“Room without a view”

Malpas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Catalkoy
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Well I have mixed opinions about this hotel, firstly it is really really good value, the views from the pool area and front of the hotel are excellent, the food was good, though somewhat unusual. Breakfast was nice with omelettes and hallumi cooked to order, and a huge selection of Turkish food (rightly so)

If you want pie and mash don't come here go to benidorm. For what it's worth we loved it.

Staff were very helpful, especially the waiters, one thing to consider is that if you don't finish you bottle of wine they will keep it and return to you the following evening, like they do on cruises.

The only downside was that we had a room at the rear of the hotel 319, though the room was pleasant the view was ..... Well it was a kind of wasteland/gravel car park, if you raise your head and look up at the mountains it's lovely though, the other problem is that the ac was a tad weak and we had to sleep with the door open, this means you have to listen to cars and coaches dropping people off at all hours (the gravel car park doesn't help)

The other criticism is that wifi isn't complimentary it will cost you 10tl for one day or 20tl for three days, ok it's not a fortune but it gives the impression of being somewhat tight fisted.

In short I loved the hotel, the food was good, the staff were great but next time I would stay at the front of the hotel.

Oh and the comments from other reviewers regarding the cost of drinks, yes they are in excess of the local area but they are still well below what we pay in the UK.

Hope this helps you.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Eric W
There are newer reviews for Malpas Hotel & Casino

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have very mixed feelings about this hotel, like most of the other reviewers. On arrival we were greeted pleasantly & shown to our room swiftly on the 1st floor, everything was great until we noticed that we had a shower room designed for their disabled clients, we went back to reception & asked whether we could change to a room with a bath & were informed that all those rooms were being 'cleaned' (at 5pm!), but we could change tmrw, not much use as we were only staying one night! So we had to endure a flooded 'wet' room, as the drainage was appalling. But overall the room was spacious with a private balcony & lovely view of the sea.

The evening 'buffet' meal was nice with plenty of choice, especially the desserts :), just be careful ordering drinks! (12tl for a beer),

The wellness & spa area was very nice, we had free access to the indoor pool (very cold!), Turkish bath, fitness centre & sauna.

We had a little gamble in the casino, but weren't offered any drinks or food even though we spent over an hour there, probably because we kept winning on the slots!

In the morning we went down for breakfast, again buffet style with plenty of choice (even bacon!), but no fresh fruit juices, just machined concentrate which was sickly sweet (Is this really a 5 star hotel, I'd have expected better, maybe I'm being fussy!).

We had a walk around the gardens, pool area & derelict church, which was all well maintained, apart from one broken swing hammock!

Overall we give the stay 4 out of 5 but only because we got a discounted price on our stay (thanks firsatkibris.com!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath when you book, otherwise you might be disappointed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mattriggy
Reviewed 2 May 2014

When we arrived at the hotel we were told our room was in the building down the hill from the main hotel, which was about 100 meters. When we saw our room we were very pleasantly surprised to find we had a Queen sized bed plus a single bed. The room was on the ground floor with a pleasant outlook. We were surprised to see the rail along our balcony was still covered in plastic but thought no more about it.

It was not until the next morning that we realized that there had been a rush to get the room ready for occupancy because we had no cold water in the bathroom making it impossible to wash or flush the toilet. This situation was remedied almost immediately once we reported it.

The other problem we had in the annex was WiFi. I need WiFi for my work so this was one of the criteria I had used when deciding to book. For the non technical among us may I just say that it was so slow that it drove me nuts and kept disconnecting completely.

After about 2 days I really couldn't handle the WiFi problems and asked to be moved into the main hotel after discussing things with the hotel IT Manager, managed to be relocated in the main building.

If WiFi is important to you, I would advise you refuse a room in the annex. Other than that though this was a great resort. The meals were really well cooked and presented, whilst the table service was nothing short of superb.

The pool area is beautiful and again well staffed with food and drinks.

The health spa has a good swimming pool which my wife decided was too cold for her taste. It was the Jacuzzi though that was a bitter disappointment. It was the same temperature as the swimming pool. I raised this with the Spa Manager who insisted that a Jacuzzi should be 25-27C and would not budge from this position.

The steam room and Turkish Baths were fine and the Classic Massage my wife had was superb.

There is a very well stocked cocktail bar in the hotel and given this is a 5 Star resort the prices are surprisingly inexpensive. Once again the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful.

Overall, this is a lovely hotel, and every single member of the staff did their very best to see we had a great holiday.

Yes I would book it again

5  Thank TerribleTerry
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Where do I sart, we stayed here on the 19th to the 16th April and i must admit it marred my holiday, apart from sheila on reception who is great and the rest of the staff would do well to learn off her abour customer service!
The prices here are EXTORTIONATE, you cannot even take in a bottle of water in without the gestapo checking up on you and you are cross examined when you go out of the hotel as to what you are buying at the shop (we were going for cigarettes incidently) as they pointed to their disclaimer, something about health&safety.. code for profeiteering methinks! The beer here is quadruple the price of that in the town and the wine at night is 3 times the price, a bottle of water is nearly £3 in the mini bar and thrice the price in the reastauraunt at night, more than anywhare else in Catalkoy& Kyrenia! we heard that people got shopping confiscated after their supermarket trips, honestly I thought I'd left School years ago! Also the staff have attitudes except the afformentioned shelia, who is fantastic.
The food is below average for a supposed 5 star, not even 3 star in my opinion, burgers& chips on the first night? how on earth is that 5 star. I got the feeling if any of these issues would have been adressed by me or my partner they would have swept it under the carpet so no point really. On the positives, the rooms are lovely and spacious, great views and clean. its a bit out of the way though and you must get a local bus to Kyrenia (girne) on the main road which is cheap and frequently on the hour UNTILL 7PM, after that its a taxi ride but they are cheap enough.
If you can afford the overpriced drinks food& mini bar here then no problem, if not, go out all all day as we did and get some great food and drink at the harbour, in the old town or catch a bus to Nicosia to experience the real turkish hospltality.( I will be reviewing where we went on trip advisor shortly)
TheMalpas own private beach and restaurant (conaros) were not open at this time so I cannot comment on them but I did see in the blurb that hotel guests get a whole 20 PERCENT off! wow.. Sorry Malpas, must do better.

Room Tip: pool views & sea vies are the best
7  Thank adele b
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is lovely, the views out to sea and of the mountains are also lovely as was the pool area. However the price of mini bar items and drinks in the hotel is nothing short of scandalous. We stayed from 19th of April to 26th April 2014 and the exchange rate in the town of kyrenia was typically around 3.5 Turkish Lira to the pound, for a 50cl (almost a pint) it was 12tl which is over 3 quid a pint...yet just over the road from the hotel is a restaurant called Bo Thai where I think we paid 5/6tl for a 50cl which is under 2 quid a pint. You can also buy 4 efes (turkish lager very nice) 50cl bottles for 11.90tl which is under a pound a bottle from the supermarket which is about a 10min walk from the hotel. Beware though as you will have to smuggle these items into the hotel as people on our coach home had drinks and even bags of crisps confiscated by the prison guards at the door! A 60g bag of ruffles at the supermarket is 1.50tl yet at the hotel mini bar in your room they'll cost you 10tl, absolutely ridiculous is not only the prices they charge but that the reason they give for not being allowed to take food and drink into the hotel is for health and hygiene reasons! We were made to feel very uncomfortable and like criminals having to smuggle beers, wine and crisp into our room. Beer in the casino at the hotel however is free as long as you're playing on the slots or various roulette/black Jack tables although again you are made to feel very intimidated with security all watching like hawks and talking on walkie talkies all the time, we stuck 10tl in the fruit machine playing 1 line at 0.02 per go and had many free beers and ended up winning that 10tl back ha ha brilliant. The hotel is about 15mins on a bus from kyrenia or girnie as the locals call it and the hat our area is very nice with many bars and restaurants and you can flag a bus down by the side of the road you don't need to be at a bus stop but they didnt run very regularly when we were there 1 every hour at around 20 past the hour into kyrenia for 2.5tl, however the last bus back that passes the hotel is around 7/7.30 but other bus companies may be later but we didn't find one that went back any later. The taxi back from kyrenia is 20tl before 20.00 o'clock but after 20.00 o'clock it goes up slightly to 25tl which is still reasonable as it's just over £5. Special mention to Sheila the guest relations lady who was absolutely marvelous and made us feel very welcome at the hotel, she is from Yorkshire and will really go out of her way to make you feel comfortable in this very hostile hotel environment. The rest of the staff weren't overly friendly really other than the odd one or two working behind the bars or collecting dishes in the restaurant (I use that term loosely as the food whilst some of it being ok it certainly isn't 5star quality) the night manager who took our bags upto our room was very pleasant too but we only seen him that one night. I thought northern Cyprus was really nice yet I would definitely recommend finding a hotel closer to kyrenia center that doesn't charge you a fortune for drinks/food. Steer clear of the malpas.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mick m
MalpasHotelKyrenia, General Manager at Malpas Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your valuable feedback. We are sorry to read that your stay with us was not pleasant for you. I am sure that you will agree with us that we are responsible with pleasure (as we as Malpas Hotel for sure do) for your precious health’s while your stay with us. Food and drinks in our hotel are under continuous control and for your safety only solicit you not to use the food from outside. The cost comparison you made is again due to the quality and services of five stars hotel. I would also like to add that comparing to many hotels and even shopping centers our price is reasonable
Usually all our staff is trying their best to serve you with our exclusive services. Your feedback will for sure help us to improve our services for you. Once again we are sorry for your unpleasant visit.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Firstly the flights to Ercon airport are truly awful.You have to land at Antalya airport in Turkey and idle away 60 minutes before the plane takes off for Cyprus.We eventually arrived at the Hotel at 11.15pm.The check in was quick but only because Sheila was on duty( a lovely lady from England who has been there for 8 years)
The room was clean and comfortable,the bathroom was ok.The shower was over the bath so you had to be very careful stepping out as it was a deep drop down to the floor.Why they cannot have walk in showers I do not know.When you are getting on in years it is very dangerous to have to step over the side of the bath.
The next morning we went to the welcome meeting and were informed of the trips that were available and also told where the nearest supermarket was to buy water and drinks.Armed with that information we decided to get the Hotel shuttle bus into Kyrenia.After having spent a wonderful day walking around the harbour and having a quayside meal we popped into the local supermarket to buy water and drinks for the room.On the return journey to the Hotel we noticed the driver on his mobile phone.Most people who are driving are on their mobiles so we thought nothing of it.On arrival back at the Hotel certain members of staff were waiting for us.As we stepped off the bus they grabbed our water and drinks and confiscated them.The Hotel has a policy whereby food and drink are not allowed in the Hotel if they have been purchased outside.We were told we could have the items back when we leave.The Manager then came up to our group and started talking to the staff in their own language despite him being fluent in English.He also turned his back on us and we think that this is because the group involved two women.As a result of this action we decided that we would not purchase anything from this Hotel.So if you want a drink go into the Casino where all the food and drink is free and you do not have to gamble to get it.
The rest of the staff are rude and unfriendly there is only Sheila who makes you feel welcome.
The food is quite poor.It is geared up for the Turkish clients.I do not expect chips every night but I do expect something that is edible and tasty.The salads were the worst I have seen anywhere in the World.If you have a sweet tooth then the sweets will be ideal for you but you do need a very sweet tooth.
The pool area was very pleasant and the pool snack bar was quite reasonable.
There is a mini bar in the room but it is so expensive we did not bother with it.
On checking out they tried to charge us 60TL for use of the mini bar.I informed them that we did not use it and I was not prepared to pay.This they accepted,but I did find out later that they had tried this trick on nearly everyone who was checking out that day.
Would I go back to Kyreniia ;yes if I could find more direct flights.
Would I go back to this Hotel;definitely not.
We met Alison and Conrad our comrades in arms and had a fabulous time with them especially the nights in Kyrenia with the locals.

Room Tip: Pool or sea view are best although you do not get sunshine on the balcony.If you want sunshine then...
4  Thank frankChorleyLancs
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Firstly we have never felt that a review has been necessary where ever we have stayed in the world, but this hotel certainly does.Malpas is a beautiful hotel shame about the reception staff they are so rude . The first day we used the shuttle bus into kyrenia which is fabulous village and the people treat u exceptional well, spent most nights there joining in the Turkish traditional atmosphere, on retain to hotel the hotel staff where waiting for us outside as we had brought water and wine for our room, we had no idea this was not allowed , as we had just arrived. They made us feel like we had stolen it as they grabbed the bags immediately , then rudely spoke in Turkish with their backs to us , amongst themselves, not a great start. We understand rules but we don't expect rudeness like this , we complained about this and bless Sheila she was very kind lady but they kept the water and wine said we could drink it outside the hotel lol joke!!!!! On check out we were accused of using the mini bar , amongst most people on our coach , we couldn't afford to use this facility as it was so expensive . The food was just ok , our room was clean , but balcony was dirty and never cleaned . Malpas is far away from everything and not a five star. In conclusion we meet some fabulous English people whom made our holiday a fabulous one . If we return to kyrenia we won't be stayin here. Alison & conrad from midlands .

Room Tip: Back rooms are not suitable, £20 a night extra for pool view
3  Thank ALISON S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Catalkoy
The Olive Tree Hotel
Hotel Pia Bella
Hotel Pia Bella
#5 of 30 in Kyrenia
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hotel
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hote...
#2 of 8 in Alsancak - Karavas
Merit Lefkosa Hotel & Casino
Oscar Resort Hotel
Oscar Resort Hotel
#11 of 30 in Kyrenia

Been to Malpas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!