“Once in a lifetime”
Review of Noma - CLOSED

Noma
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Danish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, View, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Christianshavn
“Once in a lifetime”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Incredible food, very good service. We had high expectations to eat in the #1 restaurant. We were not disappointed. We started of with a great series of small dishes, one more incredible in taste than the other. This was complemented by the great service, which was not formal at all. If you like food and can get a reservation this will bring you a totally new experience.

Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We are two couples that search extraordinary quality culinary performances, and we often make travels for this reason. We made a request to Noma several months ago, and when we finally received a confirmed booking we made a travel to Copenhagen only for visiting Noma.

The meal was a very disappointing experience. An endless row of vegetable dishes, in a variety of colors and creative settings. But no real food whatsoever. We were delivered reindeer moss, one mini piece of cauliflower, one single gooseberry, a tiny piece of beetroot, a raw shrimp (disgusting), and many many other mini dishes. Not a single one particularly tasty or delicious, indifferent at the most, but generally very unappetizing. Every plate was a piece of art to be photographed, decorated with grass, hay, sprigs of spruce, stone pebbles, block of ice, etc. But there were absolutely no dish out of the 20 we would like to sample again.

After all these countless vegetable artwork experiments, we looked forward to the real taste experience of the real menu. It just never happened, there was no real menu. Real food was absolutely nonexisting. And the wine was less than average. One of the wines was definitely destroyed, with a significant unpleasant cork smell and taste. But the waiter denied arrogantly to check, as – “I know this wine is perfect, I don’t have to taste it.”

The only dish served that could remotely be related to food, was a few thin slices of duck. Hardly a mouthful. And that was all !

When coffee was served, we had to look for candid camera. It had to be a joke, the taste was unbelievably horrifying.

As a food art museum, Noma was interesting. But as a gourmet restaurant, it was a tragic disaster.

During the “meal” we went mentally through several phases. First expectation, then disbelief, then irritation, and finally we were all laughing. And we were still laughing when we visited a hot dog stand afterwards, necessary as we of course were starving after this vegetarian nonfood ordeal at Noma. Would never ever eat at Noma again, even if it was free. And we recommend anyone else to keep clear.

We have eaten in some of the best restaurants in several countries, with many good memories and various experiences. Noma however, was a joke and it just left us laughing.

The food and the wine was totally unacceptable. This came in at 1.500 Euro for four persons, which of course is plain robbery.

For those Michelin inspectors and other opinionated wiseacres giving Noma high rates, not honest enough to call a spade a spade, I would recommend to read the short tale by Danish writer H.C.Andersen : “The Emperor’s New Clothes”.

Ever been had ?

Ø.T. , Norway

64 Thank OivindTh
Seattle, Washington
“Nonpareil entertainment”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

There are innumerable restaurants where one can eat great food, well prepared and well presented with good service, and true to "local ingredients." But nowhere I have eaten in my 60 years can match the combination of culinary inventiveness and outstanding and entertaining service by a well-trained and informed and very international staff (who outnumbered the diners in the restaurant) at Noma. I may be biased in that I was there with my family, reuniting with and celebrating our daughter's 21st birthday, but until that evening, I cannot have imagined walking out of ANY restaurant having dropped $2400 US (for 4) and saying "that was worth it." PS - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the paired fruit juices (arguably better IMO than the paired wines).

• Visited December 2013
“An experience, oh yes...but was the food great? You decide”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I've struggled with the rating on this one. I've given it 5 stars as I had a magical evening and have never experienced anything like it. We were there five hours and never noticed the time. I can however, understand the negative reviews: I think it is very personal whether you like what you get.
We were on a reserve list and were emailed the week before to suggest we had a place at the communal table. This was upstairs and we were led through the restaurant, outside and up some stairs to a table for 18 in a room. We were greeted like royalty by all staff and the service was excellent.
Sharing a table for us enhanced the experience. Don't expect an intimate meal as you will be interacting with your neighbours.
The food gave me tastes I have never had before. What they do is unique and their presentation is stunning. I am a fussy vegetarian and mushroom-hating but this did not prove a problem to them, I was brought an identical meal with the meat swapped for a decent alternative. Some dishes I loved, some I would not wish to eat again but all gave me a new experience and were things I would never see elsewhere.
The wines were again,something very different and kept coming. I think I counted 9 in all. Luckily, you have half a glass of each offered first!
The tour of the kitchens and the chat with the staff was interesting. Good to see spotless surfaces.
The whole evening is stage managed. Food arrives along with wine, at their pace and with explanations. Again, I felt they had it just right .
Don't eat here if you want a starter, main and pudding, with recognisable food, at a cheap price and delivered discretely.( I can see the point though about the owners believing in their own hype!)
Do eat here if you want something unique from an evening.
We loved it.

2 Thank vickst
CT
“Unique, but left wanting”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We planned a trip to Copenhagen based solely on getting lunch reservations at Noma. While we ate some fantastic, amazing and inventive food in Copenhagen, we didn't think Noma lived up to the hype. Sure, the food was good and unique, but as other reviews have said - everything was fine but there were no highs. We also were left wondering about the main...While the other tasting menus we did (Geranium and Kiin Kiin) gradually built up to a stunning main course, Noma just felt like 20 courses of appetizers (albeit creative, tasty appetizers), followed by two desserts. We were surprised when dessert started and felt like something was missing. The last savory course did have a protein in it (duck), but it in no way felt like the pinnacle of the meal.

I would go to Copenhagen again in a minute and I don't at all regret going to Noma, but I would not return (even if reservations were easier to get!). I would be much happier with Geranium or Kiin Kiin or even Geist.

A quick tip for others - I didn't really know what to wear for lunch at Noma. I needn't have worried - I think everyone in the restaurant was wearing jeans. Again, a little disconcerting to be at such a highly rated establishment in jeans, but didn't impact my feeling of the meal.

2 Thank ATinCT