“Mixed feelings on this place.”

Acapulco Resort & Convention & SPA
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Catalkoy
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have just come back from a week at this hotel and a few things both good and bad we found with it.

Bad: it catered for 2400 people, it is huge. And if you happen to want to eat at the same time then you would think there was a food shortage about to happen (which mostly it didn;t).
Good: There is a top floor which can be accessed walking up the stair facing you when you come in, but I would recommend they actually ban children up there so it is quieter.
Good: The staff seem all organised everywhere, it was a hug operation to ensure everything went smoothy so no riots happen!!

Bad:The pool, large, deep and because of this, cold. You went in because of you wanting to swim, stopping would mean you would go numb. Nobody was hardly in it.
Good:Beach and warmer sea would be a far better for all concerned.

Bad: Very limited entertainment.
Good: There was a violinist in the entrance of the restaurant every evening, could have done with being in the Pine Lodge bar, would have been more appropriate.

Bad: No Shops around, no way of just nipping out for a change of scenery.
Good: A local bus directly at the entrance of the reception, though the last bus from the local town was 7pm.

Good: Rooms (we were at Pine court 1) was nice
Bad: No tea, coffee in room, had a pine tree actually grow up in front of our balcony which did have no view anyway but could have been a way of entering our room, when the cleaner kept leaving out patio door open (both sides opens). This was a bit worrying.

Good: Had clean beach towels given every day.

A matter of opinion
There was a number of cats on the complex which being a cat lover we didn't mind, and the guests seem to like them, its not for everyone.

Bad: No shop on site which sold things you would want to buy (treats, drink for the beach.etc). Which they would sell water almost as high as a bottle of beer.

Good: You would always see the staff doing something, gardening, cleaning.etc They did take pride in the place.

Only 60 English was staying at the Hotel the time we went, majority was Turkish.

Overall we did like the hotel, we would have preferred to have been in a more quieter hotel.

Room Tip: Pine Court (there is 2 buildings) pick the one with the reception and bar at the bottom, there is an...
1  Thank Sonia H
ozerozbilen, Director of Sales at Acapulco Resort & Convention & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for your review and I appreciate your comments. You came at one of our busiest times Bayram which is a religious celebration when all families come together. Entertainment during this festive time is geared more around families and so a little different from our normal programmes. However, we did still had a show at the ampitheatre, resident singers in the lobby area and a different entertainer on another evening.
Our season is now changing and the sun is not out so long for this reason at this time of year the outdoor pool can be colder, but the sea should be still of a good temperature and of course we have our indoor pool.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Acapulco resort is advertised as 5* but is in reality 4* by European standards. Having said that everything was pretty good, the room, the staff, the food were all perfectly satisfactory. The resort was spacious and there were plenty of sunbeds, the private beach was large and swimming was good. The resort is a bit isolated in its own bay and you need a car or taxi to go anywhere as there is nowhere to walk to as such. The meal times can be a bit manic in the huge buffet style restaurant so be early to miss the mob. Evening entertainment is a bit repetitive and not as good as other places I have been to. Overall great value for money if you can get the deal I got so I cannot really complain!

Room Tip: Rooms in Pine Court are nice and quiet.
3  Thank Barry C

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments. We will certainly look to improve in the areas that you mention.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just arrived back and felt the need to write this.The food in this hotel was dreadful.The queues were so long and when you finally got to the front yuk it was luke warm and very repetative.We actually ate out a few nights which meant a bus there and a taxi back but it was better than the hotel.My husband witnessed staff fighting between themselves in one of the bars on two occasions.The pool was very very cold so swam in the sea instead.Beach was beautiful and complex itself very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank p5jjd

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is extremely rare that staff argue as they work as a big family/team at the Acapulco. Bad behaviour is not tolerated and I can assure you that what your husband witnessed was dealt with immediately and the staff are no longer with us. There are many chefs standing at the various food areas and if at any time a guest is not happy they would appreciate that they are told of the problem so that it can be rectified, occasionally there can be a technical failure with the burners.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

my partner and i have just spent a week at the resort and quite frankly it wasnt long enough.
the flight was excellent apart from three undesirables ,but you can not choose who you sit near .
we arrived late but in time for dinner .
woke up the next morning to a lovely buffet breakfast,
I wished i had booked the full board option as we ate at the pool side for lunch which was quite expensive 28 turkish lira for two coronas ,(£9.33)
dinner was again buffet style which was lovely plenty to chose from.
Accommodation was excellent which as located across the court yard (pine court) although little bungalows were scattered in the grounds for larger groups i think.
staff were immaculately clean and well mannered,
The only disappointing bit was the check out time 4,30 am which incidentally got changed the night before and no one thought to tell us ........... so we nearly missed the coach to the airport

Room Tip: pine court facing toward entrance sunny all day...
1  Thank TARA06
ozerozbilen, Director of Sales at Acapulco Resort & Convention & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for your kind review I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Acapulco.
I am intrigued by the Corona prices a beer is 7 - 8 TL and so you should have paid around 2.50 GBP at today's rate (have sent you a private email) . Hopefully you will be back and we will see you again at the Acapulco.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I don’t really know how to start, and how to end this review!...

So, I’ll do my best to keep it as short as possible. Whenever I start talking about our Cyprus experience, I simply cannot stop.

We (my parents, my 50 to be sister, my spouse & I) happily boarded our Onur Air flight in Istanbul bound for Ercan. This was my very first Onur Air experience, and to my surprise, OMG! What a service, how clean the airplanes were… how pleasant the crew was… such a short flight and yet a super service was given. It was definitely the right step for the right vacation. My sincere compliments to Onur Air!

After landing in Ercan we went through the passport control and we were met by the ETS (the travel agent) reps & bus take us to the hotel. After a short ride while my dad was telling his stories from 50 years ago we were at the Acapulco Resort.

At the resort we were met by another ETS rep who was less than enthusiastic (well young guy, he’ll learn to be cheerful at a job that pays the bills) to help us to settle there. I asked the questions that I was worried about – which building are we booked at? -where is the restaurant? –where is the walk-way to the beach/beach cafe? The answers were such that I insisted we would stay at the old building to make things more comfortable (easy walking distance to everything) for my elderly parents (also my mom being visually impaired the less walk the better). After having our lunch at one of the most incredible buffets with an amazing view we returned back to the reception only to learn our less than enthusiastic ETS rep decided we would be getting rooms in the new building. Thanks to the understanding & accommodating reception employees when I spoke to them, they said they would be able to change our rooms (next to each other) to the original/main building.

After checking in to our rooms, I realized they are pretty good size rooms, my first thing first “bed bug/any bugs in the room” investigation which returned negative in both rooms… The rooms were spotlessly clean!... Those who think this hotel is dirty may not want to travel anywhere else in the world (I travel for work quite a bit staying at hotels pretty much every week, and my spouse & I travel for pleasure a lot more than average so we’ve seen tons of hotels).

Immediately changing into our beach outfit and putting ourselves on the lounge chairs on that warm sand really started our vacation!

Now that we’re at the resort– I can make the comments about it. Beautiful, mid to large size, easy to get around kind of resort with an amazing beach (comparison would be Waikiki).

The best and the worse parts of the resort: the most delicious food they served at the Sunset Restaurant was great to eat & indulge, but we gained a lot of weight at the end of our 5 day stay. The desserts & cold vegetable dishes were to die for!... I ate so much vegetables, I think I stocked up for the next 3-4 months. Love, love, love the food at the resort. My sincere compliments to the chefs & to those who prepared the best menus everyday.

When it comes to the upper level dining vs lower level dining, we chose the upstairs. Less crowded, less steps to deal with for my mom as there was a very fancy elevator and it was brighter … The elevator at the Sunset Restaurant is seriously fancy! The deck for our breakfasts was the most memorable.

Now the waiters and waitresses that some people complain about (– really?): They are the sweetest waiters & waitresses out there. Have you ever met the gal from Mongolia (oh gosh, I forgot her name!), she is studying to be an engineer in Turkey, and working in Cyprus during the summer holiday? Her Turkish was as perfect as it can get … How about Meltem? She was so sweet, how can she be rude to anyone?. On a side note she was so cute, and trying to be discreet when she brought my sister’s surprise birthday cake. That made me giggle the whole night! And many others.

However, let’s talk about the hotel patrons eating at that restaurant … no, sorry, the patrons who were incredibly wasteful …. Taking all the food that’s out there to their tables, and leaving it untouched or just touched but not even half finished. C’mon people… how can you eat a dozen baklavas? Of course you can’t, and you’d leave 10 pieces baklava behind after all that dinner (one night I counted the baklavas at a table as the people left ).

“Simple ETIQUETTE at a buffet” should be provided by the hotel management to some of the hotel patrons who do not know how to behave. At a lunch the table next to us 3 fellows took about 6 bread loaves –not slices!!! Big loaves before they were sliced and left about 4,5 of it … I asked our waiter if I was seeing that correctly. He unfortunately confirmed that was the case. They took the bread loaves but left them untouched. I was sad, really sad to see the waste. Yes the food may be included in the package, you may take it as it’s free ... but the food is to be eaten, not to be wasted like that. Do you waste your own food at home? I sure hope not!

Now that I’m at etiquette I have some more comments:
We Turks (also many Europeans) became really rude towards the service providers and also to the people around us! Hence the negative comments by some people it’s a two way road!
-Waiting for the elevators at the hotel, one nicely dressed lady just barged in front of us. I just told my sister “I guess the lady is in a hurry, perhaps she needs to rush to the bathroom, let her go first” She turned around to tell me “Oh, I’m here for a conference” … whattttt? I couldn’t shut my mouth I had to answer that “really? We’re all here for something, why your conference should take priority” …

-Waiting to complete the order for my sister’s surprise birthday cake at the reception (a special form needed to be filled out), the receptionist was all alone to deal with so many ringing phones and me. I was waiting for her to finish her conversation on the phone to be able to continue with the form. A man walked right next to me and interfered, asking the receptionist (as soon as she hung up the phone) if he had any messages! I had to turn around to look at him if he was the Turkish Brad Pitt as he didn’t say his name, his room number, no identification… The look on the receptionist’s face was priceless (I think her name was Ebru). She was so polite towards him while I was ready to smack him in the head being so rude to me (no apologies interfering my conversation with the receptionist) and being so arrogant towards the receptionist. The receptionist was only able to tell him there are no messages for anybody at the time.

-At the beach: there are many smokers but none of them considerate enough not to throw their cigarette butts in the sand. I felt like making an announcement to remind them that we’ve already lost a lot of our natural beauties around the world, consciously losing more of the nature is just not acceptable. Collect the butts you throw there the whole day … Mother nature will punish us badly. Save the natural beauty. But instead I went to the reception to ask if they had a machine to collect all that mess the guests leave behind everyday. Sad, really sad …

I have a long list like this … it’s long and disappointing! And, there is nothing the hotel workers can do about these people.

For my sister’s birthday morning I ordered a sparkling wine. I called the hotel a week before to ask if I should arrange it in advance. The lady (Ezgi) who answered the phone told me to contact the bar the night before the birthday. She gave me the price list etc … When I went to the bar late at night to order it the night before my sister’s birthday, Ezgi was there, and she immediately remembered our talk on the phone. She was very kind, and sweet … I was really happy to meet her there. I asked the sparkling wine to arrive at 0740 (my sister usually wakes up at around 0730-0735) and as one of the TA comments said they’ve been charged for the lost but really not lost glasses I was skeptical to get the glasses & I told her we’d be using the glasses that are in the room. Make a guess when my order arrived the next morning?! At 0740 sharp!!! And with proper glasses, and we didn’t get charged for the glasses. So it all worked very well.

@Ezgi: it was a great job, and I left you a note before we left, I hope you received it … whether you received or not but once again a huge & sincere “THANK YOU & THANKS TO YOUR TEAM MEMBERS” for your fantastic service …. The timing was so good my sister was totally caught off guard on her birthday morning with a bottle of bubbly!

Anyway, with regards to our little side trip, we took the hotel shuttle to Kyrenia and then the dolmus to Nicosia. Once we were there we made our plans where to go. We thought the best option was to take 2 cabs (as we were 5), and get them to follow each other to the places we wanted to see.

Well, it turned out we had a private tour with these nice cab drivers for 60 liras per car. Oh, we wanted to have it as a private tour because my mom can’t race if it was an arranged touristic tour. Also, we all wanted to find my family’s house in Nicosia from 50 years ago. So, we got to visit/see pretty much everything from the North side including where my dad was posted those days (early 60s). We decided not to go to the Greek side (although it looked better taken care of & clean). We visited the house of my parents’ friends which is now a museum (that was little bit too emotional for my parents though).

Then my dad was able to give instructions to the driver to their house from the early 60s with no mistakes. And, yes … on my sister’s 50th birthday we were in Nicosia where she was born! My parents were reluctant to walk into the front yard, but I went to knock on the door to see if there was anyone home. It was disappointing that there was nobody home. We took lots of pictures, videos. And listened to my dad’s stories about their neighbors, their life … it was a happy ending of our day in that neighbourhood. It was hugely surprising for the cab drivers as they didn’t think my dad could have given the exact instructions to the house, they really shared our joy as well! Then we went to the market area in the old city. As per my dad, some stores remained the same, but some changed (ie a clothing store now a coffee shop etc). Then later in the afternoon we took the dolmus back to Kyrenia and to our hotel.

The next day, my spouse, my sister & I went to Kyrenia to look around. It was going to be too much for my parents so they stayed at the resort at their favorite spot, the beach café!... We went to the harbor, walked around the city, went to the medieval fort, which was amazing, and indulged the beautiful views of the Med Sea from the top! I personally liked the little town, and it wasn’t at all dangerous to walk around. After reading the comments about broken sidewalks, very high curbs etc I was little scared as I didn’t want any of us ending up at a hospital. But I didn’t see any such problems in Kyrenia (Nicosia was equally safe). Maybe it’s because I grew up in Istanbul, and lived there most of my life! Beijing, Istanbul or NY sidewalks would be more dangerous than Kyrenia. It’s a perception I guess.

Back to the Acapulco resort, it was just perfect for our needs. We loved the place. It couldn’t have been any better! We drove by the hotel Pia Bella. I asked the driver where the hotel guests would go for a swim, he said “to the pool”. When I’m so close to the Med I can only swim in the beautiful Med, not in the pool. That’s why we never went to the pool at the Acapulco.

Pros:
-beautiful/unbeatable beach / water
-fantastic restaurant with a great view, with a variety of delicious food (prepare to gain some weight though)
-different menu/buffet items everyday at the restaurant (except pasta and french fries)
-easy walk all around (I guess I should again say we were at the old building)
-beautiful grounds
-very nice/polite/friendly staff (it’s great to see the different cultures/backgrounds in the team)
-staff members were able to converse in English with my spouse whenever he asked a question (we didn’t feel like they couldn’t understand or answer the questions he asked)
-very, very relaxing place
-the beach café is the place to sit & daydream
-the rooms are clean with no bugs etc (but it may be normal to see bugs when the weather is that hot)
-one should stay here at this resort for at least a week or more
-if you don’t want to go out of the resort, it’s well designed to stay there for 2 weeks with no need to go out
-Beach café tea/coffee, beer prices are NOT high … they are priced at a normal level at any resort (sorry to those who think it’s a rip off - no resort/hotel around the world will have the same pricing as the local grocery store)
-The elevator at the Sunset restaurant is amazingly fancy!

Cons:
-the elevator at the hotel is way too dark, needs some bright bulbs –it’s almost scary!
-the villas – who designed them with no windows, with no views when they’re overlooking to that beautiful beach? Anywhere else in the world those would be designed in such a way that they would cost $500 a night but as is, they are nothing
-the casino, hmmm … don’t expect Las Vegas… it’s just a small casino where everybody seemed to be just whining about everything (customers & dealers)
-the music on the patio off lobby on some nights is very loud, we had to stay at the indoor bar area (however the girl who sings the Jazz music was really good – but we only got to listen to her once)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank idilertugay

It was such a pleasure to read your review, it was so interesting and enjoyable. Not just because your comments both pro and con were of value to us but also the reason why you traveled to Northern Cyprus with your family. I am very pleased that your sisters birthday went well and was so happy to read that on the same day you found your parents house.
Again thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experiences at the Acapulco and Northern Cyprus it was wonderful to read this and I hope that you and your family return one day.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I have just spent 3 weeks at the Acapulco 7th to the 28th of September.We have had several very good holidays there.The food is very good but obviously with a Turkish theme.
The staff are excellent and there is no problem understanding english providing you are patient and not rude.
Over the years the hotel has grown bigger and this can create problems if everybody descends on the restaurant at the same time.
The beach is very good,no extra charge for beach towels or sunshades.The very large fresh water swimming pool is very popular with its water slides and pop music.
We will certainly be going back again next year

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DBP
ozerozbilen, Director of Sales at Acapulco Resort & Convention & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you very much for your lovely review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that once again you found the services, staff and facilities to be of a good standard.
We hope to improve even more and so hope that if you return you will see many pleasant changes. We hope to see you at the Acapulco again next year.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Acapulco for five nights. We enjoyed the beach and the pools very much. Food was good, a lot of variety and everything tasted good especially the deserts. Room was spacious and clean. It had a nice balcony overlooking the pools and the beach. Restaurant also had a lovely view, again overlooking the beach. Hotel has a shuttle to Kyrenia (only 2 tl each way).

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool area maybe noisy at nights since they are close to the place where they h...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ziertuna

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Acapulco. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the food and facilities were enjoyable. Perhaps you will return in the future for a longer holiday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Catalkoy
The Olive Tree Hotel
The Olive Tree Hotel
#13 of 30 in Kyrenia
Dome Hotel
Dome Hotel
#11 of 30 in Kyrenia
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hotel
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hote...
#2 of 8 in Alsancak - Karavas
The Villa Club Hotel
The Villa Club Hotel
#19 of 30 in Kyrenia
Hilton Cyprus
Hilton Cyprus
#1 of 26 in Nicosia
Merit Lefkosa Hotel & Casino

Been to Acapulco Resort & Convention & SPA? Share your experiences!