“A useful place to stay in the city centre”
Review of Ascot Apartments

Ascot Apartments
Ranked #59 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
“A useful place to stay in the city centre”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've found that travelling with a 14 month old boy changes your priorities. We were spending a couple of days in Copenhagen and wanted somewhere that was spacious, affordable and central and the Ascot apartments delivered on these.

The apartment was quite spacious, although the bedroom was quite small but we managed to fit in our travel cot and the separate WC meant that we could put our boy down for a sleep and then not have to disturb him until we wanted to go to bed.

The location is excellent, a short walk from the train station and close to Tivoli and there are some grocery shops close by.

There were a few downsides to our stay. To get into the apartments you have to climb a short flight of stairs before you can get to the very small elevator. The apartment did not have black out blinds, so our boy invariably woke up very early, which did give us the chance for 6am walks through the city! We were at the back of the building overlooking the circus, so the room was quiet and we were able to open the windows to cool the apartment.

There were two points though that I found troublesome and that I raised with the staff at the hotel. On one day after coming back to the apartment we found fresh chewing gum stuck to the floor, we presumed that this was left by a member of the house keeping staff. Not very pleasant especially when you have a little boy crawling around on the floor.

We liked the fact that you could order room service through the hotel reception from a number of restaurants. One night we gave this a try and ordered italian food from the menu. Delivery was slow and by the time it arrived the pasta was luke warm at best and starting to congeal on the plate. It also looked as though the plates had been thrown around and so presentation was not good at all. The flavour was very good, but it would have been much better if it had been warm and kept level on the delivery tray. We had also ordered a chocolate taster plate as a dessert, we hadn't realised that it included ice cream which had melted by the time that we received it.

The apartments provide quite spacious living in a great location in the city centre and problems aside we would consider staying here again in the future.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Steve C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Larvik, Norway
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The location of these apartments are great. Everything within a few minutes walk; Train station (Hovedbanegård), groceries, restaurants, Tivoli, Rådhusplassen, Strøget etc.
The apartment was nice. Separate bath and toilet, kitchen corner and separate bed room with an extra bed in the livlig room.
We had an apartment on the 4th floor. This can be complicated if you are travelling with small children and a stroller. The elevator is very small and only have room for one person and a small stroller (at best).
The wi-fi was Free for 1 hour, then had to pay 25DKK for 24 hours. Not a big amount, but still..
The apartment didn't have any air conditioning. It was very hot and we couldn't have the windows open beacuse there was a bar across the street (Pumpehuset) and a very busy road close by. After a couple of days we got a fan from the hotel, all was of course lent.
So for us the real big drawback was the lack of AC as it was very hot. Otherwise the apartment was nice and location great.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the entrance to the hotel and the bar Pumpehuset can be noisy. Rooms on the lover leve...
1 Thank Tourist75
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I had our daughter with us for this weekend and found the apartment ideal for what we wanted. The apartment was well appointed with a full kitchen and you were supplied with all you would need to cook a 3 course meal. There was lots of room and the separate toilet was a good idea. We were able to open all the windows to let in fresh air and the hotel also provided a laundry, which was very handy to us at the time.

2 Thank Jennifer S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We really liked this place. We needed a room for a couple and 1 single friend and this place fit the bill perfectly. The apartment was really big, nicely furnished, sunny, quiet and pleasant. And reasonably priced, too. So much more comfortable for 3 people than just a hotel room or suite. We all agreed we could have stayed a week. The couple took the bedroom and our friend slept on the nice single in the living room. There was a really nice bath off the bedroom and a separate WC and small sink off the entry foyer. Too bad the bath didn't have a toilet, my only complaint. Very friendly and helpful staff, and excellent breakfast in a big, pretty dining room. Good location a short walk from the station and many city sights. They even have bikes you can borrow. This place was a hit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I am surprised at the negative reviews. This is not a four star property, but the apartments are spacious and you cannot beat the location. It was not luxurious but clean and everything worked and there was a good amount of space. There were two bathrooms but only one toilet, which was a bit annoying. The kitchen was well equipped. The one-hour wifi limit per device per 24 hours was annoying but it is not hard to work around. I thought it was a great value given that Copenhagen is an expensive city and we got lots of space right in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Tivoli side is better. Penthouse is best.
2 Thank friedman29
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Booked and paid in advance for a 'penthouse' apartment, ended up with 2 small rooms that looked nothing like the photos on their website. Although the booking company did contact the hotel and gave us the option to change rooms, we had already slept there for 2 nights. You should get what you paid for in the first instance. If we had known what room we were actually going to get then we wouldn't have booked it.

Block out curtains on all windows are needed, particularly in summer as the sun comes up around 4:30 in the morning and it doesn't get dark until 11:00. The small window in the bedroom only had a light Venetian blind so we ended up putting our hand luggage and curtains in it to fill the gap.

Reception staff on arrival not helpful or friendly at all, certainly not welcoming after a 22 hour flight. Left our bags in the luggage room (down the stairs) and walked Copenhagen until our allotted check in time. Housekeeping came daily but didn't change sheets at all in the 4 nights we stayed there (not sure if this is normal).

Location is good, close to Tivoli, walking distance to town and quite a few restaurants in the area. Supermarket was a 5 minute walk away and had what we needed as there was no coffee, tea or sugar in the kitchenette.

We were able to get late check out - 400DKK extra. 1 hour free wifi daily, then you pay extra.

Returning to Copenhagen at the end of this month but definitely WON'T be staying here!

Room Tip: We had room 666 (that should have given us a hint) so avoid that one and probably anything from 660...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Solitafrank

Travellers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We had stayed at the ascot hotel before so when I next stayed here with my family we decided to get an apartment. What a mistake!
They obviously get away with their central location being the reason why they can dismiss any complaints people have.
I booked a two bedroom apartment for my parents, requested a cot ( which wasn't set up for us) and for my husband and I to stay 3 nights... We got in our run down room with an old double bed and a fold out couch! Yep a fold out couch is what they think is ok to sell for $400 per night! And we were told we were actually 'upgraded'.
So I thought I'd go down and speak to the front desk about it. They argued with me for around 15 mins, told me I got what I paid for and then when I asked to speak to the manager she continued to argue with me for another 10! I suggested that I look at other rooms and make a compromise and she reluctantly agreed. Awful and unnerving experience after 24hr flight from Australia... All I wanted was a shower!
We ended up taking a bigger room, as I just didn't want to fight with them any more. It was bigger but so dated and stank of cigarettes. Urghhhh.
I would've asked for my money back but we booked on bookings.com so couldn't do this.
Copenhagen is such a cool city so this hotel is not worth going to or paying for. Shame they were so good 3 years before! Needs new management badly!!!!!

Stayed June 2014