Art Museum after talking to one member of staff; we never would have done so without her advice and had the most amazing day. I've stayed at plenty of hotels where the staff may look extremely smart but have very little interest in their guests;I know which alternative I prefer!
There is construction work going on outside the hotel at the moment and therefore it is a little noisy at the front but you can hardly blame the hotel for this: it is out of their control. We had a front bedroom and I did notice the noise but I expected this- it is a city location after all!