“Lovely family holiday at Malpas!”

Malpas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Catalkoy
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just returned from Malpas hotel, after having a lovely pampered holiday, the service was so good at the hotel that we felt for the first time we had to write a review.
What makes the hotel so special is the friendly staff that can't do enough for you, around the pool they were on hand to help moving/putting up umbrellas, and even laying out our towels on the sun beds. Same attention given to the guests in the hotel restaurants who accommodated our needs, which included setting up a 7 seater table and continually checking we had everything we needed (a special thanks to "Sunshine" who made us feel like part of the family).
The hotel itself is clean and comfortable and the rooms are of a high standard. We found the rooms in the annex to be larger, but the sea views were nicer from the main hotel.
We stayed half board, there was a wide variety of food in the main restaurant. Special arrangements had been made for our late arrival and early departure to ensure we had been catered for.
Although, we felt that the hotel would benefit from more night time entertainment.
The only downside would be the long 6hr flight it takes to get there!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tali_Wxm
MalpasHotelKyrenia, General Manager at Malpas Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice remarks about our hotel. We appreciate your nice words about the room, facilities and the staff. We are very happy because the hotel had covered your expectations.
It makes me very happy to read that my entire team was able to facilitate a pleasant stay for you and your dear family. Now that you have experienced the beauty of our city and enjoyed our services, we do hope to see you back at Malpas Hotel.

Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you need with regards to possible future travel plans.

Best Wishes from Malpas Family

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Malpas Hotel is a place that I recommend to you travelers who are planning to visit North Cyprus for staying .
The place is friendly . The view is beautiful . You can find a lot of seat around the pool! The pool staff are very caring and attentive .
Rooms were clean . Breakfast was good but the dinner , we didn't like very much . However the hospitality of the restaurant staff was more than good . We really appreciate the smile and kindness of Aabid Ali ( one of the restaurant best waiters) . The short conversations that we had with him , would compensate the taste of the food :)
One of the advantages of Malpas is its location which is close to the city of Girne.
I asked other people in the tours we went around the North Cyprus about the food quality and taste in other hotels where they had stayed and they all said they had the same quality as Malpas! So now that I know that, I will return to Malpas again for it is "The " place for relaxing!

Room Tip: No Bungalows please!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank nilou2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our Hotel. We are please that you enjoyed your stay in Northern Cyprus and with us.
It was our pleasure to read your very kind review and we are glad to know you had a wonderful stay in our hotel.
We hope to see you again soon as it will be pleasure for us to serve you again.
I will take the pleasure to Thank you on and behalf of all the Malpas hotel team

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a week on 5th July. After arriving late in the evening, we were directed straight to the restaurant for dinner and advised to check in at our own leisure.
Buffet dinner was plentiful (even after arriving late) and food was brilliant.
We were allocated too 140, which had the most AMAZING views of the pool area and sea. Even our porter said it was one of the best rooms for watching the incredible sunset...... it didn't fail to disappoint. Our room was spacious and clean and had little amenities in the bathroom.

The Pool Area was clean and plenty of sun beds to go around. I was worried the night before there may be a struggle to get a bed, however this was never an issue. The Pool Staff couldn't do enough for you. Very attentive and always ensured they were on hand, even if you needed to adjust your umbrella!
we travelled to the Beach Club for a couple of half days (hired a car), the most chilled out area. A slight breeze which felt amazing. Staff again couldn't do enough. My only bad word to say about this area was that it could have done with a little bit of a tidy up, i.e painted etc. However, this didn't impact our holiday in any way.
The restaurant aways has plenty of choice for both breakfast and evening meal. A special mention to Tameen, our waiter, who really couldn't do enough for you. Worked tirelessly to ensure you we served quickly and efficiently.
We visited the Jazz Bar most evenings to have a chill out and Brandy Sour (highly recommended). This was a very chilled out area of the hotel and again, the staff couldn't do enough for you. A special mention to Alona, who always took time to have a chat with us at an evening. I think its important to have some sort of a relationship with the staff. She was very complimentary of the working conditions of the hotel and expressed how much she enjoyed wiring at the hotel.
We hired a car for 3 days whilst we were there from Bird Car Hire. Car was dropped off on time and we took ourselves off the explore the island.
One thing that strikes me on here, is that many people complain about how remote the hotel is. When you read the description the hotel and travel agents give you, it clearly states the location. So please, don't be surprised that bars, restaurants and supermarkets are further than walking distance. You can walk to them, however wouldn't recommend due to the heat.
We visited St Hilarian Castle, highly recommended. The views from up there are simply breathtaking. Take plenty of water with you as believe me, its quite the climb, but the views are so worth it. The highlight of my holiday.
The bar prices are not expensive, however you will pay more than you would down the local supermarket or indeed a bar or restaurant in town. After reading some of the reviews, we were worried that we would end up spending a fortune drinking and eating at the hotel, but we were pleasantly surprised. Considering most of us don't flinch at paying the prices we pay back at home is shocks me how many people complain at the prices at the hotel.

We received maid service every day on the holiday and have no complaints here.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying at this hotel and would not hesitate to stay again. In fact, already been looking.

If anyone would like more information, please message me and I will be happy to reply.

I truly amazing holiday, with incredible memories.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 140 and highly advise you ask to be in the main hotel with a sea view. Even if you...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DibbsW83
MalpasHotelKyrenia, General Manager at Malpas Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Malpas Hotel and for the time you have taken in writing on Trip advisor.
We are glad to always see our guests return, We appreciate your nice words about the room, facilities and the staff. We are very happy because the hotel had covered your expectations.
I will be our pleasure to serve you again.
Your comments motivates us and shows us that we are on the right path.
Hope to see you soon.
I will take the honor to Thank you on behalf of whole Malpas family.
Warm regards

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just returned from my first visit to Northern Cyprus and would strongly recommend it to anyone.
Yes the flight isn't the best (we had to fly via Antalya) but there's not much you can do with the Greek/Turkish political issues at the minute - definitely pay for extra legroom.
The Malpas was amazing, modern design, well landscaped gardens, stunning pool area and great restaurant/bar areas. We stopped in the main building and our double room at the end of the hotel had both mountain and sea views which was fantastic to watch the sun setting whilst preparing to go down for dinner. The room was clean with the maids coming every day.
The pool area was very relaxing, plenty of loungers all with large sun shades if needed surrounding a huge, clean pool which was a welcome sight as the temperatures reached 42 degrees on some days!
As for the food, in both the pool bar and restaurant we couldn't fault it, plenty of it, large choices, well cooked and tasty. The restaurant is a buffet style but this just meant I could have as much as I wanted - especially the dessert section!
Despite all of this the main thing that really stands out is the staff - very attentive, polite, professional and nothing was too much trouble for them. Temeen in the restaurant was brilliant along with the staff in the Jazz Bar who make an amazing amaretto sour!
Location wise the hotel is slightly out of Kyrenia (about a 10min drive) and I would recommend a hire car as this gave us an excellent way to explore the island at our own pace.
Overall we were very happy with this hotel and would definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sam F

Dear Guest,
It makes me very happy to read that my entire team was able to facilitate a pleasant stay for you.
Such comment motivates us more than anything and shows us we are on the right path. We will look forward to seeing you with us.
I will take the pleasure to thank you on behalf of Malpas team.
Warm Regards.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel on 22nd June. We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted by concierge who directed us to the restaurant (we arrived late evening and there was food in the restaurant provided which was a nice touch)
They took care of our cases, bringing them up to our room, which was in the annexe separate from the hotel. We stayed on the 3rd floor. We could not fault the room - it was upgraded as part of our holiday package with Cyprus paradise. It felt very large, new and clean, looking out to the sea in the distance.
The pool area is lovely with fresh towels every day provided and staff to help you sort out the sunshade and loungers.
Food was great, lovely breakfast with lots of choice, slightly repetitive but we have found this to be the case in most hotels! The waiter Tameem was extremely friendly and efficient and deserves recognition as he always worked so hard! I also found Nuket (guest relations) to be really approachable and friendly - she was often around the pool and hotel lobby to help with any problems guests may have. We also found Onur (Cyprus paradise Rep) to be a fountain of knowledge and very helpful.
The only slight issue were the cleaners often forgot to replenish toilet paper...we had to make a few calls to housekeeping! The hotel bus times to the harbour were not correct and there was some confusion but overall we found this an excellent hotel and we shall be returning! Loved Northern Cyprus...the Castle and Monastery are recommended to visit and Kyrenia is a must for those who love (fake) designer handbags!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia73leeds
MalpasHotelKyrenia, General Manager at Malpas Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure for us to serve you.
Thank you for making us aware of some problems with room service and shuttle timings , so that we have the opportunity to improve our guest satisfaction.
We are always glad to see our guests return, it is a pleasure and hope to see you again soon.
we will be glad to serve you with our exclusive services.
I will take the pleasure to thank you on behalf of all the Malpas hotel team.
warm regards from Cyprus.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just back from staying at this hotel. Had a wonderful time with lots of good memories.
Plus points included excellent food on offer with good waiter service, a bright and welcoming pool area with beds aplenty and overall a welcoming environment in which to relax and enjoy Kyrenia.
A special mention is reserved for Nuket, the Guest Relations Manager, who took on board any quibbles and resolved immediately. She was a credit to the hotel, (pay rise and promotion required!)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for finding our food and services superb.We appreciate your nice words about the staff.
It was a pleasure for us to serve you. hope to see you again
warm regards on behalf of the Malpas family.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Reviewed this hotel 4 years ago and returned as we enjoyed it so much. However things have changed! We stayed in an annexe separate from main hotel and I have to say it was lovely and quiet and we actually preferred it.. On arrival I noticed there was hair on bathroom floor, I just grabbed some loo roll and picked it up. We arrived on Sunday 22/06 and by midweek it was obvious that the bathroom floor had not been swept let alone mopped at any time. The sheets were not changed. The bath which had shower over it was also not cleaned nor was anything wiped or dusted, we did express our concerns to guest relations and I have to say the lady was very pleasant and did tell us there been several complaints over cleaning in the annexe and that she would investigate. She came back to let us know there was a communication problem between the Turkish housekeeper and the staff from the Philippines and what was required of them hopefully this has been put right. The pool area is still very pleasing on the eye but it now needs attention to the decking around the edge where the sunbeds are located. The actual tiles and around the edge of pool looked quite dirty and the area around pool did not look like it had been cleaned for sometime .There are quite a lot of celebrations at the hotel weddings etc and that is not a problem, you can hear all their lovely music coming from the pool area in the evening but it makes you realize how little in the way of entertainment there is for guests. The hotel has a casino and this seems to be what they promote .Food is not as good as I remember and was extremely repetitive, steamed fish and boiled chicken most nights with pilau rice. It was all a bit on the cool side and I did suffer from an upset stomach on one occasion We totally respect that the hotel caters to all nationalities, British and Turkish alike but we Brits do queue and take our turn but there are others that push in during breakfast queues for omelettes and demand a fried egg NOW and they get served first. I do not blame them, but the staff who on 2 occasions totally ignored my husband and served them first when she had already taken my husbands order. All that said, I think if these comments are taken in to account and a few improvements made we will return. I will keep my eye out for other reviews in the future. Now to the good bits ,Mehmet and Faheem two lovely guys who work the pool bar during the day are an absolute joy and a real credit to the Hotel they are always smiling and nothing is too much trouble. The waiter who stood out for us was Sunshine who introduced himself the night we arrived and yes he always had a sunny smile on his face .Come on Malpas get those cleaning issues out of the way and you will have a winning hotel again that will deserve it's 5stars Hope to be back next year!
Ps. Free shuttle bus to harbour as too far to walk, check the times though as we got mixed up between the one to beach and the one to town and waited an hour in reception

Room Tip: We had an annexe room and we could see the sea, it was quieter that the hotel and we did not get noi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank crofton3C

Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that on your second visit due to the cleaning issues you had some uncomfortable times with us we apologize for it and as you were informed also during your stay with us we have taken act on this subject very seriously when you visit us again you will see the difference. Thank you for making us aware of these problems, so that we have the opportunity to improve our guest satisfaction.
we appreciate your kind words about our staff.
I will take the pleasure to thank you on behalf of the Malpas team.
warm regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Catalkoy
The Olive Tree Hotel
Hotel Pia Bella
Hotel Pia Bella
#5 of 30 in Kyrenia
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hotel
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hote...
#2 of 8 in Alsancak - Karavas
Merit Lefkosa Hotel & Casino
Oscar Resort Hotel
Oscar Resort Hotel
#12 of 30 in Kyrenia

Been to Malpas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!