“Not bad at all ..”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Esentepe
Limburg
“Not bad at all ..”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

If your priority coming to Korineum is golf, then you should be pretty happy here. The course is quite challenging in areas .. some tight fairways and when you're off them take another ball; the thorny bushes seriously protect their property, including your balls. The views are brilliant, tee's flat and greens true and fast .. but be careful, trust your feet and not your eyes when checking the green slopes.
I was quite surprised that most (of the younger) golfers walked around with trolleys. I'm definitely not unfit but it's something I couldn't do; far too hilly.
Regarding the hotel; the Elite room we had was good quality and quite spacious.
Staff in the hotel we found very friendly indeed and service speed also good .. a different experience from other reviews we've read.
Breakfast was not too good, just OK. The only downside for me was the obligatory HP evening meal. The cold buffet part was decent, the sweets were nice and tasty but the warm buffet was a disappointment.
The quality of the cooking left a lot to be desired and there was far too much of Chicken and more Chicken, very little Lamb or Beef (and no pork at all of course in North Cyprus). The food only got 5/10 from me.
Drinks were definitely not expensive in the hotel. (or anywhere else on the island)
Although at the beginning of April the weather was good, the pool bar was not yet open, neither was anything at the beach. That was a shame.
You could also get to feel that you were in Helsinki in summer because about 80% of the guests were made up of big groups of Finns. Not a problem, unless you want to use the practice facilities in the morning, they take them over.
I would recommend the hotel more if you could book it WITHOUT the half pension and eat evening meals at the many pleasant restaurants in Kyrenia. We also did this but felt it a shame for the money we payed for the unwanted half pension.
As I mentioned at the beginning .. if your priority is golf, then you won't be too disappointed.
I'd advise hiring a car and have the freedom to visit other parts of the island ..
Not a heck of a lot has changed there in the 40 years since we last lived on the island. The North luckily doesn't have that mass tourism that South Cyprus has .. a lot more relaxed here.
Beware though of what seems to be hundreds of speed camera's. They are everywhere and even on the dual carriageway from the airport they are set at 65 km (+/-40mph)
We enjoyed our time back on the island.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Korineum has the only serious golf course in N. Cyprus. It was a pleasant surprise: well maintained and pleasant to play. Some holes are hilly and you will lose the occasional ball when you have to hit over a ravine. Good practice facilities.
We had nice weather late November/early December, which was high season at Korineum. Drawback: most flights are four balls with some high handicappers, so count at least five hours for a round; it didn't help that the starting times were only eight minutes apart. Try to start as early as possible to avoid long waiting.
Don't go for golf alone: North Cyprus is less touristy than the South and has some nice cities and other things to visit. Since Korineum lies in the middle of nowhere you better rent a car.
The hotel is nice. Rooms are ok with good bathroom facilities. Breakfast buffet is good. Buffet dinner for half-boarders has a good choice of international and local cuisine, but at the end of the week we found that the cooking was a little bit bland. Service was very friendly, few complaints here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1080Michael
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Generally the reosrt and golf course are good, however there were several really annoying issues which left my wife and I with a feelings of dissappointment and frustration. The service in the bar and on the terrace was very slow, there were plenty of staff but they seemed to spend most of theiir time talked to each other and bickering about who should serve and who was in charge of the till! To be fair when we were served, it was always very courteously and with a smile. The real issues were with the golf cousre staff and those in the proshop. The average time for a round of golf was over 5 hours (nearly 6 one day). I booked a 3 round pass costing 225 euros (the proshop asks for payment in euros and not Turkish currency!). After playing the first 2 rounds, I had booked to play the thrid round but when I arrived at the proshop (about 9.15am), I was told that the person that I was to play with had gone out a couple of hours earlier and that I would now be playing at 10.40 and the expected time for the round would be well over 5 hours (we are very busy today and the course is absolutely full). I thought that this was not very fair and as this was the last day of our holiday (flying home that evening) asked if they would they give me a credit note for some if not all of the 75 euros that I had outstanding. No, sorry, not company policy. Manager was not available, in a meeting for at the next couple of hours, but anyway he will only insist that this is company policy. I could come back another time and use my 75 euros for golf. North Cyprus is a long way to go for a round of golf so I doubt that I will be able to avail myself of their offer! My wife and I would have used the credit to have a late lunch and buy things from the club, however they were happier to just keep the money and shrug off our complaints. The golf course was very busy so they will not be worried about my view but to others going, beware, once they have your money, customer satisfaction is the least of their worries.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank peterfitz6
Espoo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is excellent with spacious, clean rooms. The people at the hotel and golf course are very friendly in a genuine way. The only minus concerning the golf course is the numerous , thorny bushes along the fairways. Once the ball finds it's way into one of these , it's lost forever. The time-table for the shuttle into and from Girne was not entirely satisfactory.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JoukoEspoo
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were looking for a sunny week of golf in mid October. Korineum golf was offering exactly what we were aiming for! Weather was perfect +25-30C the whole week. So overall we were pleased and happy. The some more details...
Place is more quiet than Turkish Belek resorts. Hotel is right there in the golf course and practice areas, which worked out great for us, as we were keen on doing some putting and chipping after the golf rounds.
We had a room for three that promised a jacuzzi. I was sort of expecting round, big jacuzzi with a sea view, but jacuzzi turned out to be a bath tub with some bubble streams. It is ok after a golf round but don't set your expectations too high.
If you pay for the sea view, there is some distance to the sea. I would still prefer sea view over the other side. Overview is nice towards sea. On the other side, there is only pool and not much else to see. Golf course view is 100 meters away.
This resort is really focused on golf players. Beaches and pools are there but they are not the first notch. Beach is stony with unfinished buildings. Pool is small and shallow (1.40m).
Golf course is beautiful and in excellent shape (green), but prepare for a tough walk and take enough golf balls. You need to stay on the fairway or you lose ball into the bushes. Even if you haven't previously lost many golf balls, take an extra set of balls this time :)
Every fairway is either uphill or downhill. If you are not fit and interested in sweating, rent an electronic trolley or car! Make sure your electronic trolley has a good battery! Our trolley run out of battery 2 times out of four rounds of golf! I did carry my golf bag and it was ok, but all the drinks were in my wife's and daughter's golf bags. On average, you need 1.5-2L of water per round. If you rent a golf car, note that you need to stay on the golf car path. This creates a lot of walking to your ball and back even if you stay on the fairway. Golf cars are not allowed on the fairways unless you have a medical reason. Electric trolley is a good compromise.
Hotel is half board i.e. breakfast and dinner included. It was a bit of a surprise that dinner did not include even water. These are available with separate charge/reasonable price. We did not try ala Carte due to bad reviews by other guest here in tripadvisor. I felt them to be right due to lunch experiences... service was a bit slow. Nevertheless, Club house lunches were good. I loved Quesadilla and capuccino at the club house.
Breakfast included a chef making omelets and pancakes, which was a good bonus.
I would recommend having some Turkish Liras, because it is cheaper than using euros.

Room Tip: Rooms toward sea are better. The higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank J0uniM
Lillehammer, Norway
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were 14 senior golfers who traveled to Cyprus with no knowledge of this place. Boy is this a great resort. The course is immaculatly kept, very demanding, and is best suited to 0 - 10 hcp, but don't worry enjoy the fabulous views from the tees, the wild life, the immaculate greens. Then a nice cold beer on the terrace where one could get a good lunch served as well.
A good proshop with all the services you need is also available.

The rooms are away from the main building in five separat building, looking north toward the mainland. A tip, book a room with sea view, the sunset is better! The rooms we had were very large, cleen, full aircond. with a good bathroom.
We had a buffee dinner included in our price, and found the food very good indeed. In fact the service we recieved could not have been better.
The hotel has also a bus service to the beach, and to Kyrenia throughout the day. Well worth taking advantage of.
We only had a week , never saw a cloud in the sky, and we all wanted to stay for another week, it was simply that good.

Room Tip: All the rooms in block 5 are large. A sea viewis to be preferred
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BMVMAN
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is kind of a cross over review with the Malpas - we booked to stay at the Malpas through Cyprus Paradise but when arriving in Cyprus we were advised that the hotel was full and we were to stay here. I would not advise anyone to book through Cyprus Paradise !! They never made a booking for us at the Malpas, they completely miss sold us the holiday.
This hotel - is in the middle of no where - is a golf resort, so hope you like golf - has no entertainment at all in the evenings and a taxi to and from the harbour is £20.00 each way! - the food was good, I enjoyed it - the drinks are reasonable and they do Strongbow - small pool with the same CD played on loop - staff, most are OK there are a few which are rude - very clean - rooms are lovely - the beach area is very nice and much better than the pool area - if you want a very quite holiday this is for you. this wasn't the hotel I would have booked as a young couple, we were made to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esentepe
Merit Park Hotel & Casino
#5 of 30 in Kyrenia
Hotel Bellapais Gardens
Hotel Bellapais Gardens
#1 of 4 in Bellapais

Been to Korineum Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!