“Sushi just a little differently”
Review of Damindra

Damindra
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Damindra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 2,424 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Schull, Ireland
“Sushi just a little differently”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We arrived late in Copenhagen and a previous booking had gone wrong so some quick googling led us to this Restaurant. Just off Nyhaven situated on a residential street the outside didn't thrill us! The room was simply decorated and filled with Danish diners. We opted for the Chef's menu which promised 5 courses. The service started a little slowly but the charm (and later attention) of waiter made up for that. Each of the courses arrived on hand made ceramic plates, stylishly Japanese but maybe more Danish! The highlight of the meal was the blackened cod served with perfectly cooked fois gras, aubergine and lotus flower root! Other delights included tuna, tofu and an delicious avocado, wasabi and sour cream sauce, perfectly cooked prawns in that 'shredded wheat' pasta! The wine list was totally acceptable, and to top it off they presented us with some divine chocolately morsels. Value for money? it was quite expensive but we felt worth it!

1 Thank juzag

• Czech first
Celbridge, Ireland
“Fabulous! A meal I shall remember forever.”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were fortunate enough to read about Damindra on Tripadvisor and so we booked our table weeks before our trip to Copenhagen. My partner is a sushi fiend, I am not such a fanatic but I do like to partake occasionally.

We were greeted and our coats were taken. This is a restaurant with high end service. Some can find it a little stuffy and we were not expecting it but we were nevertheless impressed. We ordered some drinks and read the beautiful menus. Everything looked so delicious. I wasn't brave enough to go with the chefs choice menu as I am scared of things like eel, which more often that not turn up in chefs choice sushi plates in Ireland, therefore we both chose the sushi menu.

So began possibly the most memorable meal I have ever had. 3 weeks later I can still taste and picture all of the gorgeous dishes we were served. Seriously, it was that good! The waiters give infomation on the dishes as they are served so you can ask questions if you need to.

To begin we had salmon sashimi with a jalapeno dressing. The beautifully fresh slices of salmon came topped with dried mushroom and a sliver of crisp garlic. The spinach salad was beautifully dressed with a soy and citrus dressing that made me want to lick the plate. Lotus root crisps added texture and the jalapenos gave a delicious but not overpowering warmth to the whole dish. Amazing!

The second course was a beautiful Miso with egg and enoki. I normally find Miso overpowering and end up leaving it but this was just the right level of savoury, extremely tasty and I finished every last drop.

Then came the nigri - three different ones. Tuna, Yellowtail and Chefs Choice. Here we go, I thought to myself, bet this will be eel. But no! It was scallop and was accompanied by a delicate spring onion salsa which complemented it really well without drowning out the scallop. The tuna came with a very piquant but delicious salsa and the yellowtail shone in it's own glory.

The next dish was the highlight for me - the tempura prawn. I think the closest I have seen to this before is a dragon roll. I usually don't like hot prawns but this was something else. The sweet prawn surrounded with crispy tempura, surrounded by beautifully seasoned sushi rice and topped with avocado and sweet and sticky hoisin was an utter delight. Fantastic on so many levels!

To finsh we had tuna hosomaki and also a beautifully delicate crab california roll with roe, avocado and sesame seeds. We were so sorry to have to finsh and we even ate really slowly so as to savour every single mouthful.

We decided not to order dessert as after a meal like that we really didn't think that dessert could live up to what had gone before. So we ordered the bill.

However Damindra was not finshed with us yet! The very kind owner brought us over the most stunning dessert. A bitter lemon meringue with chocolate tofu and pistachio crumb. Under a fluffy Italian meringue sat tiny cubes of refreshing lemon. It was texturally comparable to preserved lemon but not salty, I don't think I've ever had it before. The chocolate tofu was deep and rich and very smooth while the pistachio crumb gave texture and flavour to the dish.

We paid an extremely reasonable bill which also included a glass of wine and a beer (<800kr) and ventured out into the night. I can truly say that if I ever have the pleasure of being in Copenhagen again I will definitely return. I think at this stage I have run out of positive superlatives but trust me, do eat here, you will not regret it! Thank you Damindra!

1 Thank T0ul0use
Sarpsborg, Norway
“No control”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Want to share an experience from Dec 13. Notice the high ranking and wanted to try

To the point:

We had a recervation that was honored, but felt really sorry for the party of 6 that had a booking but were rejected.

A lot of entusiasm upon arrival. Guess we were approached by at least 3 waiters. We placed a not too complicated order, which was a set menu, a bottle of Cava and water. Nevertheless it took 40 minutes before we got the bottle of Cava and it came at the same time as the first dish. The food itself was reasonably ok but no way as good as comments earlier could indicate. The salmon was not fresh, a bit fishy and tick slices.

The biggest surpise came when we asked for the bill. Even asking upfront if the price of the set menu was for 1 or 2 persons, we noticed double charge. We did not argue, just politely paid and left. A lot of observations were maid when waiting for the drinks, to mention two: The crew was had very little command of Danish language and they all ran around eachother. No wonder why it all was mixed up.

8 Thank R F
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Excellent food, poor time management”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We had a diner (couple). We arrived on time and got seated close to the kitchen directly, but had to wait 45 min to get the first dish & cocktails. We were kind of lucky as some couples arriving after us have been waiting 45 min - 1h to get seated at a table (place was full). In this kind of fancy restaurant you would expect a much better time management. Service was nice and friendly. Food was simply excellent, one of the best japanese food we have ever eaten (we especially loved the lobster). Cocktails were also very good

1 Thank Christophe C
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best sushi, maybe the best”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

For a dinner with my love. We had a christmas menu, 9 dishes. And every single dish was just exellent. Service was friendly, quick and professional. Very nice cocktails also.

Visited December 2013